pocelo je pocelo ... turneja 2006.

Rod Smallwood has issued another tour diary, this time from the show in Zurich:

"It seemed as if every person in the hall knew every word and were belting it out for all they were worth. I have never seen/heard this before – not even in Quebec, Rio, Paris or Spain. And what made it all the more special was the following..."

ZURICH WED DEC 6 2pm

So we had got to the second Milan show in my last instalment. This too had been sold out for months. However unlike Stockholm where both the first 2 shows went on sale simultaneously this (like Earls Court) was an added show. This is where we think we can do 2 shows so hold the second and put the first one on sale and if it goes according to plan (ie sells out quickly) – we will announce the second one. The first one sold out in a few weeks – and Italy is usually a market where ticket sales are late and leading up to the show – so we announced the second one some time ago which also sold out within a few weeks. Quite often the second night audience is not as good as the first as of course the core fans tend to rush out and get the first tickets. However it was not the case here!! Although at first they seemed slightly quieter than the first night – perhaps as they weren’t as familiar with the new album as the hard core fans of the first night – they made up for it in other areas.

During Bruce’s mid album talk the oway oway Mai-den etc hit 113db – one more than the previous night, but even more special was the start of Fear of the Dark. When Bruce commenced his spoken intro they were SO loud saying the words that Bruce left them to it right through to the four “fear of the darks” at the end of the intro. It seemed as if every person in the hall knew every word and were belting it out for all they were worth. I have never seen/heard this before – not even in Quebec, Rio, Paris or Spain. And what made it all the more special was the following. You all know how on the last 2 FoDs in this intro section Bruce sort of gives a throaty haha or something to that effect, well……so did ever one of the audience. It was just perfect mimicking – great stuff!!! Two absolutely wondrous shows – thank you so much Milan and the rest of Italy – we know there were lots of you from Rome too so we will have to get down there and see you all sometime!!

After the show we did a “runner” – straight off stage into the cars to change at the airport and fly home. The traffic getting out of the gig is terrible and if we had stayed around to shower as we usually would in the winter we would have been caught right up in it. We got back to UK in the early hours and l was half an hour from home at about 1.30am on the M23 just before the Gatwick turn off when we came up to 3 solid lanes of stationery traffic. After a few minutes got out of the car as had many others who were chatting and having a smoke in groups dotted around. We find out that someone was on the next flyover bridge threatening to jump and we could just make out the flashing lights of police and ambulances. The former to talk him down the latter to deal with the mess if the former failed!! As time dragged on the waiting motorists were getting less sympathetic as they wanted to get home. “Push him off” could be heard regularly for the last hour. Anyway we were there for 2 hours before the traffic got moving again and l finally got home at 4am!! Watched a bit of cricket test match – we were still doing ok at this point. As you will all know we collapsed on the last day to 129 all out and lost the test going 2-0 down in the process. What a disaster. We were in a possible position to win for the first 4 days – and certainly a draw which would have halted Australia’s momentum at least after the Massacre of the Gabbattoir (which is in Brisbane by the way not Perth as l stupidly said before). Lack of a good tight exciting Ashes series will certainly take a bit of the thrill out of Xmas. Will now have to look forward to England rugby beating the Scots on feb 3 – l will definitely be there for that. Cant see England coming back from 2-0 down in the land downunder.

Got up late the next day and worked in my home office. Quiet night watching a movie with the kids. Up the next day to fly out to Zurich.

We were presented with gold discs before the show = this was excellent as it’s a rare occasion for us here and over 10 years since our last Swiss Gold they told us. So thanks EMI Switzerland and our Swiss fans. The show at the majestic Hallenstadion was sold out at 12,800 but unlike a lot of the tour only did so in the week preceding the gig. This was very satisfying for me as with this and Stuttgart – with increased capacity – selling out in the last week all the continental euro shows were totally sold out, every one of them, and that is something we have never ever done before. And it was all the very biggest arenas with some multiple dates so the biggest arena tour we have ever done. We still don’t really get much radio or TV support in most places so how can you explain this phenomenon. We just seem to get more and more popular and it appears to be nearly all by word of mouth or the internet maybe. I guess the thing is though is to enjoy it and try not to analyse it too much.

The show went very well and after the show most of band went into hotel bar for a while – Jan then went off on his usual trip around the downtown bars with some friends from here. After a while it left Steve, Bruce, Nicko, Gaddsy, Ian, one of our pilots and our gorgeous german stewardess and myself. The bar was supposed to close at 1 but they took pity on us and kept it open a bit later. Even got Gaddsy to buy me a drink – though after l got him one!! There was a woman of a later but glamorous age playing some really quite good jazz on the piano. I was chatting to Steve before Nicko came down and he told me she looked and sounded a bit like a piano player in Stuttgart about 10 years before when Nicko was so pissed (yes wild young youth then!!!) he sat down next to the lady and played and sang along. Except he cant play piano - or at least couldn’t then. And he certainly cant sing!!! So it really was quite memorable. So just as Steve finishes the story Nicko comes in and his jaw drops. Yes it was the same lady. She may have relieved to see Nick perfectly sober and having abslolutely no intention of joining her again and after she finished her stint she came over and joined us and she and Nick had a good old rabbit !!!

