pocelo je pocelo ... turneja 2006.

"After we went to the Hobgoblin Irish pub in Rippongi for a couple of beers but not that late – everyone a bit knackered – we had after all been through 11 time zones in less than a week since Detroit. And of course big show tomorrow."

ON THE BULLET TRAIN TO HIROSHIMA THURS OCT 26 1pm

Sat here next to our press guy from EMI UK William Luff and behind us Steve is doing an interview for Classic Rock with Geoff Barton. Yes the very same GB who in 1979 for Sounds coined the immortal phase the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. Classic Rock are doing a major feature from Japan for an issue near to the UK Tour and Geoff is talking to all the band separately whilst the outrageously famed photographer Ross Halfin (check out his new book of Maiden pics – really great and brought back a lot of memories to all of us) is hassling everyone to smile and pose in front of something Japanese looking – as if we haven’t done all that many times in the past!! But Classic Rock want a Japan issue so here we go again – where are those swords. It can be a drag but we know Geoff and Ross and the Classic Rock guys so well it really isn’t a problem and most of it is fun. We left the Tokyo Hotel at 11.15 to catch the bullet train to Hiroshima, a four and a half hour journey even on these trains that hit 180 mph. We have a show there tonight

But lets go back to where l left off in Tokyo a couple of days ago. After struggling through emails at snails pace most of the day William took us out to dinner in the evening. Miscommunication and transport problems and language difficulties left me, Jan, Steve and Dave stuck at a cab rank in Rippongi for 40 min – yes folks, the stuff that rock dreams are made of. None of our mobiles work here so we were well and truly isolated. I had left the list of mob nos for William, Ian etc by the phone in the room – yes really efficient management – so in the end l got a cab back to hotel and called William who sent out a rescue party for the band and someone from our label here EMI Toshiba to pick me up. Eventually we all got there – it was on the top of the Milo building, Rippongi Towers, just about the biggest building in Tokyo with about 5 massive towers and at least 5 main entrances. No wonder we got stuck. Words were had afterwards!!! The band had chosen Korean BBQ for the meal and it really is very good – you should try it out. Besides most of the band (H bailed as he hadn’t slept and Nicko “rested” following a fight with a number of red wind bottles sometime in the late afternoon!! Which it looked like he lost!) were Steve’s daughter Lauren and her band who are supporting us here and Bruce’s family Paddy, Griff, Kia and Austin – who’s band is causing a bit of a stir on myspace . (Maybe the Maiden kids will pick up the mantel one day!!)

After we went to the Hobgoblin Irish pub in Rippongi for a couple of beers but not that late – everyone a bit knackered – we had after all been through 11 time zones in less than a week since Detroit. And of course big show tomorrow.

Show day Budokhan oct 25 – up too early again but at least managed to get online and take care of my emails. One advantage here is that with uk 8 hours behind and usa 13-16 behind most of the day here you don’t get emails but rather they come in overnight so you can sort them in the morning. Having got rid of them had a few hours to kill before going down to show so went to spa and had a good steam, reflexology and massage – very pampered but sometimes on the road it can be really very positive and relax you and get some travel knots out.

Got down the gig fairly early. Checked with our team and everything very good. We take all our own production – the full show of course - but lights and PA are of course different as you don’t carry those round the World with you – way too expensive. So we try to reproduce the same lights and moving rig in Europe, in North America and Japan. In Hartford our first show the crew had 4 days to get it all together. Here they had one!! Lights reproduced very well here and all looked good for the gig. I went out and checked merch – again it is all produced here as you can’t ship in, as taxes are prohibitive. I always check the quality and all was fine. Wandered round back stage after that talking to various old friends and acquaintances like Masa Itoh and Geoff, Ross, William and Seiichi and Chieko from Toshiba. I do find those couple of hours before a show take an age to pass and l just wander round in my own world waiting to get on with it!! I do try to eat but usually don’t feel like it!

Lauren played a 25 min opener and did really well. Hopefully you will all get a chance sometime soon to see here band. They even sold a number of T-shirts, which is great!!

The Budokhan is an octagon built for sumo and martial arts and all shows here are fully seated – although of course no one sits. Capacity was about 8000 and we were a hundred or so short of sell out. We are not as strong here as we are in say Europe but still does well with album top 5. Also I am told that business generally is not that great especially outside Tokyo. Anyway by the time Doctor Doctor finished the place was full and the audience definitely ready for it. Show went great – all production aspects worked fine (well-done crew with all that new gear) sound was excellent, band getting better and better with only a couple of cock ups tonight (!!!) – Bruce had some vocal problems and felt he wasn’t at his best but he hit it real well most of the time from what I could hear as he always does. It’s just a bit frustrating for him when he can’t hear himself fully and he was pissed off because the crew for some reason didn’t bring his onstage vocal wedges which are important to him. He is used to the sound of them and of course if you hire they will always be a bit different. Have to check with Dick why this was when l get to gig later. Can’t complain too much- Dickie and the guys do a great job.

All in all though the gig was a great success and everyone seemed to love – certainly reaction was over the top at the end and plenty of smiling faces. I went out for a while after with friends but still feeling lagged so not up for a heavy one – maybe tonight!!

Hiroshima show is tonight. We get train back tomorrow and I fly out back to uk so this may be last diary entry til start of Europe. Online is driving me mad and l have a lot to do before Aalborg so I am going to get back and get on with it with decent connections next week. There is also some other stuff in the air but I will tell you about that later!!!

"I don’t think we have been in Aalborg before – its on the northern tip of Denmark- but it was a really good hall capacity 8500 and sold out some time ago. The fans were terrific and everything went well our end."

AALBORG NOV 10 2pm

It seems a while since my last diary which was on Bullet train to Hiroshima l think.

