pocelo je pocelo ... turneja 2006.

Quebec report

Well l was right - what a gig. If any audience on the rest of the tour matches all our good friends in Quebec l will be surprised but delighted! Sold out a few days ago, the 10,500 capacity venue was rammed and rammed with the loudest Maiden fans on the planet. Everything worked today - on stage sound was good for the band, lights looked superb, band played really well, all production worked precisely - all ok as it should be after the three warm up shows (dont get me wrong, not that these warm up shows werent important, every show is, its just you have to start somewhere and iron out the gremlins a bit).

We arrived in Quebec from Philly at about 2am. l went to bed as work to do in the morning but all the band except H went out and had a good time at a local bar. l was up early and pretty well spent all day doing emails and the same the following day until going to the show at about 5. Its a very busy time for me with the album and tour doing so well - enjoy every minute of it though. Very exciting time.

The evening before the show Jan, Ian, Dick and Gaddsy went out for dinner and were walking to the restaurant when an unmarked police car pulled up having recognised Jan and being Maiden fans like most of this city l think. They got chatting and Ian asked them for a lift to the restaurant. They agreed but as they couldnt all fit in the the policeman called his policewoman wife to come and assist - which she did in a marked car!! Ian suggested they arrest Jan and cuff him and put him in the car. Just then a passing fan asked for Jan's autograph - Jan responded saying he was just being arrested, the fan just looked at him and said "well can you sign it before they handcuff you"!!! l will put pics up recording the Gers arrest. Anyway they got to the restaurant and apparently had a great meal after signing more autographs.

After the show last night we all ended up in the hotel with the Beavers - you may recall the "where beavers dare" T shirt l put up amongst the pics the other day. Basically the beavers are a Maiden loving club of about 50 great guys in their 20s who come to most of the Canadian shows and make a special T for the event - they print one each and some for me and the band, which l wear with pride. The shirt for this tour is brilliant as you will see when l get the pics - "these beavers dont run"!! They had all booked into the hotel and were all in the bar so we took a group shot with Dave, Steve, Jan and the beavers which they are sending me to post here. We all had a good laugh in the bar. Like most Maiden fans they were a great group of guys (and a gal!) and l spent most of the time chatting to them. They took pains not to be too enthusiastic and gave the band some space and l definitely respect that. Its cool spending time with fans but not if they get too much in your face and too pushy. They even bought me a beer or two - thanks fellas.

Anyway its diary and email time again after a good breakfast. We leave for Montreal about 3 - should be another great show tongiht. l believe its now sold out with about 13,500 more wonderful Quebecois - will they be as good as last night?? As that great man said "only time will tell"!!! See y'all later.

- Rod

janick_arrested.jpg

janick_cuffs.jpg

beaver%20club%20front.jpg

LOL LOL LOL

In a live interview with the "Friday Night Rocks" radio show on New York's Q104.3 FM conducted on Friday (Oct. 13), IRON MAIDEN drummer Nicko McBrain defended the band's decision to play their new album, "A Matter of Life and Death", in its entirety on MAIDEN's current tour.

Said Nicko: "You're never gonna be able to please everybody all the time.

"When we finished recording this record — that was way back in March/April of this year — when Kevin [Shirley, producer] had finished putting everything together and we listened to the record from top to bottom, it's one of those moments where — we're not sure who said it — but it was one of those magical moments when everyone was like, 'We've gotta do this live.' More than likely it was Steve [Harris] that said something. Nobody knows who it was that came up with this idea of doing it, but it doesn't really matter, because we all were in agreement. And we went, 'This is too good. What do you leave off this record?' In the past, we've always done five or six songs off a 10- or 11-track album. And so you kind of normally had two-thirds of the record performed live — I mean, 'Dance of Death', we did six tracks off the album — but this is historically the first time we've EVER ventured into doing something like this.