Anyway they finally closed the bar so it was off to bed, up the following am – ie now today – at about 10.30 , a bit of breakfast and out comes the laptop. Maybe l wil get out of the room later!!! Anyway all for now. More after the last 2 shows in Germany.

"It seemed as if every person in the hall knew every word and were belting it out for all they were worth. I have never seen/heard this before – not even in Quebec, Rio, Paris or Spain. And what made it all the more special was the following..."

Meni više ništa u životu ne treba lipoga reći, nakon što je Rod ovo rekao za Milano..... A na koncertima je s Maidenima od prvog...

PONOSAN SAM NA SVIH NAS KOJI SMO IŠLI...

Swedish Radio SR P3 are going to play Iron Maidens concert from the 18th November in Stockholm on their station.

P3 is going to air it on the 28th December at 20.03 Swedish time.

P3 are promising to play the whole 2 hour show.

Iron Maiden Sweden FC will have a direct link to the station at the December 28 so all the fans can listen too it. We'll bring you more information if we get it.

Additionally, IronMaiden.com reports that, tonight (Friday 15th) on VH1 UK there will be a one hour special featuring Maiden in Stockholm.

Starts at 11.00pm and will be repeated on Saturday and Sunday (check listings for times).

"Well, we played in Milano last night and I have to say that the audience, were at one time louder than us. They came in at 112 DBs and we are at around 107/110. ‘Kin loud I can tell you. I still feel that Barcelona was...."

Hotel room Milano Italy
Time: 6:15pm
December 3rd 2006

Well, well, well, hope you’re all doing well today?
We had a fantastic day yesterday.

I had a very quite day off on Friday. We arrived back into Blighty after our show in Barcelona. We landed at 1am and I was at me drum by 2pm. Had a shower and went to bed. Got up at noon and pottered around at the flat. Later on, I went down the village for a late breakfast and picked up a paper some fresh milk and a loaf of bread.
When I got back I just sat and watched the telly. I didn’t feel much like doing anything today. I do feel completely ‘Kin knackered after the show even more so when we have a day off.

I have been feeling a lot better since I have completed me course of antibiotics. I had an early night and was a bit upset as I had been on the phone with Rebecca and our dog, Miss Tatum, is going to have to be put down. Bless her, she’s an old Labrador. She has had a good life, she was 13 years old. I’m devastated I will not see her again. She has had a problem with her health for quite a while so it is best for her I’m sure.

Well, we played in Milano last night and I have to say that the audience, were at one time louder than us. They came in at 112 DBs and we are at around 107/110. ‘Kin loud I can tell you. I still feel that Barcelona was a bit better though. That’s my opinion.

We hit the stage at 9:50pm and it was a brilliant show. Not may I add my best performance but we still rocked the place. After the show I met with me mates from Anthenora and I had the opportunity to give my friend, Bepee from EMI, a copy of their new album, you never know they may get a deal with EMI soon. Let’s pray for that happening boys and girls.

After a few glasses of wine, it was time to head back to the hotel. I had an early-ish night and slept well.

I got up at 1pm this afternoon, obviously needed the rest. Went for a walk over to a magnificent railway station here in Milan. It’s not the central station I know that but what a building.
After a stroll around the local streets I headed back to me hotel.
Watched some skiing on the telly, and then decided to do this diary.
We have another show here in Milano tonight. It is sold out again. The capacity for the Filaforum is 12,500, but I reckon there were at least 14,000 in last night.
So, I’m going now as we are leaving in half an hour for the venue.

Stay safe and well
God bless you all

=Nicko=

PS I love the twelve days of Christmas thread. Very funny!!! TEEHEE.

Snake said:
I got up at 1pm this afternoon, obviously needed the rest. Went for a walk over to a magnificent railway station here in Milan. It’s not the central station I know that but what a building.
After a stroll around the local streets I headed back to me hotel.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
jel možete vjerovat?
mis smo bili tamo oko pola 12 ako se sjećam dobro :shock:

P1010072.jpg

to je taj kolodvor

MaidenNorway.com has posted a following update from Rod Smallwood, who checked in from Manchester, UK on December 15th:

"Sorry about delay in my diary – been a bit of a blur this last week or so. I am sat in the bar at Manchester Airport. I arrived here about midday to get the 13.05 to London Gatwick to go home to Brighton following the show here last night. The flight (so far) has been delayed to 3.35 – pathetic isn’t it. No explanation given at least that l am aware of. Should have taken the train. By the time l get home l could have been in New York!!! At least its giving me time to catch up here!!"

Read on for more...

nyway lets go back to where l left off – Stuttgart December 7. Met up with an old school and uni mate Cookie in the bar at 5 – haven’t seen him in years so great to have a few drinks and catch up. A bit of a day off for me. Went to Schleyerhalle in time for Maiden and took Cookie and his wife and friends up on the desk.

We have played the Schleyerhalle (capacity 13,000 – sold out) a number of times before and always been great shows. But there l am on the desk and getting this weird feeling. The band don’t seem very focussed and a bit out of phase. Also Bruce hadn’t got his usual power which makes it tough for Dougie to get a great sound as he has to push to keep the vocal above the band. With all this it made the audience a bit subdued. And that is unusual for Stuttgart.