Hiroshima was a terrific little gig. When we booked the tour there we wanted to play Tokyo 2 shows plus Osaka and Nagoya but availabilities of halls left us 3 day in a row off so we wanted to add a show and the band fancied going to see Hiroshima again – we haven’t been there for many years. We thought cap was 2500 but it was actually 1800 and we didn’t even sell it out!! As all Japan venues have fantastic big stages for Kibuki theatre we could put in the whole show and the fans were right on the front of the stage. It was like playing a club gig with an arena show. Band really enjoyed it as it was so different and the smallest gig we have done in years. Very relaxed and a splendid audience. Most to them did some touristing too – and playing Brighter than a 1000 Suns had particular relevance there of course.

We got the bullet train back to Tokyo the following day and in the evening l went out with some friends from JVC who l have done a lot of business with over the years and we ended up back at the Hobgoblin meeting up with Davey.

Next day l flew home and in the evening took my son Ben and rest of family out for dinner, he is 15 on Nov 13 but l will be away on tour so we went out early. It s the first of Ben’s birthdays l have had to miss but he didn’t mind too much now he is older.

The next day it was up to Twickenham for the All Blacks game – no time to get over jet lag!!! I got 4 debentures for me and my boys years ago and try to get to every game touring permitting. Rugby is my great passion after family and Maiden. We were in the pub there by 11 am and hit it pretty hard over lunch at our regular T pub before the game kicked off at 3.30. England were beaten 41-20 – a record loss at Twickenham – but it was somewhat balanced by my winning £100 on our points spread sweep – l chose 20 points NZ. England actually did better than score suggests. Sadly l will miss games over next 3 weekends due to the tour but will find an Irish pub on each Saturday to watch the game live on skysports. And have a couple of beers.

After game went to the Stoop (Harlequins ground) to meet a load of Kiwi mates who manage many of the NZ team inc Daniel Carter and Richie McCaw – a few more beers ensued . They all went off to meet up with the team and asked me along. I have met some of them before but l was just too knackered by now although l am a complete rugby groupie!!! – l had only got back from Japan the day before after all. Plus the beers!! Off home l went and straight to bed at about 11. Slept like a babe!!

Felt like the proverbial S the next day but had to drag myself up to London at 8 the following morning to go to our new Phantom office. You will have seen l have now left Sanctuary after forming it 27 years ago. A bit sad in some ways but great in others – its cool being in Soho and l get to just do what l want – manage Maiden. The time was right.

I felt like death but that evening l had to go to the Classic Rock awards, severely hung over. Great bash and really well organised – well done Scott and Chris at Classic Rock. Loads of faces there – Jeff Beck, Roger and Brian from Queen, Ronnie Dio with Wendy, Dave Coverdale, Glenn Hughes, Alice Cooper, my mates Thunder, Roadstar etc – must have missed loads out. An of course Bruce and Adrian who were there to pick up the award for Best Album – rest of guys were all away that day as we had a few days off between Japan and Europe. I also got an award as Rock VIP – very honoured, thanks Classic Rock. Bruce and H presented it to me and we had some pics taken after. As the wine flowed my hangover gradually disappeared so ended out at post awards bash at the Embassy Club finally getting home and literally falling in to bed at about 3 am.

Last Tues and Wed were thankfully quieter then Thurs in the car up to stansted to fly up to Aalborg with the guys. Due to accidents on M25 Bruce, and Janere about 90 mins late which made us a bit late but not a real problem thankfully – we do allow time for mishaps. Really cool new plane for Europe with good room to move. Very exciting as l think this tour is going to be the best we have ever done. All tickets in Continental Europe are completely sold out and most have been for ages – only exception is Barcelona where the original cap of 10,000 has been increased to 18,000 with 16,000 already gone. We are of course playing the whole album still and the album has been hugely successful in Europe and no 1 in many places and the fans have had longer to get into it so hopefully will enjoy hearing the whole album as much as l do.

The first 3 shows were originally smaller warm up shows – Aalborg, Copenhagen and Tempere – as we didn’t originally plan to go to North America and Japan before Europe. I don’t think we have been in Aalborg before – its on the northern tip of Denmark- but it was a really good hall capacity 8500 and sold out some time ago. The fans were terrific and everything went well our end. Band played well despite a week off and on stage sound and production all good. Originally we chose not to have support for the first 2 shows – Trivium join us in Tempere – but Dick then asked for one as they were no longer the first shows so late on we put on Steve’s daughter Lauren with her band and they went down really very well with tremendous support from the fans. As all the beer stands and merch were actually in the hall it was already full when she went on and hands were up in the air at least half way back.

Had a drink with promoter after show then back to room at hotel – didn’t go out – still recovering from jet lag and the rugby. Must be getting too bloody old. Soon we fly down to Copenhagen and after the show we will fly home for a day off before Tempere. So more later

"By the way Lauren is very attractive so you guys at the front watch what you yell out – l will be watching!!"

STOCKHOLM THURS NOV 16 4PM

Been a busy time since last diary – sorry its taken a while but will try to catch up now and if l don’t get up to date will finish tomorrow. Am in a hotel room in Stockholm and it’s a day off though we are out with promoter and record co for dinner and a few drinks tonight.

Anyway to pick up where l left off - Aalborg. We left hotel and made the short flight down to Copenahagen arriving at the Valby Arena at about 6. Valby is the smallest gig on the Euro tour capacity 4700. Denmark has never been as good for us as the rest of Scandanavia and we have played here before and its an OK hall. The larger 10,000 capacity venue there wasn’t available when we booked the tour but we prefer to stick to up to say eight thousand for warm ups which these were inititally, as you know. And in many ways still are of course as all the PA and lighting equipment and some of the related crew are different as are of course trucks, buses, catering etc etc. So although this was not strictly the start of the tour anymore some smaller gigs do help to get the show refined for the major arenas and test out all the new gear. We originally considered doing 2 shows in Valby – this one sold out in an hour last Feb - but thought it would be good to go somewhere new, hence Aalborg. Its always good to play to new people who probably haven’t seen us before – although it can backfire!! (see later)