"For me, my personal feeling, and it's very well documented, I'm sure, is that I think that this is the best album I've ever made with this band. So I was delighted — it was a challenge, it is a challenge every night to play these songs, because they're very intricate, there's a lot more progression… there's lots of reasons what makes, for me, this album to play live a challenge. But we decided to take the bull by the horns and say, 'Look, we're not really worried…' Because we knew — and believe me, we sat and we said, 'You know we're gonna get flak for this from a lot of our older fans and even some of the newer fans who wanna hear the older classic songs.' But this is the wonderful thing when you've got 14 records that are all magic that all have great songs on them. So, let's just say, there's an average of 10 songs [per album], there's 140 tunes to choose from over a wonderful career of 25-plus years. The older fans and newer fans all go, 'I wanna hear my favorite, I wanna hear this…' but to do this, it is bold, and we just decided, 'Look, this is what WE wanna do as a band.' And we took the decision, and we knew we were gonna get various amounts of flak for it. And to be honest with you, I wrote a little [tour] diary [entry] the other day and I stuck it on the site and I said, 'Look, for you guys out there, stop freakin' whining. Just come and enjoy it. This is what we're doing because this is what WE want to do.' And it's not about not doing what our fans want. Because our fans made this record No. 9 — it was a Top 10 album — we've never had a Top 10 album in America. So there's a lot of people who are very happy to hear this album in its entirety. There are gonna be the people that are whining and moaning and groaning about it… Well, too freakin' bad. You're gonna get what get.

"Listen, if you look at it this way, and this is the way I look at it: You do an IRON MAIDEN set. We've got it split into thirds. We're doing two-thirds of the set new stuff; one-third is the old stuff. So you're getting two-to-one new. OK? That ain't bad. The great thing about it is that you know full well you're always get 'Iron Maiden' — it's the show closer, it's the signature song for the band. That will always be played last, and that's usually when you'll get the feature of whatever the theatrics we have on the stage — the entertainment side. We'll always have the album theme with a special effect come out — you're always gonna get that. One thing you always will have is 'Hallowed be thy Name', because I… myself and Steve, it's both our favorite IRON MAIDEN song to play live. And I made a deal with Steve years ago, and I said, 'If there's ever a time when you decide you don't want to do this song, you're gonna have to go get a new drummer.' Those two songs you will always have — always. There may be a time when we drop 'Hallowed' — possibly. But songs like 'The Trooper', 'Number of the Beast'… We've got 'Fear of the Dark', '2 Minutes to Midnight', and people go, 'Oh, I don't wanna hear '2 Minutes…' I'm fed up with it.' You're never gonna please everybody. But, of course, you don't wanna make somebody upset. They come all the way to see you, and they spend a lot of money to come down and have a good night out, and then they go, 'Oh, I'm disappointed.' I've read some e-mails that people have sent it, saying, 'I hope they change the setlist by the time they hit Europe.' Well, I've got news for you. Sell you freakin' tickets. Go scalp 'em. 'Cause we ain't changing the setlist."

Billboard.com has posted their review of the gig in Nassau. Due to the excessive amount of setlist spoilers you'll have to keep reading for the story...

The message was clearly scrawled in black magic marker on cardboard -- "Play Classics." The sign started being displayed towards the back of the general admission floor of Nassau Coliseum as soon as Iron Maiden took the stage, and magically, eventually made its way to the stage, into the hands of the band's frontman, Bruce Dickinson. Why would a fan send this message? What would Dickinson's reaction be?

Since reuniting with Dickinson in 1999, Maiden has toured several times, and on two of the tours (theaters in '99, Ozzfest in 2005), offered fans set lists comprised entirely of classic material. Yet on its current tour in support of the just-released "A Matter of Life and Death," the group put the classics on the backburner and opted to perform the album in its entirety.

Maiden has always been renowned for its extravagant stage sets, and on this jaunt, the stage reflected the military feel of the latest album cover. A sand bag barrier was stacked in the front of the center monitor and dangling from the lights on side of the stage was a soldier tangled up in the cords of a foiled parachute attempt.

Dickinson intermittently flashed two different huge flood lights from each side of the stage -- just in case he had to aid a plane landing on the stage. And like past Maiden tours, the stage proved to be two levels tall -- complete with catwalks to be prowled upon by Dickinson.

Always a proponent of "thinking man's metal," Dickinson proved that the group is still a chief party metal antidote during one of his stage raps. Instead of asking if the crowd was "ready to rock," he asked if they ever experienced waking up in the middle of the night, after dreaming they had died. And then upon realizing that it was only a dream, in actuality, they are getting closer to waking up in the next dimension. Certainly not a conversation Bret Michaels often has with his audience.