Went back to see band straight after show to see if there was any problem. There was. Apparently it was freezing on stage. You know from my diary how distracting it is when there are cold drafts across the stage – this particularly affects Bruce and is never really a problem for Nicko say as he is well hidden and obviously doing a particularly physical job. But tonight they all complained that it was bloody freezing – even Nicko said he was so cold he didn’t even break out into a sweat at any stage – and that’s with all the physical exertion and all the lights!! The Schleyerhalle has built an ice rink behind the stage and it must have been that. It was reasonably ok on the desk otherwise l would have emailed back to Dickie to check it out. It was so cold on stage as l guess the stage area backed on to the ice rink. Bruce had real problems with vocals – you try singing those songs when you are bloody cold – and everyone had problems concentrating as they were so cold. In a way l was quite relieved to find a real reason for the strange gig. It’s a shame for the audience as although it was a guess still a good show. It just wasn’t right on due to the circumstances and the Stuttgart audience deserved more. If we are to play here again will have to check this out carefully as to us it really ruined the gig. Reaction after from people l saw and talked to was still very very positive but l always then think what it would have been if the band and Dougie had been able to be full on!!

Had a few drinks in hotel bar with friends and band after show – pretty lively there!!!!

Following day December 8 we flew up to Dortmund – this sold out weeks ago about 11,500. Before the show EMI Electrola and our old mate Erik the head of marketing presented us with gold discs for Dance of Death, promising gold for AMOLAD very soon. A gold disc in Germany is 100,000 (and for EMI that is over the counter sales as opposed to ship out) but it used to be 250,000 just a few years ago – it just shows the decline in record sales. As everyone knows record sales worldwide are considerably down for all sorts of reasons too complex to go into here (but yes including illegal file sharing, piracy etc etc) but Germany has been hit harder than most for some reason.

Anyway the show was terrific and so was the audience so we all felt a bit better about the night before as at least our second show in Germany was a cracker. The promoter ensured that the hall was draught free following the “discussions” the previous night – not that we could fault the promoter for the iciness, wasn’t his fault they built an ice rink.

Flew home straight after the gig getting back to Brighton about 2.30am.

Day off on the Saturday – well for some. Caught up with emails in home office, tried to do this but didn’t get time, caught up with some personal stuff. And of course saw some rugby on tv.

On Sunday it was back on the train to London for a C4 TV recording Live at Abbey Road. We don’t do much TV as you know - indeed we don’t get offered much !!! – and there is not a lot we would want to do anyway but this was a bit special and it was good to have metal included in a show like this. It was recorded in the big Abbey Road studio but more with a documentary feel than video. The list of artists appearing is very impressive and we are to close out the whole series being the last band on the last show. We did 2 songs both recorded fully live as if we were in rehearsal – most others did 3 but our songs are a bit longer than most!!! Also a bit of interview stuff. I wont go into it more as Val will soon be putting the full news of this on the site so you will get all the full details but we think it will come out really well.

Had a few drinks with Nicko after the recording and stayed in London that night. Off to Cardiff the next day - Monday, December 11 – for the first of the UK run. I will leave it here for now as l need to go to the gate – if its still more delayed l will come back to it!!"

For men fast approaching 50, Iron Maiden have a surprisingly strong bond with teenagers. Two-thirds of the NEC audience appeared to be under 20, a fact not lost on the singer Bruce Dickinson. “You left your dads at home,” he barked, midway through a furiously energetic set. “Next time, bring them, and see if they remember how to rock.”

Keep reading for the full review.

For men fast approaching 50, Iron Maiden have a surprisingly strong bond with teenagers. Two-thirds of the NEC audience appeared to be under 20, a fact not lost on the singer Bruce Dickinson. “You left your dads at home,” he barked, midway through a furiously energetic set. “Next time, bring them, and see if they remember how to rock.”

Iron Maiden’s renaissance is remarkable. In their 30-year career, the original gods of British heavy metal have never stopped selling records, yet recently their appeal to young fans has mushroomed. Released this autumn, their 14th album, A Matter of Life and Death, has been their fastest selling since the Eighties and their first to break the Billboard Top Ten.

Their current tour, however, has caused controversy. Bravely, Iron Maiden play every song from their new album, in order, every night, before closing with just a handful of classic tracks. Some older fans claim to be boycotting the shows, but from the moment the opening chords of a Different World came crashing in, thousands of arms saluted the group and hundreds of bodies bounced up and down. Many didn’t stop for over an hour.

The typically extravagant stage set suited the war theme of the album. Shaped like a bunker, boarded up with sandbags, with the drum kit in a dugout, a body hung by the neck on high ground and a backdrop that showed a combats-clad, machinegun-toting mascot Eddie, it provided plenty of room for the quartet of ludicrously attired Spinal Tap-like guitarists to throw shapes and shake their long hair. Their playing, though, was crisp and clean, driving adventurous songs that persistently changed tack and tempo.

A short-haired, besuited Dickinson never stopped moving all night. Between climbing stairs and striking wide-legged poses, he acted out lyrics with his arms and turned searchlights on the crowd. Nevertheless, towards the end of the set, even the kids needed a kick to keep going and it came courtesy of a giant robotic Eddie, driving a tank on stage. The effect was explosive, but one song on and it was gone.

Eddie appeared again in the encore, this time 10ft tall and possibly with a human beneath. By then, the band were delighting even the fans their own age with Iron Maiden, Fear of the Dark and The Evil That Men Do. Which was better, old or new? There was nothing in it.