Arrived there and checked in with Dickie in production office as usual – all ok – and had a wander round the stage to get the feel of the hall. I always like to have a quick look around from onstage when l get to a show – you can sometimes (if some audience is in) get a real handle on how good the audience will be that night and l like to get into the vibe of the show as l enjoy it more. Had some dinner then – we carry the same caterers 'Eat to the Beat' around this whole euro tour so we have consistent food for everyone and can cater to personal tastes. In the winter – and it is up here just about! - its important to eat well and keep your energy levels up, particularly for band and crew of course. I often get involved with stuff backstage talking to people or whatever or just don’t feel like eating cos of the “stress”/anticipation so don’t get round to having a proper meal and l really feel it later in the evening and the next day. I have been making a real effort to eat properly this last few days as l was feeling really knackered a few days ago due to skipping proper meals. The band are actually pretty disciplined despite the pizza after the show!! Just as well with the performances they put in. you cant live on beer and cigarettes and l smoke way too much on the mixing desk during the show. This will be the New Years resolution – have to stop, its really stupid – hope few of you guys do – so will try again in a few weeks after the tour finishes. Wish me luck.

(My god just read the last paragraph to see if it makes sense – last bit’s not very rock and roll is it – more like a bloody New Labour minister in Parliament – don’t to this , don’t so that, eat five portions ad nauseum. Still you can get more into stuff if you are healthy l guess!)

Less of this or l will never get to today and Barry our main mercher and old mate just called to say he has arrived from airport and will be in bar in 30min so for next bit speed counts so don’t worry about the spelling mistakes.

Gig went fine – it’s a decent sounding hall – band had a few problems hearing themselves on stage but you always get this first show or two as all equipment is a little different even if it’s the same, if you get my drift. It can affect the tightness of the playing a bit of course but there is little you can do about it. You always want to put on the very best performance but sometimes the technical aspects can get in the way – remember the lack of our tank in Philly which fortunately, touch wood, hasn’t occurred again. Mainly of course as because it did our crew have better back up systems. I would hate to miss the tank again as its just great and l see it every night so it’s a right drag for fans who only attend that one show if it doesn’t show!! I am always nervous just before it is due to appear!!!

Lauren was supporting again and again did really well, so well that steve is now asking me to put her on a lot of the tour playing before Trivium who joined us at the nest gig in Tempere. The Trivium guys like the idea of someone before them so they don’t go on cold so l will check the timings and hope we can add her to a lot of the tour. As most of it is already sold out l think it gives the fans a bit more and gives all you guys who get straight to the barrier something good to watch in that first period. We will see. By the way Lauren is very attractive so you guys at the front watch what you yell out if we do – l will be watching!!

Band got quick showers after gig and off straight to airport to fly to home. We do this fairly often – fly in and out to a show – its not because we don’t like where we are (we do in fact like Copenhagen a lot) but it means you don’t have to travel on a day off and can have a full day free or that you get back to your own bed for a couple of nights and see the family. Got home in Brighton at about 1am uk time – not bad!!

The day off was a Saturday and the day England played Argentina. I didn’t realise when making plans that we were flying back from Copenhagen so gave my 4 twickenham tickets to my eldest boys Tom and Ben – big rugby fans and decent players - for them to take a friend each to the game . It’s the first time they have been allowed to go by themselves but they have just gone 16 and 15 and rugby fans are extremely friendly so it was great for them. I hit the couch and watched 3 games, England and Wales v South Sea Islanders and Ireland v South Africa. Ireland were superb but sadly England were terrible and lost for the first time ever at home to Argentina – who played very well – and it was a record equalling 7th successive loss. I was at the world cup final in Sydney in 03 but its been all downhill since – very sad. Amazingly sky didn’t show All Blacks v France but l think my long suffering wife Kathy thought this was a good idea as 3 games was enough. Stayed in in the evening which l was quite glad about - though l did offer to take Kathy out – and watched a movie with the family and heard the stories of woe about England's performance when the boys got back

Anyway Barry had just called – he is in the bar so have to go but it is an appropriate time. The next day we were off to Tempere for the last of the warm up before the big gigs started. So hopefully will catch up on all this and more tomorrow for you.

"One last thing, talking proudly about my home county in northern England – a mate sent me a link to a very funny sketch on Yorkshire Airways so if you want a laugh here is the link – obviously there is absolutely no truth in it!!
http://www.ftg.co.uk/simon/yorkshire"

STOCKHOLM NOV 19 1pm

Late setting off for Tempere last Sunday. There was a pile up on the M25 clockwise so Bruce, H and Jan all got caught up in it and were about an hour late. No big problem though as we obviously allow leeway in the schedule for unforeseen problems – lm sure the Fins in Tempere wouldn’t be too impressed if we missed the gig due to a traffic jam on the M25. other than being bored sat in traffic everyone in great spirits and ready for the last of the warm ups and into the real meat of the tour with the big arenas everywhere. Have to say l was getting pretty excited – this tour has always felt to me like it was going to be very very special. We flew in to Tempere for the show and then after quick showers headed off to the airport for Helsinki and two shows and three nights there then five nights in Stockholm.

It was a 6700 capacity ice hall and sold out in about an hour last Feb. we have never played here before so l think everyone was pleased to see us. The gig went ok – it wasn’t a great sounding hall but the smaller halls often aren’t as the ceilings in this type of hall are often low with metal beams so can be tough to get it right. Band not too happy with onstage sound so decided to do soundchecks both days in Helsinki. The sound is usually much better in the big arenas as due to the size and height of them there is less to negative effect on the sound. Also with the audience all round the sides of the hall and often very high up this helps too. I think in Aalborg and Tempere the fans were a bit miffed we aren’t doing Run to the Hills, Beast, Trooper etc as many wont have seen us as we haven’t visited there before. Of course in most of the other cities we have played four times in the last 5 years with 2 tours being sort of hits based for the summer so less to complain about as they get a regular fix of the old stuff but l do feel a bit for the fans in Aalborg and Tampere as of course they would like to hear those songs but you just cant please everyone sadly. This came through is some press reports – see later