And once and for all, third guitarist Janick Gers has confirmed that his chief idol is none other than the legendary Nigel Tufnel -- as evidenced by this non-stop posing, prancing in place, guitar twirling and a pair of ridiculously tight black trousers.

But then there was the set list. No "Trooper," no "Number of the Beast," no bloody "Run to the Hills." The gentleman who penned the aforementioned note to the band had obviously already seen the set list, and was spot-on with his sentiment. But when the large note made it's way to the stage and into Dickinson's hand, the singer merely glanced at it, showed it to the crowd and then tore it to shreds -- while the band merrily riffed away the rest of the album. Which in a way, summarized the entire evening and the band's unwillingness to give the crowd what they wanted.

Granted, the group played the new material perfectly. But come on, an album's worth of new songs that the majority of the crowd isn't familiar with? An understandable argument is that Maiden could have easily flipped the set list from back-to-front, and with a few alterations, it would have worked far better. By the time the band got to the homestretch of classics, the audience went absolutely bonkers -- especially on "Iron Maiden," "The Evil That Men Do," and "2 Minutes to Midnight." It was also during the latter portion that a giant tank emerged from behind the stage, and later, a larger than life replica of their mascot, Eddie, came waltzing across the stage, dressed in military garb and brandishing a rifle.

Performing an album's worth of tunes is not new in the realm of rock. But said albums are usually confirmed classics, not a 14th studio album barely a month old, at the expense of old favorites the entire audience has come to hear. A pretty bold move. Or a pretty indulgent one.

Thanks to Greg Prato of Billboard for doing the review!

Ma nek se goni u vrazju mater, budala! Ovo je turneja koja promovira novi album. Ako se nekome ne sviđaju te pjesme, nek pričeka godinu dana kad krene turneja Powerslave-SIT-SOASS-NPFTD i imat će klasika za slušati.

I, moram biti prost, nek odjebu svi sa tim Run To The Hills, sviraju to smece vec 6 godina bez prestanka. I nije *cijela* publika dosla slusati stare hitove, kladio bih se da je barem 70% njih culo novi album.

Gul_Ranek said:
I, moram biti prost, nek odjebu svi sa tim Run To The Hills, sviraju to smece vec 6 godina bez prestanka.
ja bi rekao da je sviraju non stop otkad je snimljena :D
Btw, ako imam najmrze 2 stvari Maidena, to su definitivno The Trooper i RTTH..... Jos malo pa ce ih poceti svirati po svatovima mladencima za prvi ples

Best of tours 1999., 2003., 2005. i 2008.

Ja bi ih vezao za stolicu i pustao klasike 24 sata neprekidno.

nemojte sad bit preokrutni, ok su i klasici ali na ovoj turneji hoćemo čut novi album

meni trooper ne ide na živce, jedino mi možda ide 23:58

Rod Smallwood has posted another tour diary, this time from New York...

"We decided to hold show 15 minutes to allow for more fans to get there – cost us $3000 in overtime so l hope you late arrivals appreciate it (send something to Clive’s charity as a thanks!!)" On another matter, Rod states: "Christ – this is metal audience. We don’t need these wankers to save us. We want to SWEAT and have it loud and hot!"...

NEW YORK – OCT 15 – 10 am

Its been a couple of days since last entry but thought l’d cover the NY area shows together and just needed a day off yesterday. Still having online problems – l was OK here for first day or so here but now l can open VPN okay and get online but cant get Outlook to connect with VPN so stuck. l will have to load this onto portable drive l carry and get Gaddsy to email in so this may be even later by the time it gets up.

It was a day off on Wed 11th. I caught up on email and the only other thing we were to do was a radio interview with ABC national news at 3pm. This was also going to be used on Good Morning America, but GMA advised that morning that it was no longer possible due to extended coverage of the situation in Korea with the nuclear testing. We were about to leave for ABC when we got a call that it was off due to a plane crashing into a building in the lower east side. At the time we had no idea what the implications were and whether it was terrorist related but of course it tragically was an accident involving the New York Yankees pitching star Cory Lidle. We didn’t reschedule the interview as the next two days were show days and generally Bruce does nothing at all on show days but concentrate on the show. Shame as it would probably have been an interesting interview from a different viewpoint.