Thanks to Lisa Verrico of the Times Online for doing the review!

From the Glasgow Herald:

"It would seem inappropriate not to quote Spinal Tap in the circumstances – but on this evidence, Iron Maiden embody the "majesty of rock / the pageantry of roll" – a 30-year-old institution undergoing a serious revival.

With their classic three-guitar line-up and Bruce Dickinson back on vocals, this is a far cry from the down-at-heel Maiden shows of the mid-1990s, resulting in the kind of full-blown pantomime spectacle that suits them well.

It is a predictably pompous, loud and energetic spectacle. Dickinson even takes time to admonish the crowd for being too boisterous, yet their enthusiasm combined with hero worship and beer could hardly be expected to produce any other kind of response."

Read on for more.

Maiden appeal to a certain type of male mentality, which on the outside may appear disturbing (violence, war and a kind of Satanism-lite) but in its home environment is more comical and good-natured than particularly threatening or sinister.

With an audience of aged disciples and new converts, the choice to concentrate on their most recent album, A Matter of Life and Death, is either a brave or pig-headed one. It is epic (at nearly 80 minutes for 10 tracks), played in sequence and at times verging on progressive rock.

In part hideously overblown, it is also, in flashes, memorable and even contemporary – think Muse meets Queens of the Stone Age.

By the time their mascot Eddie appears (in a tank) for a handful of greatest hits (Fear of the Dark, Evil That Men Do and Two Minutes to Midnight) the truncated nod to their back catalogue is explained by Dickinson, who promises another tour next year.

With another 5000 T-shirts sold, Iron Maiden remain the masters of commercial hard rock.

According to Bruce himself at the Newcastle gig on Sunday, Maiden plan to "take 150,000 fans to a muddy field in the middle of England" next year. I didn't hear him say where but Donnington is the obvious choice but whether it would be part of the Download festival or not remains to be seen. Bruce did seem to imply that it would be a Maiden gig and not part of another festival.

Snake said:
According to Bruce himself at the Newcastle gig on Sunday, Maiden plan to "take 150,000 fans to a muddy field in the middle of England" next year. I didn't hear him say where but Donnington is the obvious choice but whether it would be part of the Download festival or not remains to be seen. Bruce did seem to imply that it would be a Maiden gig and not part of another festival.

muddy field? jel ovo neki povratak na Paschendale? :D LOL

He's a pint-sized guy leading a stadium-sized band. And Iron Maiden frontman Bruce Dickinson is heading "home" next week, writes David Dunn of the English newspaper Sheffield Today. The story reads as follows:

It has to be said that Iron Maiden foghorn Bruce Dickinson is a man of many colours. No sooner had the Worksop-born singer finished addressing 18,000 screaming Spanish fans in Barcelona and he was informing The Star of how tennis elbow soured his passion for fencing.

Not that the tiresome condition prevented the frontman of one of Britain's biggest and most enduring heavy metal bands from reaching international competition standard, or authoring two books, a script, acting in a film, presenting radio shows - or flying his planes. These days this restless father-of-three cites his role as a pilot for a charter airline as his main job...

Read on for more...

Not that you would know it to watch his hyperactive leadership of this UK rock institution. More than 25 years since they became a major force in the music business, Maiden's A Matter Of Life And Death album and world tour have conspired to create one of the most successful periods in their history. In Barcelona they became the first band to sell-out the massive Palau Sant Jordi arena.

"By the time we've got to Earls Court we'll have done the show plenty of times in biggish places," says the 48-year-old son of a car dealer. "Once you get to a certain size you have to go to a huge order of magnitude bigger before it becomes intimidating just because of the sheer size.

"The worst bit of the tour in terms of like 'Aargh' is always the first two weeks. And particularly the first three or four shows, because it doesn't matter how much you rehearse and what you do it's just like there's always that 'oh s***'. You hope you open your mouth and the right stuff is gonna tumble out at the right time. But there's always this fear that it won't."

Come Christmas the band will have played 44 shows to 500,000 people in 18 countries. Bruce brings them to Sheffield's Hallam FM Arena on Monday the 18th.

As Bruce Dickinson carefully reminds us, 2006 has been Iron Maiden's most successful year, with the heavy metal monsters selling out bigger venues than in their Number of the Beast 1980s heyday. This, Dickinson tells us, may have something to do with the less-than-rocking competition. Reality TV and such are "Bollocks, basically," he says, to cheers, before leading the band (named after an instrument of torture) into "a good old-fashioned power-ballad. Get your lighters out, set fire to the ashtrays!"

Read on for more.

As pop moves forward, there is something reliably out of sync about the Maiden. Comeback album A Matter of Life and Death has a war theme, which enables the boys to trot out more anthems about death. The stage set features sandbags, searchlights and newspaper headlines from 1944. It seems to have escaped their attention that a war is currently raging, but no one ever accused heavy metal of being topical.

The band defy time in every way, sporting preposterous rock barnets (a trimmed Dickinson aside) at ages when they should concern themselves with gardening but, crucially, they still rock like beasts. With Dickinson operatically wailing, the new album is played in full before the group delight rockers of all ages with the venerable classics Iron Maiden and Fear of the Dark. Sensitivity prevents the inclusion of Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter, but disappointment is banished when band horror mascot "Eddie" appears as a polystyrene tank commander and then a 12ft walking soldier. Dickinson suggests the band will celebrate their renewed popularity by taking 150,000 fans "to a muddy field in the middle of England" next year. It will probably look just like the Somme.