This was also Trivium’s first gig. They are a very good band and excellent people so its good to have them out with us. They have a fine stage set up so it was disappointing that on the first show here they couldn’t use it as there was not room to get it on and off stage quickly enough but they will be fine in the bigger halls. You should all get in early enough to check them out. I met them a while ago when they came round to the Sanctuary office in NY xmas 04 and we had a number of beers and played the album about five times. We invited them on the tour sept 05 and confirmed it early 06 – we do try to get really good young bands to tour with us so as its added value for the fans at the gig and Trivium are doing really well with a recent top 10 album debut in the UK and good initial chart entries round Europe so it all makes for an even better night for everyone

Arrived in Helsinki about midnight , spent a bit of time in the bar . Met up with our agent John Jackson from K2 and Andy Taylor and Pete de Vroom, Maiden’s business team who were all over for a couple of days to go through a few things and also bumped into Kerry from Slayer – they were playing Helsinki the day before us and Tampere the day after with the Unholy Alliance package which is doing really well. Its always good to see the Slayer guys – of course we have done quite a few shows with them over the years.

The next day was off and l spent a lot of time going thru various things with Andy/Pete and also John, along with the usual stack of email but now l am on the Phantom server life is much better as online connctions are very quick as it doesn’t have to have the degree of firewalls the Sanctuary server had , which being a public company l suppose it needed, although hugely annoying at times as you guys who read the USA diary will know!! In the eveing the label took us all out for dinner and a good evening was had by all – thanks our friends at EMI Finland.

So to the Helsinki shows – full on from here on. Hartwall Arena holds about 11,600 and both nights sold out ages ago with extra production seats being released the last few days. It is always worth checking on tickets for sold out shows – and this applies to any band – near to the show date as once production is finalised and in there are often more tickets available. We also of course have a band allocation for family and friends and some of these are often released a few days before the show.

Both shows went really well. The soundchecks and the layout of the hall made for good onstage and outfront sound and Dougie did a great job – he is really nailing the new album now. The fans were of course terrific and the reviews also. One thing that always amuses me up here is the competitiveness of the Nordics – if you mention Norway in Sweden or Denmark in Finland they boo – but even when you mention Tempere in Helsinki or Aalborg in Denmark ie the same country – they boo too!!! I guess it’s a bit like London being booed in Newcastle but it always makes me smile

Before the first show EMI presented us with platinum discs for the new album – it went platinum in the first month the fastest we have ever done here. Finland is a fantastic metal market and we have always done really well here as have many metal bands. They also have a lot of great metal bands of their own. Visions of the Beast has been top 10 DVD here since it came out ages ago and often pops back up to no 1!

Kimmi Raikkonnen (l do hope l spelt this correctly) the brilliant Ferrari F1 driver came to the first show – like many Finns he is a Maiden/Metal fan. Bruce got talking to him and they arranged to go Go-karting the day of the second show. John Jackson was really pissed off as he is a major F1 fan but had to fly back to London that morning. Bruce came third behind Kimmi and his manager who is also a pretty mean racer but – and would you believe this – Bruce got the fastest lap time 0.4 secs ahead of Kimmi. Bloody typical – l guess Bruce is a lot more reckless, its in his nature as you have probably all guessed by now – but l must stress, not when he is flying so if you are ever on BruceAir you have nothing to worry about.!!!! Bruce said he was a terrific guy - l didn’t realise he was in the band lounge so didn’t get to meet him which is a drag. Though l love sport l am not a massive F1 fan but this guy is really starting to become a legend and is a great driver - Ferrari No 1 - that’s something.

So all in all l was very pleased with Helsinki. Everything is now working great, sound problems all sorted, show looks and sounds superb and the band are really starting to be on fire – and with an album as difficult as this it does take a bit of time!!! And l've been eating properly, getting out for a walk and getting some kip so feel a lot better - still fired up with tour adrenalin though!!

After the second show we flew straight off to Stockholm. Sweden is probably our most successful country anywhere – Maiden really are huge here and even a mainstream household name !! We even get followed by paparazzi which is pretty weird!! The first 2 shows at the 13,500 cap Globen (known locally as the golfball due to its spherical nature) sold out in a couple of hours.. a few days late we added a third show which also sold out in a couple of hours – and we couldnt fit any more dates in!!! also as you probably know Ullevi Stadium in Gothenburg sold out 55,000 last year in two and a half hours. So pressure – just a bit!!!! Expectation is so immense here. More later, and there is an awful lot to talk about!! I am on my way to the Irish Pub – The Dubliner, so no cliché there then – to watch Ireland v Australia rugby on their big screen and hopefully to get some fish and chips. Will try to do some more later depending on intake of John Smiths Yorkshire bitter...

One last thing, talking proudly about my home county in northern England – a mate sent me a link to a very funny sketch on Yorkshire Airways so if you want a laugh here is the link – obviously there is absolutely no truth in it!!
http://www.ftg.co.uk/simon/yorkshire

"After this song, the audience takes over completely. Bruce tries to speak, but get drowned in a deafening thunder. Then he just stands there, silent and speechless, for well over a minute, while Maiden receives a declaration of love that is totally impossible to put words to'."

STOCKHOLM NOV 19 8pm and NOV 20 2pm

Back from rugby – not a great game but very poor conditions. Ireland beat a very ordinary looking Aussie team who really looked like they were ready to get on the plane home – away from the lashing rain and strong Irish winds prevalent during the game.

So to Sweden and what a great but hectic time it was. When we arrived from Helsinki headed for bar but only time for a quick beer before it closed so off to bed. Nice skybar though.