That evening l had dinner with Cory Brennan who is with Sanctuary management in NY and manages Slipknot and Stone Sour. Cory really knows his US metal scene and has been helping me with the Maiden album as his knowledge of the US market is much greater than mine now and his help in some areas like retail and marketing has been invaluable. He also does a terrific job managing his acts and Stone Sour are doing really well on the new album. After dinner we met up with Tom and Felix from our merchandisers Bravado and also Justin and Brian who manage Trivium and Monte from Roadrunner. Caught up on latest gossip etc etc and then off to see Trivium play a small fan gig nearby. Just playing covers like Metallica but fun. Look forward to seeing them properly in Tempere on their first Euro show with us. I have known the band and Justin and Brian for some time now and its always good to see them all. Their new album “The Crusade” seems to be starting off well too. Got back to hotel reasonably early, read a bit (The Afghan – Frederick Forsythe – great writer, interesting book. Next is “The Bomb” which Bruce just read and passed on to me) and crashed out.

Funny how quickly on the road you lose track of time and what day it is (cos it doesn’t really matter on the road – every day is either show day or day off and that’s it) … and what you did a couple of days before. Anyway Thursday was Nassau Colisseum on Long Island and during the day l think l just caught up on emails as l managed to get online fine. Left for the gig with Bruce and we took John McMurtrie with us who is doing pictures for the European tour programme – he was also in Quebec and Montreal though l forget if l mentioned it. He showed me the Canada pics on his laptop while we were waiting for Bruce and they were superb so the tour programme should look fantastic. Traffic going down there was murder, nearly 2 bloody hours in the car – just what you don’t need before a show. Partly knock on effect of the plane crash the day before and partly NY is coming to a permanent grid lock like many other cities in the world, the traffic and conditions of the roads being appalling.

We put this tour in now as the band finished the album 2 months earlier than planned which gave us chance to tour North America and Japan before Europe. It was booked relatively short notice and we couldn’t get a suitable date at Madison Square Gardens so l decided on Meadowlands arena, a 15,000 or so capacity arena just through LincolnTunnel in New Jersey – like a lot of halls over here it is now corporatised with the name Continental Airlines Arena. Our agent came back saying promoter said we should do Nassau too, we would sell it out. Are you sure? Yes. Are you sure we will sell both out?? Yes! are you certain ? Yes. Well they were wrong. Nassau is an old hockey arena and home of the Islanders and hasn’t been, as far as l am informed, a popular rock gig for a while although we used to play it a lot in the eighties. We ended up with only a few over 8000 and it wasn’t a great gig. The roof has massive iron girders which had a detrimental effect on the sound and the place was bloody cold. The audience were ok but not great but more on that later. We are used to hot, packed arenas and amazing atmospheres with our fans and this just wasn’t so a bit of a disappointment and personally l think our most disappointing NY show ever. Not the performance, just the general vibe of the show. Nothing too bad, but just not there if you see what l mean. It didn’t help either that the Mets were playing at home that night in the National League play offs – and we hit the traffic from that on the way back. Another almost 2 hours in the van to go about 8 miles, bloody depressing!! Not a great night all round. Disappointing for Val and Dave from my office who have come in for NY and Toronto shows to see label people etc, but also as a bit of a treat from the band for doing such a great job for us. By the time we got back Bruce, Val, Dave and Drew and Nick from the label just headed for a few quiet beers in the hotel bar

I mentioned the arena being cold. We always insist on all AC being turned off and all doors closed to stop draughts. Standing around and singing in a cold draught does Bruce’s vocals no good whatsoever and is very distracting. I know this from standing on the desk in the same cold draught sending messages back stage to close the bloody doors or turn off AC. Time and time again. You can tell there is a serious issue as band are tearing around under all those lights and aren’t even sweating!! This is becoming a perpetual problem with health and safety wankers appearing everywhere to save you poor softies!! Christ – this is metal audience. We don’t need these wankers to save us. We want to SWEAT and have it loud and hot. In places - and certainly not just here - it is now becoming so bloody anaesthetised its pathetic. I don’t know whether some of the promoters don’t really get it, don’t have the control, just don’t really care or some halls are just old and draughty anyway. Health and Safety is raising its over-protective nannying head everywhere so lets watch out.