The review is written by Dave Simpson from The Guardian, who gave the gig four out of five stars.

Iron Maiden has been confirmed as the first headliner of the Desert Rock 2007 festival, set to take place March 9-10, 2007 at the Dubai Country Club in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Also newly added to the bill is Lauren Harris, daughter of Steve Harris. The festival billing is shaping up as follows:

March 9, 2007:

Iron Maiden, The Prodigy, Stone Sour, Mastodon, In Flames, Children of Bodom, Lauren Harris, Junkyard Groove (Winners of the Battle to Desert Rock)

March 10, 2007:

Incubus, Prime Circle

More bands for the second day will be announced soon.

Dom Lawson of Kerrang! has reviewed Iron Maiden's concert at the NEC in Birmingham on December 12, giving it the maximum score of five K:s and providing a more or less entirely positive review.

Keep reading for the article.

Whether its Metallica tearing through a complete 'Master Of Puppets' at Download or Slayer re-visiting 'Reign In Blood' in its entirety, trips into the past invaribly provide spectacular entertainment and iron clad memories that fans will cherish forever. But, in contrast such a reliance on material written two decades amounts to tacit admission that even legendary bands would struggle to engage an audience if they had to rely solely on new songs.

NEC, Birmingham
KKKKK (INCREDIBLE)

Therefore, when Iron Maiden announced their intention to base their current tour around an end-to-end performance of 'A Matter Of Life And Death', the acclaimed 72 minute opus that emerged barely four months ago, we simply had to stand back and admire the size and weight of their enormous metallic balls.

The fact is, Maiden are not like other bands and their fans are not like other fans. The relationship between the two is so powerful that Maiden are in the unique position of being able to embark on this undeniably indulgent project without anyone raising an eyebrow. And, as they hit the NEC stage tonight, launch into 'Different World' and then follow it with the latest albums other nine tracks - in sequence - the response from the sold out auditorium is every bit as rabid and explosive as it would be if Maiden were wheeling out their greatest hits. Admittedly, there are plenty of challenging and elaborate moments during 'A Matter Of Life And Death' and at times the audience seem temporarily subdued, as if they are absorbing the songs through their eardrums and eyeballs, rather than surrendering to the standard sonic nobrainer. But as each song ends the familiar roar of a Maiden crowd erupts and its business as usual.

The new songs sound phenomenal brought to life; even more urgent, aggressive and dramatic than their studio counter-parts. If there's any justice, the best of them - 'Brighter than a thousand suns' , 'The longest day', 'The legacy' - will remain on Maiden set lists for a long time. Its an unforgettable bravura performance.

Yes, there are dazzling lights, stunning stage-sets, giant tanks and a machine gun-wielding Eddie. Yes, the night is topped off with a flurry of old favourites including a electrifying 'Fear of the dark' and the immortal 'Hallowed be thy name'. But tonight was about the power and excitement of the new, and the fact that unlike many much younger bands, Iron Maiden continue to set the pace. Still relevant. Still the best.

Review by Dom Lawson of Kerrang.

Iron Maiden have announced that they will be headlining the DESERT ROCK FESTIVAL in Dubai on Friday 9th March 2007. The supporting bill for this day is currently The Prodigy as Special Guests plus Stone Sour, In Flames, Mastodon, Children of Bodom, Lauren Harris and Junkyard Groove .

This will be the fourth Desert Rock Festival in Dubai since it started in 2004 and it will take place at the Dubai Country Club. Tickets will be made available from the official Desert Rock Festival website - desertrockfestival.com - where full details of the festival and site can be found.

Says manager Rod Smallwood 'Maiden have always enjoyed and been prepared to visit and play in new parts of the World and this is certainly no exception. We expect to take the full European stage Production and as its our first time there. We will adjust the set to include more of the favourites these fans wont have heard live before along with selected tracks from our new album 'A Matter of Life and Death' which has been very successful in Arabia with a Top 5 Chart entry. As this tour has been so much fun we may even add a couple more special shows in mid-March so watch this space'

Adds Bruce Dickinson 'This is certainly something new to us as I don't believe anyone from the band has ever played here at all so we're all really looking forward to this. We all enjoy touring where we've always had fantastic support but there is something always a bit special about playing to new fans in a part of the world you'd never really expected to play. It certainly looks and sounds like a great festival and line up and I'm already planning a special BruceAir trip out for this one which will be amazing I'm sure.

We're just getting to the end of whats been a brilliant year for all of us and we've had a fantastic reaction to the tour throughout and we 'd like to thank all the fans for their support on the album and the tour. It's been incredible.'

Details of the Bruce Air three day trip out to Dubai and the Desert Rock Festival will be posted tomorrow, Friday 22nd December on seegigs.co.uk

More tour diaries are coming in - Nicko McBrain reports from Stuttgart and Rod keeps us updated on the Manchester gig. Read on for the articles...