Day off on 16th – Val from my office was in for these shows so caught up on a lot of work and then emails. In the evening went out for dinner with EMI (thanks Asa, Charlie, Matthias and Anders) and EMA our promoters, Thomas and Tor. Thomas Johannesson and EMA have been our promoters here since the first Kiss shows in 1980 and Thomas is a real genteman and as good if not better a promoter as any in the world. Scandanavia is lucky to have him – we almost always follow his advice. The dinner was good and there was even paparazzi lurking outside. Tor alerted me to one worrying thing though. The 2 main daily papers here Aftonbladet and Expressen had bought their own tickets to our first show in Aalborg and given us pretty poor reviews in their papers a couple of days earlier. We don’t usually have reviewers at warm up shows – especially not national papers – as they are just that, warm up shows to get everything tuned up. They said the sound was poor, Bruce sounded like he was choking (!!!) and that the fans didn’t like the set as we weren’t playing the old hits and it didn’t work playing the whole album. Now all this is hardly surprising as we hadn’t been there before so as l said here previously we can understand why people who have never seen us may be disappointed about song selection. Also fair comment on the sound as it wasn’t a great sounding hall and the band had sound problems on stage – but also it was all new gear for PA and lights, a ground support rig so no moving lights and other production values, part new crew, we hadn’t played for a week or so and were recently back from going through about 19 time zones in a couple of weeks!! Which is of course why we do warm up shows and cant expect them to be of the quality of the later arena shows. All the same its worrying when l hear something like this and such is my nature l start pondering on it and second guessing. It’s the price of success for papers of this importance to “sneak in” early to check you out before a major tour and then report very unfavourably.

Shouldn’t have worried though. The gig that night at the Globen was fantastic and crowd reaction incredible. As in Helsinki when Bruce had his chat with the audience after Longest Day the place went nuts for a full two minutes or so chanting Maiden Maiden and the roar was intense. The atmosphere was just brilliant – this is what love about Maiden concerts, that goose bump feeling of total connection between band and audience that fires the band on to get better and better. It really was an excellent concert. And to top it off EMI presented us with gold discs for sales of the new album in Sweden – again in record time

After the show all went different places – Jan bar hunting, some of us to hotel bar. Had a couple with NIcko and headed off for bed leaving him to it – definitely a mistake l would find the next day!!

The next morning l got the Aftonbladet and Expressen and even l – with no working knowledge of Swedish – could see that the reviews were terrific. On the front page of the Afton at the top it said (l would later find) IRON MAIDEN MAKE THE GLOBE ROLL!!

I had it translated - Everything was good – the set worked, new album excellent, great fans, incredible reaction, great sounding hall (unlike Denmark they said where fans were laid back and hall poor sound!! I told you Nordics were competitive!!) Here is a bit that Tor translated for me from his email –

Sent: Sat Nov 18 11:28:26 2006
Subject: SV: SV: So how were the reviews???

Expressen:
'The crowd is so incredible, that the Maiden-guys are almost moved to tears'.

........"The longest day" is performed in a too high tempo and therfore it feels like a raging bull rushing against you. That kind of magic only occur when musicians want's to espress so much, that they almost burst open. After this song, the audience takes over completely. Bruce tries to speak, but get drowned in a deafening thunder. Then he just stands there, silent and speechless, for well over a minute, while Maiden receives a declaration of love that is totally impossible to put words to'.

Final lines:
'If it were somewhere that Maiden would triumph, with such a demanding repertoire, it would be the favourite land of Sweden. And that the maiden of iron do, and exeeds all expectations'

Headline in 'Aftonbladet': Got the Globe in rotation. Iron Maiden has started their victory train.

And here's a nice line: The proudness of the latest album becomes like a sober cloak swept over the evening and then when "Fear of the Dark" get released just before 10PM, it's just like the big golfball started to move a bit.

Final line: 'The challenge do work - and with that, a 4-shows long victoory train has begun'.

Phew!!! Thank you!!! Had me worried for a minute. But they were right, it was an emotional and fantastic gig .

2nd show day was always going to be very hectic –

- Steve had a football match at 1.30 and had his team fly in from England for the big game – sadly they lost 4-1 but Steve scored!!

- Bruce had flown to Oslo early that morning to pick up Bruce Air 666 which had left Gatwick in the early hours to pick up 150 or so Norwegian fans to bring them to the second Globen show. He was flying them back to Gatwick straight after the show – totally mad!! He also brought in a few friends from London including Dave P and Hannah from our office.

- Adrian had all his family over for the weekend.

- Radio One Rock show, Ian Camfield for VH1 and MTV Germany were at the gig to do specials

- All steves football mates, a cast of many, all the media guys, office , friends, label etc would be backstage drinking our beers.

So what did l do in the midst of all this action - why took the day off of course – well Val, Dave and Hannah were there to do the worrying and organising with of course our Maiden team Ian and Gaddsy.

Got a cab to the waterfront at about 10 to be picked up by my good mate and Bravado Merch boss Barry in his boat. Barry has a lovely (are there any others) Swedish wife and has a house about 40min outside Stockholm by the water in a very beautiful part of the country so we went out for a visit. Argued about concession rates and then took the car back into town for lunch (fish and chips – bloody marvellous) at the Dubliner – to be followed by, of course, England v Argentina on the big screen there (great picture – highly recommended for sports viewing in Sweden). England were again very poor most of the game but managed to dredge up some real spirit in the last 20 min to snatch a win 23-21 to avoid the ignominy of losing 8 straight and being labelled as the worst England team ever. Feel good for Martin Corey who l don’t think has deserved the barbs in the press. Only had a couple of John Smiths then went to gig about 5.30, meeting and having a photo with the nice chap who runs the (unofficial) Swedish Fan Club on the way in.

Everything seemed fine – all the media stuff was getting done, everybody happy and all seemed thrilled to be there to see the show before most of the Brits.

Here is a guide how not to prepare for a major show:

Singer – fly early for an hour and then fly a 200 seater airliner back an hour / take pic with 150 fans on the stage / do major interviews with various important media.

Bass player – play a full football match (even if you score!) and do same interviews.

Guitarist – have whole family along and do interviews.

Guitarist – Dave – get ill and need a big shot to get you together.

