What's Everybody got against MP3's?????

What's everybody got against MP3's? I really don't understand. Bootlegs are not perfect to begin with, so what does it matter if its an mp3 or not? MP3's take up less space and are listenable.

MP

I think the main difference comes when you think of "Archiving" the shows instead of just listening to them.

Loss of quality through time will result in the bootlegs at the end sounding crap, if they're kept in lossless then everyone can enjoy them the same quality at the end.

Jon gave you main reason why. I just want to add that you lose more quality by converting bootlegs to mp3 then studio albums.

Well, there are some times that the bootleg is gonna sound like crap no matter what format its in, because its done by someone jumping about in the audience and there's lots of noise and stuff you don't want on there anyways. My main prob is I have over 400 Iron Maiden booltegs in mp3 format and some people will not trade with me because of that, and it sometimes really upsets me that they won't. I have lots of rare stuff in bootlegs that will be hard put to find in any format let alone lossless or an audio format that everyone seems to trade. I run a pretty sizeable FTP server and with all the files I have I cannot put the larger lossless files online, it takes up too much space. So I've used mp3 format for the last 3 years and I haven't really noticed a difference in quality or sound since I got them to now. Some bootlegs are really great if they are sound board recordings, but I find that there are quite alot of them that don't sound all that great to begin with. They are a nice thing to have though. :) I guess what really urcks me is some people won't even bother to look at my list when they have absolutely no clue what's on there, and if they don't look at the list they don't know that I ahve quite possibly at least 500-1000 vcds I can trade with them if they want bootlegs in mp3 format. :x I dunno, I guess its just my fate LOL. Thanks guys! :)

MP

MP3 rules!!!!....... lossless formats are for people that have at least 80-100 kbps download connection.... may be BoBo?.... :banana:

I was also thinking what we loose when listening mp3 insted of loosless, becuse usually sound quality in the start is pretty bad already (at least to me). Still if you want to trade only loosless and have them like real CDs is ok. For me to have them in mp3 and so save lots of space is much more important.

I have to admid that in studio album mp3 sounds worst then original, but even then it is bloody difficult to recognize the difference without really paying attention and knowing what to listen. Still "original" bootlegs have always sounded like amateur recordings do.

Still I love them!

I can watch movies in divx, but I choose not to. I can shrink movies and burn them to single DVD, but I choose not to. I want them in full quality. :p :)

Jon said:
Loss of quality through time will result in the bootlegs at the end sounding crap, if they're kept in lossless then everyone can enjoy them the same quality at the end.

Yes , but have you thought of people with dial-up conenction?

TheSeventhOne said:
Yes , but have you thought of people with dial-up conenction?
I wonder how people managed to trade and spread the music before the wonderful thing called Internet was invented :roll:

i personally don't care if i get mp3 or audio. I trade non mp3 sourced material only because it gives me more possibilities for a trade.

Yeah, unfortunately that's the way it is. But I still trade my mp3's because I have a helluvu collection of them. And I trade my VCD's for the audio bootlegs so I can get some of them to trade as well. Trading is trading in my opinon, I'll trade just about any format if I can. But sometimes it gets really frustrating with people treating me like I'm a piece of shit because I have mp3's.....its as if their shit don't stink and that pisses me off. That's why I posted this thread to begin with, I was not a happy camper that day.

MP

Well if record quality isn´t the best even in the beginning, why should you just make it worse by mp3 compression ?. You´ll hear the difference. With good headphones, yes you do :p .
So we could ask, why not to copy your CD´s to tape, its listenable anyway ?

My point is alot of bootlegs sound like shit no matter what format they are in, it has nothing to do with mp3's or real audio. The fact is that bootelgs for the most part when they are recorded they are recorded by someone jumping about and there's lots of crowd noise instead of the band on the boot. Therefore the actual recording in the first place is not top quality to begin with, so to me it makes no difference if its in mp3 or an audio format because its the same either way you go. I just don't appreciate being treated like shit because I have mp3 bootlegs instead of real audio bootlegs. To me the idea is to trade stuff, not to get so techinical that it makes it impossible for someone to trade with you. If it was technical to begin with then every bootleg would be a soundboard recording.

MP

Well I was kinda forced to this "puritanism" when I realized that people around me are not trading mp3-sourced anymore. I don´t want to trade any bootleg with poor quality, and I trade only few times in month, couple bootlegs by time, and I´m into DMM stuff and VCDS. I have ~80 mp3 boots, In my DC++ share. Feel free to download :) .

I'm trading VCD's too through snail mail, and I'm also starting to get real audio bootlegs too and I'll trade them as I do the other stuff. As for the bootlegs you have that you are sharing, that's cool. :) I have about 425 maiden bootlegs in mp3 format. :) I'm sharing 279 of them in soulseek in the Iron Miaden Bootlegs room. :)

MP

Hmm.. I really have nothing against MP3's, or MP3-source -bootlegs, but I have some little thing againts just way too many question marks. This same little thing works with exclamation marks too.

</offtopic>

Jon said:
I think the main difference comes when you think of "Archiving" the shows instead of just listening to them.

I don't quite get you on that. Are you talking about trading lossless in the hub versus trading mp3 in snail mail where people do all kinds of conversions that degrade the quality as it goes back and forth between mp3 and wave? Please dumb this down just a tad for me. :D

As far as I am concerned, if I can't hear the difference, I don't care. Since I don't have state of the art speakers in my car or at home, I have no problem with mp3. I might notice a high-hat missing in a drum beat on occasion (only with studio tracks being turned to mp3), but that's about it.

Huh .... mp3s again. ;)

You have to distinct listening and collecting. I agree with what you said about listening. You need really good speakers to hear difference.

But when it comes to collecting bootlegs it's the matter of principle. Why not getting original if you can get it? With bootlegs from 2000-2004 it's diffcult to get mp3 sourced one, because many people can get them directly from tapers. Except those that are available only as mp3 sourced (El Paso, Detroit, Zagreb, ..).

If you have audio CD made from mp3s that means someone has cheated you. Instead of getting bootleg from other trader he got it from the internet. Probably with gaps. You could download it too. Why wasting CD space when you can have 7-8 bootlegs on it. Why using snail mail when you can easily download it.

Biggest problem is you don't know who made mp3s. You don't know bootleg's original quality. I've talked to AGuyfromNY yesterday about bootleg with a cut at 6 kHz. You can get it only with 40 kbps mp3!?!?!

Back