Nicko in Stuttgart

We had the second of our two shows in Milano on Sunday. It was a great night. No problems for us on stage and all in all a fantastic night. Highlight was the audience singing FoTD. It was especially funny that they sang the ‘Your turn’ bit and the laugh. Talk about laugh, I couldn’t stop. I even missed the downbeat of the verse. It was so funny."

Hotel room - Stuttgart Germany
Time: 4: pm
December 7th 2006

Well, well, well, how are you all doing today?
Have had a most splendid time over these last couple of days I can tell you!!!!!!!!!

We had the second of our two shows in Milano on Sunday. It was a great night. No problems for us on stage and all in all a fantastic night. Highlight was the audience singing FoTD. It was especially funny that they sang the ‘Your turn’ bit and the laugh. Talk about laugh, I couldn’t stop. I even missed the downbeat of the verse. It was so funny. Thank you, you crazy, ‘kin Billie’s in Milano, what a great time!!!

After the show we did a runner back to Blighty. I was home by 2am and in me bed and lights off for 3.
Got up late that morning and popped down the village again for a spot of brunch. Got back to me drum and decided to go for a drive around the local area. Went and found a great rubber dub in the next village along called Chalfont St Giles. Great watering hole called Merlin’s Cave, good drop of IPA in there I can tell you. After a pint I decided to have an early supper. Found a gem of a restaurant called ‘Cape Fish’ just at the top of the hill up from the village green. I had a great starter of Scallops followed by a fantastic piece of Sea Bass. Lovely jubbly!!!!!!!!!!! After dinner I went for another wee drive and ended back at my place a little after 8pm. I watched some telly and had an early night.

Tuesday we were off to Zurich. We left London at 1:30pm and arrived at the hotel for 4pm. After checking in I decided to go to the gig early. Me old china Danny Zimmermann was going to meet me, he is the artist relations man for Paiste cymbals.
I arrived at 5:30pm and did a small interview with Danny for a top Swiss news program that will be aired tonight. The cameras were at the factory as well. I’ll tell you more about that in a little bit.
I had a special room arranged for my guests from the company. Ted Voellmy the financial director and a group of the production guys came. I haven’t seen Ted for an age and it was great to see him at the show, as well as the rest of me chums.

We hit the stage at 9:05pm and had a blast. I did however make a complete balls up on BTATS; I had a ‘Kin brain fart right at the point of the second swell just before the end of the song. I completely missed it. We got out of it well and things seemed to be a wee bit on the quick side from there on in. After the show, Harry, Bruce and meself had a chuckle about it but in general all thought that it was a storming show. What do I know!!!

After the show I took a shower and went to meet with Danny, Ted and the guys. We had a drink and then said our farewells. I got back to the hotel by 1:30pm and made last orders in the bar. Had me night cap and went to bed.

The next morning I was up and ready for a 1 pm departure from the hotel. I was due a visit to the Paiste factory, Geezer was coming with me especially as he has so much history with the family as well, after all he did tech for me for 13 years AAAAHHHEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I haven’t been to the factory in such a long time. I usually take a pilgrimage at least once a year to present to the production guys a gold record from myself as a token of my appreciation to them for their great workmanship and commitment to meself. I love this part of me job. I get to shake their hands and they stop work for the afternoon and we have a beer or two and a laugh. This time Ted had arranged a picnic table and food and wine along with copious amounts of beer,
Bless ‘im.
We all had a fantastic time.
I presented to the guys an award for the last three studio albums.
It will look good on the wall next to the vending and coffee machines that already have a number of our gold discs on it.
I am honored to have such a wonderful relationship with this family and the workers, they make such great sounding cymbals.
I Love you guys I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After my presentation, they gave me a wonderful 26” cymbal that all the production guys had signed and there was a very nice message written on it thanking me for being a great ambassador for the company. It most definitely bought a tear to me eye I can tell you.
We finished up around six after everyone had left to go home. Danny, Geezer and meself decided to go visit with me very dear friend Bobby Leiser. He was the man responsible for me getting my number one deal with Paiste way back in the late seventies.
He hasn’t worked with Paiste for the last 16 years. He has his own company called ‘The Swiss Cheese and Chocolate Company’, they retail and rent music equipment. What a crazy name for a rental company AAAAHHHEEE. He has a new home in a village which we would pass on our way back to Zurich and so we decided to make the wee detour and go see him and his lovely misses, Dominique, she runs a wee bar out of their home called Bar Luna, and Bobby has made a sort of museum of Hammond organs named, ‘The Hammond Gallery’. What a lovely, sweet and peaceful feeling there was in his home. I was very happy to be able to go and see them both.
We took a glass of beer and a wee drop of local wine and then made our way back to town. We were all feeling very hungry and so Danny took us to a great, French restaurant that he new. We had a great meal.

After dinner we had a wee libation in the bar at the restaurant, It was called Jules Verna. Great place, can’t remember the name of the restaurant though, bollox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After dinner we got dropped back at the hotel. We said goodbye to Danny and I hit the hay
What a phenomenal day it was. Thank you to everyone at ‘Paiste’ for the most memorable visit yet

This morning we made the journey to Stuttgart. It was a short flight and we arrived at the hotel for 3pm. I had a spot of room service and then wrote this diary. It’s a little after 4:45pm so I’m going to have a wee siesta and then head down to the show.
Me old china, Christian, from HK audio is at the show today. He has brought me a powered bass monitor cab. I had one of them in Japan and it really had the ‘Kin Bollox I can tell. Anyway I’ll get to see him later and speak at you lot later.