And yes …the drummer…yes you Nicko…...get pissed the night before, feel like s**t and act as backstage guide and MC to VH1 with a hangover!!!

Well maybe they should do it more often – the gig and the audience were even better than the night before. Absolute blinder in every way. Love you Dougie, sound was perfect. Crowd brilliant.. I always thought this show and set list was as good as anything we have ever done and l shouldn’t have let a couple of poor reviews get to me. This all works just great!!!!!

After the gig Steve, Jan and the footballers went off to wreck the Dubliner, Bruce flew off with his 150 or so mates, Nicko (thank god!!) and Dave (get well) had an early night and Adrian, his family, Barry, Val, Dave , EMI and most of the media guys went to sky bar til it closed. Definitely something to celebrate – a couple of cracking shows with one more to come at the Globe next Saturday.

Finishing off now – spent the day catching up on work and doing this (and reading English Sunday papers l got from station next door – luxury!). Leave at 4 to fly in to Gothenburg for the show there then on to Oslo afterwards.

After the first 4 major shows l feel we are most certainly ready for anything. It is gonna be a memorable tour. I feel effin great!!! Roll on tonight

Yesterday in Dortmund Bruce announced a Summer-Tour in 2007

Bruce told the crowd:
"Our promoter wondered if you would like to see another Maiden show ?
But this is our last Maiden show in Germany .... before Christmas ... "

He added that Maiden will come back to Germany in Summer 2007 and will play a couple of Songs.

The show ended with a "Goodbye - See you next summer."

"I had a nice glass of wine with Matt from Trivium and told a few war stories that my dear friend Jim Marshall had told me. He will be joining us in Paris tomorrow."

Hotel room Eindhoven II
Time 0:55am
November 27, 2006

Well, well, well, just got back from the show here in Den Bosch Holland. What a night. Had a few problems tonight I can tell you.

Half way through ‘Different World I had a brain storm. I thought that I was at the beginning of the second verse but alas we were at the solo. I missed me drum feel into that and just ‘Kin made a complete balls up of it. The guys managed not to be put of by me missing it and so it fell back into the solo without any real problem. Well, it took me a while to settle down. All went great after that though. We had a blast again.

After the show, Jan, H and Davey did a runner. Steve, Bruce and meself stayed behind to unwind. We thought that we have had better nights playing wise but it still was a great evening.
I had a nice glass of wine with Matt from Trivium and told a few war stories that my dear friend Jim Marshall had told me. He will be joining us in Paris tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing him I am!!!!!!!!

Be in Paris around 2pm so should have plenty of time to find a nice restaurant to take Jim and his chums to before the show. I will most definitely have to go and have some snails tomorrow. Lovely Jubbly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I’m going to get in the shower and get ready for me bed. I’m going to have an early night. Bet I won’t be so lucky tonight and get to see a great piece of music on the box???????? Oh well.

Stay safe and well

Oh, nearly forgot, thank you to all on the board for your kind words. Re: the ‘Nicko’ thread. Great!!!!!

God bless you all.
=Nicko=

"The show in Bergen was fantastic. Although I wasn’t feeling so good we had a blast. It seemed to fly by in no time at all."

Hotel room Eindhoven Holland
Time 1:30pm
November 27, 2006

Well, well, well, I hope you lot are doing fine today.
I have been a little under the weather this last couple of days.
Got a bit of the old tour curse, you know the lurggie that does its round of crew and band. Harry’s not feeling to well either. Been on a course of antibiotics since Friday, seems to be working.
Hence, boys and girls, no diary entries since Oslo. To be honest I haven’t had the strength over the last few days to get it together.

So, Oslo. ‘Kin magic night that was. The crowd at the Oslo Valhall was amazing; the 12.500 Billies were very load and singing all the new stuff at the top of their wee lungs. Brilliant night it was I can tell you!!!!!! We played our socks off and we all had a great time on stage.
After the show we hit the showers and then made our way to the plane. We decided that a night home was in order.
I got to me drum at a little before 2am. Watched a spot of the glue tube and then went to me bed.

Wednesday I had a stroll down to the village shops to pick up my shoes and jacket that were being repaired. Picked up a few things for the flat as well. New zip needed in me jacket and me shoes needed some TLC. I had a spot of breakfast in the local coffee shop, a nice fry-up!!!!! Yummy.

Me chum Geoffrey from Denmark studios came over to sort out me jam jar as the old electrics were playing up. I met him in the pub car park and we drove back to mine. Bless him; he was out sorting things out in the ‘Kin rain. After a while he was done and I had me indicators and head lights working again. He came in and we had a chat about the studio and what he’s been up to over the last couple of months. He’s a great mate. We had a nice cup of rossie and then it was time for him to head out.

In the evening I went to dinner with, H and Natalie, his misses, and a friend of theirs, Jane. We went to a really nice rubber dub called The Swan out close to where we live. Good tucker in there I can tell you. I had a nice piece of sole for me main course with spuds and veggies accompanied by a couple of pints of real ale. Oh Yes!!!!!!!
After dinner I went back home and watched a spot of telly. I had an early night. I could feel that I was getting that tingling feeling in the back of me throat. Took a couple of aspirins and went to sleep.

Thursday was up at 9 and started to get ready for me trip. We are off to, Bergen, Norway, for a show there. Car picked me up at 11:30pm and we were in Bergen for 5pm.

The show in Bergen was fantastic. Although I wasn’t feeling so good we had a blast. It seemed to fly by in no time at all. I thought that it was not one of my best performances. Well, you get days like that know and then don’t you??????

After the show we headed back to Blighty. I wasn’t feeling so good and new that I had to get in touch with me doc. I had been coughing pretty hard and also had the nasty green shit coming out of me lungs. When I get sick it always gets me in the chest.