Anyway on to Friday. Went round to bravado with Val and Dave to go through some US merch stuff then lunch with Bob head of Sanctuary Records here. Then meeting with all main label staff to go thru ongoing album campaign. Went direct from Sanctuary office to EC arena NJ with Kevin our label press officer and Val and Dave. Over the Lincoln bridge and into another traffic jam- this time due to a broken water main. I am really going off staying in NY as l spend all the time sat in jams!!!! Took us some two and a half hours to go about 5 miles!!

The traffic around the whole area was dreadful. Ten minutes before we were due to go on stage there were only 7500 people in the building out of just under 13000 with tickets gone. We decided to hold show 15 minutes to allow for more fans to get there – cost us $3000 in overtime so l hope you late arrivals appreciate it (send something to Clive’s charity as a thanks!!) We couldn’t hold it longer as that wouldn’t be fair on all the people there so hope not too many missed much. Some of my friends who came along arrived after Different World so didn’t miss much and looking at the hall l think most were in after the first couple of songs.

Anyway the gig was SO much better. Promoter John Scher is an old friend. He didn’t want us to play Nassau either. He was right. We did just over 12,000 people here and it looked great but without Nassau it would have been sold out days ago and a really great NY play. l am really pissed off with myself about this – should have followed my instincts. But it was still really good. Good audience. New album went really well and of course the rest brought the house down. Sound l thought was very good – it’s a good hall to play except it was also draughty on stage and on the desk. Took away some of the pleasure for Bruce but rest of band really enjoyed it. Thanks NJ.

Had an interesting chat with Eddie Trunk at the show. Eddie is an old mate of the band and runs shows on Radio Q-104 and has a show on VH1. he said after the Nassau gig he got a load of email and they were split 50-50 between those who were outraged that we played the whole new album and not just the classics and those who thought it was brilliant to play the whole album and that they saw the band in a totally new light as a result of this. Well sorry guys, if you want cabaret and a collection of old songs the same songs every time there are plenty of bands doing this – Maiden just isn’t one of them. We will occasionally do tours featuring classic material like we did last year as it can be fun sometimes. But this is not what this band is about and l wont go on as l know any of you in this online club reading this know this perfectly well and why it is!! I really don’t think this view of just wanting the old stuff exists anywhere else in the world but here and l think that is not down to the fans being any better or worse its just a simple matter of communication. Most communication here is radio and TV and we don’t get any – never have. There are few national magazines and the lead times need to be so long for the distribution that they are hardly current. But the web is gradually changing all this with the speed of info so hopefully things will change and more fans here will be more prepared to hear new materiel and not just Run to the Hills and Trooper!!!

After the gig the label threw us a party at Blackstones on 55 between 2 and 3. Great bar – recommend a visit. Very friendly owners and staff. Place was packed with all of us, label, a few media and retail, friends and fans, some other musos, great mixture. There til 3 or 4 – not sure!! I think everyone really enjoyed it. Good job it was a day off next day – Saturday. Spent day doing nothing – had a walk round central park. Late breakfast, picked up English newspapers at a shop l know, watched Tigers get into World Series beating As, saw some of Mets losing to Cards. I really like baseball and am still a Dodgers fan from the time l lived in LA – it’s a great game once you get to understand some of the nuances. In the evening went to see a band called VOX who are friends of Nickos. Good gig but didn’t hang around as l was knackered – and l just drank water. Showing my age!!! But we have a big night out tonight in Toronto with Dean an old mate who runs EMI Canada and some of his team and all the band. I need to be prepared!!!

Anyway about done – its taken well over an hour to do this so l hope someone out there is reading it!!! Anyway time to get some food then pack and head for airport. I do like NY but hope the traffic improves. Of course like major cities all over the planet…..it wont!!

- Rod

PS.
Just found out on plane from Ian that the hall didn't charge us overtime for going past curfew due to going on later waiting for more fans to get in. So thank you to the arena staff.

The Gauntlet has recently published a review from the New Jersey gig on the 14th, and Bret Marquardt of KNAC reviews the concerts in Boston and Hartford. Read on for the articles...