Stay safe and well
God bless you all.

=Nicko=

Rod in Manchester

"We had a fun moment though when Adrian’s guitar lead got caught up in the rotating wheels of the tank during Iron Maiden – which Bruce announced after as a true Spinal Tap moment of guitarist eaten by tank!!!
STILL AT MANCHESTER BLOODY AIRPORT FRI DEC 15 3.15 pm

So the flight has now been delayed a further hour – be quicker to walk soon. Three and a half hours at least late for such a short journey. Maybe its weather conditions. Anyway at least got time to continue and maybe even catch up!!

So to Cardiff – got train down there. I do enjoy travelling by train especially compared to schedule flights and the perpetual inconvenience of flying and security and queues etc etc etc. Anyway easy ride and got to Cardiff about 4.

One of the nice things about touring is meeting up with various old friends along the way and in Cardiff is one of my best mates from Uni, Tudor, who is a Prof and head of research at Cardiff Uni Hospital. One of the brightest people l have met – he was lecturing the Russians on cardiology when he was 27!! We met in the bar at 5 to catch up for a couple of hours before the show. Always interesting to see him – years ago he told me about chaos theory way before it became “fashionable”. It was such an exciting concept l called Bruce who like me enjoys these type of quirky theories and l think it was woven into some of his songs at that time.

It’s small gig in Cardiff, only about 7500 and sold out very quickly months ago. It’s called the CIA – Cardiff International Arena – but how they can call it an arena is beyond me. No disrespect intended but the “arena seating” is strips around the side. The audience is crammed on the floor and the sound sort of rotates around the curved hall. And it was unbelievably hot. The audience as always in Cardiff was good but even they were wilting by the end. But we do like to do a show in Wales – l think we have on every tour and we have always had great support there going right back to the early days and Newport – and this is the most appropriate venue. And anyway the Welsh are a nation of rugby fans so it’s always a pleasure to get to talk rugby with the locals – it was pretty tough in Italy and Germany!!

We have been meaning to get together with the Trivium boys for a few beers for ages but due to differing travelling arrangements and various local problems of closing times and distances we hadn’t managed it. But back in the good old UK you can pretty well guarantee if you have a decent hotel you can keep the bar open if drinks are still being bought. So we all convened in the hotel bar after the show with sundry friends and colleagues and managed to keep the bar open for quite some time.

Deserved lie in the next day then drove up to Birmingham with Bruce. He has a pretty fast car for the tour and we got there in minutes!!!! You can imagine – not that Bruce has an appetite for speed of course!!!

Great show that night which led to a major and excellent review in the Times!!! Now that makes a change!! The NEC is a very good hall and again we have played it many many times. Sold out ages ago about 11,500. The place was packed and also packed with band friends inc apparently about half of the Aston Villa FC who Steve brought along as he had a game earlier. Major mayhem everywhere but we are used to it.

After the show l drove back to London with Andy our promoter. Stayed near Marble Arch which his sat nav finally found after varied detours. I really don’t trust those things, they usually manage to find all the traffic lights

Went in to the new Phantom offices the next day. Starting to take shape. Had various meetings then went to see Dragonforce in the evening at the Astoria along with their mgr and my old mate and ex Sanctuary colleague the notorious Liverpool FC fan Steve McTaggert. I was instrumental in signing the band to Sanctuary records with Steve about 3 years ago and they have really come on. Terrific metal band and 2 sold out nights at the Astoria with incredible audience reaction and communal spirit almost reminiscent of early Maiden. Good guys too and from all over the world. If you haven’t already check em out.

After went along to the live nation (our promoters) xmas party. Great – it was at a bowling alley and also had table football. Bowling at 1.30 am – why not!! Really good night all round.

Got the train up to Manchester the following day – yesterday dec 14 – for the show at the MEN Arena. Another great venue, cap about 15,000 sold out a few weeks ago, first time we have sold it out for some time. Went straight to gig from station to catch up on a load of stuff with Dickie and Ian and a few things later with the band relating to 07. This was a fantastic show. Sound was amazing and so was the audience. It’s always a great feeling after a completely full on show and this was another of them.

We had a fun moment though when Adrian’s guitar lead got caught up in the rotating wheels of the tank during Iron Maiden – which Bruce announced after as a true Spinal Tap moment of guitarist eaten by tank!!!

Another unusual thing happened straight after the band finished. I was on the desk as usual and turned round to find the desk area barricades being forced over by a whole melee of young fans trying to get something given out by the security lady. The barrier was falling over. I checked what it was and it was ticket stubs. I asked a couple of fans if they had tickets and they said yes so l didn’t see what it was all about and as the barriers protecting the gear were being pushed back l just grabbed all the tix in handfuls and threw them out. Found out later that when those standing in the arena come in their tickets are taken and they are given wristbands. Then at the end of the show these tix are given back to fans on the way out and at the desk if they want them. I don’t think the hall realised how determined Maiden fans are hence the barrier potential problem. But if any of you guys missed out on a ticket as l grabbed ‘em my apologies – we will be aware next time and work it a better way. I can fully understand why the kids want a ticket as a souvenir – surely there is a better way though.