Friday, I got up at 10am and called me doc, he was over in Austria on a doctor’s convention, bet there was a ‘Kin great party that night!!! He called in a prescription for me to the local pharmacy. I’m on a 7 day course of, Amoxiclav. Feeling a lot better today, (Monday). I stayed in front of the telly all day and just got to rest. I was going to go out and have a nice meal somewhere but didn’t have the strength to do that. I decided to check out the local Chinese takeaway. It is just over the road from me drum.
Well, was I happy with that decision? It was the best takeaway that I have ever had. It was really well prepared and tasted as though it was prepared at a good restaurant kitchen. I ate all the food that I had bought home with me. After dinner I had an early night.

Saturday, I was up at 9:30am and started to get packed for my trip. We are away for six nights this trip. I was ready and waiting for me car to pick me up for 1:30pm. We are playing the third of our Stockholm shows. We made the flight in good time and were at the hotel for 6pm. I had to have a rest as I was still feeling rough.
Left the hotel at 7:30pm and met with Sola and some of the guys from J Lindeberg. I had a room set up for them with some drinks and stuff. We had a chat and then I got ready for the show. Did me warm up and boy was I feeling stiff and tired.

The gig went really well all considered. I again didn’t have me best gig but we still rocked the house. Not as good a reaction as the first two shows but I think that it was still a cracking show. Thank you to all our fans from Stockholm, Sweden and Scandinavia for making us so welcome and giving us the best tour so far. We all had the best time. Thank you all again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, we had the day off here in Eindoven. Yesterday we traveled in from Stockholm and arrived at 2pm. After checking into me room I went for a walk with Minnie and Ena but was still feeling a little tired. Headed back to the hotel and had an early meal in the hotel restaurant. After dinner I went straight to bed. I watched the telly for what seemed a lifetime and turned in at around 3 this morning. Highlight of me night was the ‘Who’ concert on BBC. ‘Kin fantastic. Not only was it a wonderful show it was from the ‘Kin ‘Roundhouse’ in Camdem. I played there meself in the seventies with a band called ‘Streetwalkers.
The place was closed down for ever but it has been used recently for videos and the odd bit of filming, we did the Rainmaker video in there. I’m so happy that they are having live shows there again. It is a fantastic venue.

Pete Townsend is just phenomenal, as was the rest of the band. The song ‘Mirror Door’ was awesome. The show really cheered me up. What a ‘Kin gig, I would have loved to have been there for that one

Well, got to go and have something to eat boys and girls. Not good to take medicine on an empty stomach is it????? AAAHHHEEE!!!

Stay safe and well
God bless you all.
=Nicko=

"We then decided to go to the Hard Rock café here in Oslo for a spot of lunch. Well, can you believe it, when we got the ‘Kin bill they had charged us for the ‘Kin vinegar AND the mayonnaise. I had a word with the manager but to now avail, she would not relent and so kept the charge on the bill. Can you believe that!!"

Hotel room Oslo Norway
Time: 3:15pm
November 21, 2006

Well, well, well, had a nice day so far and an even better evening last night.

We played at the Scandinavian Arena in Gothenburg Sweden.
It was a smashing gig. We played really well again and had a remarkably good time on stage. Lots of fun tonight I can tell you!!
At the intro to TRoBB I come out in front of the drums as I usually do to sit on the steps to watch Mr. Murray play that intro. I just love hearing his guitar on that section. Well, Bruce came up behind me and squashed me between his legs locking me in place with vice like energy. It was getting close to the end of the intro and he would not let me up. Well, he started joking with the audience saying, “Shall we let the drummer up or leave him here”?
I was getting in a bit of a pickle I can tell you, so with all the strength I could muster I stood up trying to carry Bruce on my shoulders. It nearly worked but he managed to jump off just as I was rising up.
I love it when things out of the ordinary happen like this, it really makes the evening a little more special. Of coarse sometimes things like that can go horribly wrong, but not tonight.
We all had a blast and backstage we all were in agreement that it was a stunning gig. Loads of energy and good playing!!!!!

After the show we had our showers and got ready for the drive to the airport. We had decided to come straight up to Oslo after show.
It was only a 40 minute flight and then the drive from the airport to downtown. The drive is about 45 minutes and we were at the hotel at around 1:30am.
Well, when we arrived there were two fans waiting for us at the hotel doorway. I asked them how they knew when we would be here in Oslo. One guy said that it was a secret as to how they knew so he didn’t want to tell me his source. ‘Kin cheek, all I wanted to know was how or who told him only as a matter of interest.
Oh well, ‘Kin bollox that’s all I can say about that!!!!!!!! TEEHEE

This afternoon I went for a nice stroll with Ena and Minnie, we had a pit stop at a nice coffee house and had a rest from our travels. We sat outside with our drinks and I had a nice warm blanket to put over me knees. ‘Kin great that. Most of the restaurants have places to sit outside and they all have either heaters or blankets for you to take advantage of, very civilized. We then decided to go to the Hard Rock café here in Oslo for a spot of lunch. Well, can you believe it, when we got the ‘Kin bill they had charged us for the ‘Kin vinegar AND the mayonnaise. I was astounded, what a ‘Kin liberty that was, especially as there were a host of our wonderful fans coming into their restaurant for smudges and autographs and whatnot.
Anyway, I had a word with the manager but to now avail, she would not relent and so kept the charge on the bill. Can you believe that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are playing at the Oslo Valhall this evening. Looking forward to that.

Oh yes I forgot to tell you that I had a very pleasant day off in Stockholm on Sunday. I slept till late and then arranged to meet with Sola for an early meal. I did have a wonderful hour with a remarkable therapist who worked on my back. I had to go to her office and she gave me acupuncture to relieve me stress and some electric shock treatment and a deep tissue massage. I felt like a million dollars after I can tell you!!!!

After the treatment, Sola and I went to a wonderful seafood restaurant. It was great. We had a nice bottle of Chablis, yes boys and girls I did say Chablis. I know what you’re thinking. He usually drinks the red right well, I fancied a change didn’t I??? So I did see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Had an early night and was ready for the next day’s adventure.