Boston and Hartford

October 4th & 6th, 2006, two great days in my history with Iron Maiden. I’ve seen the band live now 15 times and these two shows were two of the best I’ve seen. I made the trek from Colorado to Connecticut and Massachusetts in just over 2 days driving by myself and it was well worth it. I got home tired and relieved that I once again got to see the greatest metal band of all time live. I’ve never written reviews before, however with all the crap I’ve heard about Maiden not playing older songs this time out I wanted to give a perspective from someone who really had to make an effort to see the band not just drive to my corner arena.

This is the second time I’ve seen Maiden kick off a US headline tour. The first was 1983 in Casper, Wyoming where the World Piece Tour got started and this show was just as powerful and gave me the same feeling that the band was in total control. Beginning this show with the song “Different World” then continuing to play the rest to the A Matter of Life and Death album I, along with all the true, long time Maiden fans, were thrilled and overjoyed. Forget all the whining about not hearing “Run to the Hills” or “The Trooper” or “Number of the Beast”, or the other songs that have been played dozens of times. This show and this tour are about the new album and I thank the band for having the balls to take that chance. This is probably the only time they’ll ever play most of these songs live and every Maiden fan should be rejoicing. As heavy as the new album is on CD, live that heaviness is translated 100 fold. The opening track, along with “These Colours…”, and “The Longest Day” are Heavy Metal monsters when performed live. In contrast, “Out of the Shadows” has some of the best and most intricate guitar work the band has ever done and “The Legacy” is an epic which can proudly be held up against “Rime of the Ancient Mariner.” Five Maiden classics closed the show and for me I would have rather heard something other than their theme song “Iron Maiden”, maybe “Where Eagles Dare” or “Paschendale” both would have fit in with the theme of the show better and which haven’t been played every tour. “The Evil That Men Do” & “2 Minutes to Midnight” were perfect though and “Fear of the Dark” got the biggest ovation and loudest screams of the evening.

Sound quality in Hartford was actually better than Boston though I sat in relatively the same place for both shows and the band seemed more excited in Hartford than they did in Boston, maybe that was just me though or maybe it was the venue because the crowd both nights really seemed to enjoy the shows. The stage set was the usual work of art for an Iron Maiden show and fit the theme of the night. There are some cool surprises that I don’t want to give away here but the end of the show is as exciting as the beginning and not to be missed.

As I said in the beginning get over not hearing all the songs they played on the Early Days tour last year and enjoy the new album while you chance the chance, there aren’t many tours left before Maiden won’t be around anymore. Besides, it’s no secret that next year the band is bringing the full Powerslave tour out and then all your favorites will be back in the spotlight. If I have a complaint it is that the tour has just too few cities and they didn’t come to Denver this year.

I can’t wait until they release the live CD and DVD from this tour; as good as the new album is having the entire album performed live in front of an audience will only make listening to it more enjoyable.

I’m leaving for LA tomorrow to attend the California show and I’m still holding out hope that after Christmas they will add a few more American dates, especially in Denver. Yeah, I’m selfish that way! Up the Irons and remember that Maiden is more than a few songs that MTV

New Jersey

Many fans were quite disappointed when Iron Maiden announced that they would be playing their new album, “A Matter of Life and Death,” all the way through on their current North American tour. Although it’s a very good album, the ten tracks would replace classics such as “Sanctuary” and “Number of the Beast” from Maiden’s set list. Fortunately for all those who attended the October 13th show at Continental Airlines Arena in New Jersey, Maiden put on such a great show that the absence of certain classics really didn’t matter.

Getting to the arena, there was an obscene amount of traffic, as there always is on Friday nights in the New York/New Jersey area. As a result, not a lot of fans were in the building by 8, when Bullet for My Valentine went on. This turned out to be a good thing, as the British metalcore quartet did nothing to impress. Their main vocalist’s voice is too whiny to be considered anything other than extremely ignoring. The bassist, who did a majority of the screaming, wasn’t terrible, but the harmonized patterns between him and the singer didn’t sound quite right. Instrumentally they weren’t terrible, as both guitarists pulled off a few decent solos, but they really weren’t the right band to open up for the likes of Maiden. Word has it that 3 Inches of Blood are opening up a few of the west coast dates – that would have been more like it!

