Talk about future of DC hub

BoBo

Now that we are very popular ;) because of iron-lord's DOD bootlegs we have a problem with people sharing movies, warez, etc. Some of them have dynamic IPs and we can't ban them. Other problem is old one. Maybe only 15 people (from 100+ in hub) is bringing something new to the hub.

One solution is registred users hub only.

Lets just talk about it. I would like to hear your opinions.

I would agree on having registered users only. I'm getting a lot of people downloading off me, but hardly any new shows I haven't already got that I can download myself.

Also there has to be a rule on lossless only! I know its hard on the people without broadband, but there is too many MP3 boots going around.

Maybe time has come to divide this hub into 2 hubs. Current one should run as it is and we can start new one as lossless Iron Maiden hub with registered users only. I would run lossless hub then and someone else would take over current one.

Another question is should mpeg, avi or any other simillar video format be allowed in lossless hub?

BTW DVDs are technicaly lossy too. ;)

i think the split hubs is a great idea. but here's a question: would people then be allowed to convert lossless shows and share them in the mp3 hub?
when you say someone else would run the mp3 hub, do you mean host or just take charge of?

Registration don't look a problem for me....

If you'll make 2 separate hubs, there will be less shows shared for sure...

I prefere only 1

Murder-One

tv_is_drowning said:
i think the split hubs is a great idea. but here's a question: would people then be allowed to convert lossless shows and share them in the mp3 hub?

That is tough questions. We can only stop people from converting shared bootlegs in this hub to mp3. Or at least we can slow down that process allowing access only to the people that we are sure they will not convert lossless to mp3. But mp3 version will come to the surface eventually.

Yes, there is no hearable diffirence (for most of us) between good mp3 and CD quality, but with lossless you are 100% sure that you have accurate version of bootleg. While with mp3 you don't know who made it and what is the quality compared to original.

tv_is_drowning said:
when you say someone else would run the mp3 hub, do you mean host or just take charge of?

Well, hub program is currently on my computer, but that doesn't mean I'm controling it 100%. Power is divided to every person in the hub. Operators only implement those few simple rules and they decide when someone should be kicked or banned. Without people bringing new boots hub would be dead. So everyone is part of hub no matter who is runing it. And it shoud stay like that in future.

I think making a new, more regulated hub for "Gold" members, where each release is announced and kept lossless might be a good idea.

It could be registered users only. OR a share limit for lossless bootlegs only. That might work, because it still keeps everything public.

I can just see a problem where the public hub kinda dies off because the real core people end up trading only in the private one, because its nicer.

I was considering if perhaps using IRC fileservers might be a nice idea for a lossless trading community, but since DC++ supports multiple hubs thats probably the easiest thing for everyone.

I guess at the end of it, it comes down to 1) whether the hub is going to stay at its 100+ user level for a long time 2) whether seperating the community up is a good idea

brx83 said:
If you'll make 2 separate hubs, there will be less shows shared for sure...
Why? I think there would be more lossless bootlegs then in current hub because it would be smaller group, I don't know 20-30 people, and it would be easier to organise it.

I know DC's been done for the high-profile bootlegged bands (the ones who completely agree and offer them from their website, not just allowed them) for quite some time now. Maybe theres some things to be learned to what happened to those communities?

(as far as i know phish and rush bootleg sharing has been going on DC for a long time...)

a gold member hub look like a great idea to me , because no lame asses who share shit , and download the good stuff :)

I guess it basically comes down to whether BoBo has the resources to run two hubs, and enforce the rules for the second hub.

However, two hubs gives a chance for things like early releases to the people who deserve them, so overall it seems like a good idea.

Jon said:
I guess it basically comes down to whether BoBo has the resources to run two hubs, and enforce the rules for the second hub.

Nope. I don't want to run both hubs. One is hard enough controling remotely. We have people that are capable runing hub and keeping hub at same level as current one.

I agree, that it's time to make this hub for registered users only.
But, how to organize it? I want to be "gold member". But what can I do? Write to BoBo? Register on maiden-world WWW?
What do you think about this rule, that member must share new boot once a month (week)?

Said said:
But, how to organize it? I want to be "gold member". But what can I do? Write to BoBo? Register on maiden-world WWW?

Slow down. We are just talking about it for now. :) For sure it will not be some secret-hard-to-get-in-society. LOL

Said said:
What do you think about this rule, that member must share new boot once a month (week)?

We will be a small group and we will know who is sharing new boots. Like we do now. I don't think we need similar rules. First step is hardest. When they do first mail trade it will be much easier.

BoBo said:
For sure it will not be some secret-hard-to-get-in-society. LOL
We will be a small group and we will know who is sharing new boots. Like we do now. I don't think we need similar rules. First step is hardest. When they do first mail trade it will be much easier.
OK. As I say I agree : :D

Iron Maiden Lossless Hub testing period.

hub.maiden-world.com:6666

How will we decide who will get "Goldmember" card?

Back