Short visit to bar after show, slept well, got to airport for 12 and still here at 4.30. Time to see if we have a plane yet. I won’t be at next few shows until EC but more after that. If you are going to be at Glasgow, Newcastle or Sheffield look after the guys for me!!!

Ps when l woke up this morning of course Sky 1 was on for the cricket …..Yet another disastrous day following a really good day for England. So from now on …..PLS DON’T MENTION THE CRICKET

Sources: Maiden Norway.com

Producer Kevin Shirley has issued the following brief update: "Just popped into Studios 301 in Sydney today to mix a couple of live Maiden tracks they sent me down here - they're playing great!!!"

He continues, "Maiden are doing the big Earl's Court shows in London this weekend - wish I was there to see them!"

No surprise there.

UK broadsheet (that means not full of smut and supposedly more "real" view of news compared to tabloids - for those outside the UK) newspaper, The Independent published an article reviewing the recent Newcastle gig and comparing it to Tenacious D's show in London. Read on to read the full article. Comments appreciated :)

Iron Maiden, Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle
Tenacious D, Hammersmith Apollo, London
The nursery school of rock
By Simon Price
Published: 24 December 2006

Mock rock versus the real deal. That was the compare and contrast concept for this week's column. But reality has a way of throwing a spanner in the works.

On their latest arena tour, Iron Maiden fans are being charged £37 for the privilege of hearing the band's brand new album - which many of them haven't yet bought, or listened to much - played in its entirety (with a handful of oldies thrown in at the end). That is to say, the privilege of being advertised to.

A Matter of Life and Death is something of a concept album concerning warfare, religion, and the causal connections between the two. Accordingly, Maiden enter the stage to the sound of war-movie music, in front of a backdrop which initially shows the bombed-out ruins of what might be Strasbourg 1944 or, given the band's East End origins, Stratford, then progressively depicts Eddie - the band's zombie/scarecrow mascot - in a variety of martial scenarios (Eddie dressed as a Second World War Tommy, Eddie marching in front of a Chieftain tank, and so on).

Such gaucheness is only to be expected from a band whose passports all say 50 or nearly, but whose mental age is still 12. With verses like "Far away from the land of our birth/ We fly a flag in some foreign earth/ We sailed away like our fathers before/ These colours don't run, from a cold bloody war", AMOLAD is clearly an album with its heart in the right place, but it is also clearly the work of overgrown children (all that histrionic imagery: "valkyries" this, "Armageddon" that...)

As they riff away, in front of a wall of painted sandbags, it occurs that this is a band who are, both literally and metaphorically, entrenched. With Adrian Smith, Janick Gers and Dave Murray twiddling away and Bruce Dickinson shrieking at that unmistakeable scalded-cat pitch, this is an album - and a performance - which could have come from any year since 1981 (the year Dickinson joined).

Tonight, the audience too is a very 1981 crowd, and also one of the ugliest I've seen. Everybody's dressed in washed-out, off-black denim, as though faded by a quarter-century of getting your mum to do your laundry.

The appeal of Maiden to children is no mystery. IM aren't only pre-political. Almost uniquely among heavy metal bands, they're pre-sexual too. They're stuck in the pre-pubescent phase of playing with toy soldiers, and reading Battle and Warlord.

None of which would matter if, on the night, Maiden gave good show. But they don't. Bruce Dickinson, inseparable in my mind from Bill Oddie (same stature, speaking voice, and puckish demeanour) leaps from podium to podium, but rarely speaks, aside from raising some cheap laughs by describing reality TV as "bollocks". The theory, he explains, is that the new album should be allowed to speak for itself..

Oh, it speaks. For what seems like an eternity (10 songs in 70 minutes). But by the time they reward our patience with a handful of oldies ("Two Minutes", "Fear of The Dark", "The Evil That Men Do", "Hallowed Be Thy Name"), the disappointed faces around me have already stopped listening.

What hell hath Jack Black's scene-stealing turn in High Fidelity unleashed? By mesmerising the gullible into the temporary delusion that he is actually funny (a delusion which is curable in most cases by watching School of Rock, catching the trailer to The Pick Of Destiny, or merely glancing at a poster for Nacho Libre), Black has gurned and mugged himself into a position where his comedy-rock band, Tenacious D, can fill major venues.

A gonzo duo in the Bill and Ted/Beavis and Butthead/Wayne and Garth tradition (with just a hint of Jake and Elwood), Tenacious D allows 37-year-old Black and his 46-year-old sidekick (and classically-trained guitarist) Kyle Gass indulge in puerile fratboy humour.

But, on their own terms, Jables and Kage (to give them their stage names) entertain. You go to a Tenacious D concert, and you'll get dancing robots, skits involving the Devil and Jesus challenging them to a "rock-off" (hey, I never said it was hilarious), band members dressed as Col Sanders and Charlie Chaplin, classic rock covers (including a Tommy medley), and their own songs such as the lurve-ballad spoof "Fuck Her Gently", "Tribute" (which crosses The Charlie Daniels Band's "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" with Led Zeppelin's "Stairway To Heaven"), and "The Pick Of Destiny", which boasts a hook that stays in the brain longer than anything on the latest Maiden album.

In purely relative terms, the jokers edge out the real rockers. In either case, I can think of better things to do with my 37 quid...

Back