After about a half hour wait, Iron Maiden entered the stage. From the moment they played the first note of “Different World” to the last of “The Legacy,” they were nothing short of spectacular. The new album does sound pretty good on CD, but it sounded phenomenal when played live. The energy that each of the band members bring to the stage, especially Bruce Dickinson, is really something special. These guys aren’t young, yet they’re not afraid to jump and move around the set, which was fashioned like a battleground, complete with bunkers and other structures to climb on. Highlights of this segment of the show included “Brighter Than a Thousand Suns” and “The Pilgrim,” two of the album’s strongest tracks which sounded even better live. During “The Legacy,” acoustic guitars were brought out that Dave, Adrian, and Janick all played at different points during the song for an added authentic touch.

After finishing up “A Matter of Life and Death,” Maiden launched right into “Fear of the Dark.” While it’s not one of their 80’s classics, it is probably their best and most popular song to have come out after 1990, and the crowd really loved it. Everyone was really into it before, during the new album, but the crowd truly came alive during “Fear of the Dark.” They followed that up with “Iron Maiden,” which included a giant tank-like structure coming to life in the back of the stage, complete with an Eddie puppet sticking his head out and scanning the crowd with binoculars in hand. After this, the band left the stage, but of course they were not finished.

After about five minutes, to ceaseless chants of "MAIDEN, MAIDEN" from the crowd, the band re-emerged and went right into "2 Minutes to Midnight," which was received almost as enthusiastically as “Fear of the Dark.” They followed this with “The Evil that Men Do,” which proved to be the coolest moment of the concert, although not for the song. A gigantic Eddie puppet dressed in battle uniform came out onto the stage during this one, and walked around for a while, “shooting” his rifle at the crowd. He started over on one side next to Janick, and eventually migrated to the other side of the stage next to Dave. As he exited, "Evil" ended and the crowd’s favorite song of the night, “Two Minutes to Midnight” began. Maiden performed exceptionally well on this song off of “Number of the Beast,” with Bruce hitting all the high notes like it was the early 80’s again. It was an amazing closer to an amazing show. Iron Maiden have still got it, and even their new material sounds truly fantastic when played live.

Bruce Dickinson announced at tonight's (October 16th) Toronto show at the Air Canada Centre that the band will tour across Canada next year. "This is the largest crowd we've played to in Toronto in a number of years," Dickinson said happily from the stage. "We will be back to tour Canada next year," he added. Close to 11,000 people witnessed the show - which followed the previous Canadian dates which were sold out in Quebec City, QC (on October 9th) and Montreal, QC (on October 10th).

Ivan said:
11 tisuća u kanadi, i onda neće u hr gdje je zadnji put bilo 20 000 :|
nije problem sto oni nece da dodju, vec je problem sto nema dovoljno blesavog organizatora u HR koji bi riskirao nekoliko stotina tisuca eura da ih dovede ovamo, pogotovo nakon nekoliko debakla zadnjih 2-3 godine

Kad ih cesi i poljaci vise ne mogu platiti onda je iluzorno ocekivati da to mogu hrvatski promotori.

Ma mozes mislit kako je bilo 20 000 ljudi u Velikoj Gorici... Bilo ih je 10, 12 tisuca maksimalno.

Bobo -> Shvatio sam da je Stipe kao pravda, spor ali dostizan. :D

Snake said:
nije problem sto oni nece da dodju, vec je problem sto nema dovoljno blesavog organizatora u HR koji bi riskirao nekoliko stotina tisuca eura da ih dovede ovamo, pogotovo nakon nekoliko debakla zadnjih 2-3 godine

Zapravo samo dva do tri debakla, Zadar nemoj računati jer je to na kraju ispalo kao scenarij za novu sezonu Monty Phytona.
Metlica, i možda dva tri manja koncerta su otkazana. Od toga je pola Primorac a pola nije plaćeno ili je greška organizatora. Sve ostalo je prošlo u redu, pogotovo ove godine.

Gul_Ranek said:
Ma mozes mislit kako je bilo 20 000 ljudi u Velikoj Gorici... Bilo ih je 10, 12 tisuca maksimalno.

Na Radnikov stadion stane od 30 do 35 tisuća ljudi a bio je sasvim solidno popunjen. Do the math.Btw Radnikov stadion je jedan od kandidata za reobnovu za ep di bi mu se dodalo još veće tribine.

Gul_Ranek said:
Shvatio sam da je Stipe kao pravda, spor ali dostizan. :D
Više je ko puž.......samo spor :D :wink:

Back