Star safe and well
God bless you all.
=Nicko=

Norwegian fansite MaidenNorway has posted a following update from Rod Smallwood, who is checking in from Barcelona Spain on Wednesday, November 29th:

"Firstly apologies for being a bit late on this – its been quite hectic!!! From where l left off we flew into Gothenburg for the show at the Scandinavian – cap 10,500 and again sold out immediately last February we have played here a lot over the years – l was told it was the 10th time and we have played there more than any other act, including Swedish artists! - and the crowd is always terrific. And again this time was no exception. After the show we headed for the airport to fly into Oslo for the show the next day..."

Got up early in Oslo to catch up with emails then went off with Pelle from EMI and Janick (Gers) to go to the Viking Museum. Really interesting – they had the remains of Viking longships from over a thousand years ago. When a chieftain or important person died they were buried with the boat and as they believed in the afterlife _ Valhalla _ like the Egyptians, they would bury with them food, booze and everyday items that may be useful……and of course a few weapons! There are apparently reckoned to be many more as yet undiscovered longships with bodies buried around Norway. Being a fan of the old classic Kirk Douglas film “The Vikings” l always thought the chieftains were put on a pyre on the longboat which was set on fire and sent out to sea!! The lines of the boats were really quite beautiful but l wouldn’t fancy crossing the North Atlantic in one – it must have taken remarkable courage to cross to Greenland and Nova Scotia as they did …..some 500 years or so before Columbus. In Norway they are rightly very proud of this heritage.

And believe it or not the hall we played was called Valhalla. Its actually a massive well constructed “shed” with a flat floor big enough to hold a football pitch. Sold out 12,500 fans on the floor, sort of like an indoor festival. We were presented with gold discs by EMI prior to the show – thanks guys. Another really good gig.

After the show we flew straight off back home and l got home to Brighton at about 2.30am.

I missed the shows in Bergen and the third Globen in Stockholm but the band told me both went really well. I had meetings in London, a wedding on the Saturday and coincidentally (of course) the days home coincided with the first test match at the Gabba in Perth. This has now been renamed the Gabbattoir as we sadly got well and truly hammered. Stayed up til the early hours each night hoping for a change in fortune but to no avail. A couple of weeks ago just before the team set off l had the pleasure of spending some time ….and indeed a few beers…. with our captain Freddie Flintoff and he is as great a guy and drinking partner as he appears to be in the media. Wished him luck of course – he needs to win the toss in Adelaide on Friday. It would be really sad if after such a great summers cricket last year for the Ashes if we didn’t get a close contest down under. Heres hoping. I will be on tour during this period so need to find somewhere in Milan that has test cricket on all night!!! Any ideas??? I wont even talk about the rugby on last Saturday when another miserable performance saw us lose to south Africa. What is happening with English sport??!!

On Monday the 27th it was back on the plane to Den Bosch – 14,000 sold out months ago and the biggest indoor show we have done in Holland. Another really good show and a few beers with Bruce (Dickinson) in the hotel bar then my minibar after.

The following day it was off to Paris – that’s yesterday now! Bercy was the first show we played in Europe when Bruce rejoined and has always been a bit special to us as a venue. It really is a fine hall and again it was sold out 16,500. it must be about the seventh time we have played there and the Paris audience is always VERY LOUD!!! No exception here – great show. Our agent John and our publisher from BMG Paul were over so spent some time with them. Also met up with Francois from Neighbourhood Of The Beast and he brought along Herve. Herve is a fan and also a really good artist who asked to do our event shirts for some of the dates so if you have the great event shirts from Scandi or Paris you are wearing his very fine art. Thanks Herve, great job. Francois l am sure you will be reading this and l will no doubt see you at another gig soon!! Thanks for all your support with the Neighbourhood guys – you all do a terrific job and its always a pleasure to see you. The quality and commitment of our fans never ceases to amaze me.

After the show we went to a Pub near the hotel for a few well earned beers. Many French and UK fans in there but as always very cool. The band never mind doing autographs and having pics taken as long as they are not over pressured or hassled unduly – but with our fans this is a rare event so l take the opportunity to thank you guys for being reasonable and patient and not overbearing. A great night was ended with Dickie, Jan and myself raiding my minibar

Today l had a reasonable lie in til about 10 – and l needed it – then we left the hotel at 11am to get the plane to Barcelona. Tomorrow will be mad – having a night in tonight to heal the wounds and get ready for tomorrow – maybe catch a pay movie. Will catch up with you guys again soon."

Napokon je i na mene dosao red. Sutra idem u Glasgow.

Vidimo se u ponedjeljak.
ciao.gif

Gavin Allen of South Wales Echo has reviewed Maiden's show in Cardiff last night. Due to the excessive amount of spoilers you'll have to keep reading for the review.

Iron Maiden came close to vindicating their selfish decision last night but dropped the ball at the last.

In playing their 14th album A Matter Of Life and Death in its entirety - and each track one after the other at that - they were bound to disappoint swathes of the sold-out crowd, with even the hard-core fans tolerating rather than worshipping.

The thirst for them pre-gig saw thousands of devil horns silhouetted against the CIA's soulless white walls as the crowd chanted "Maiden! Maiden! Maiden!"

Vocalist Bruce Dickinson bouncy-balled magnificently onto the stage but when five tracks in he confirmed they would play the whole album there was a negative reaction; largely silence, even the odd boo.

It's a shame because the war-obsessed album - the stage set was designed like a World War Two bunker with broken masonry and sandbags - is among their strongest material.

Classically mock-operatic, the likes of These Colours Don't Run, The Longest Day and The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg would grace any of their previous albums.

But when that lot was over, after forcing people to tolerate 70-odd minutes of such indulgence, the pay-off simply wasn't enough.

The crowd exploded into mosh circles to the opening bars of Fear Of The Dark but the follow up of Iron Maiden, Two Minutes To Midnight, The Evil That Men Do and Hallowed Be Thy Name, while glorious in themselves, was too eclectic.

Maiden won't regret the decisions they made last night, but their fans will.

Back