INTERESTING THINGS ABOUT IRON MAIDEN

- In 1978, a London barman said, after Steve refused to play when he asked, that he'll make sure Maiden never play in London again.

'The Sheriff Of Huddersfield' was kept secret from Rod until after the "Wasted Years" 12" had been released. No-one was to mention it to him, play it to him or even let him see the cover. It was one of the biggest secrets in the music industry at the time. If he'd have found out before the release, he'd have destroyed the singles. A similar thing happened with the release of the "Be Quick Or Be Dead" single six years later.

- From the 1990 Guinness Book Of Records: "Largest PA system: On Aug 20th 1988 at the Castle Donington 'Monsters of Rock' Festival a total of 360 Turbosound cabinets offering a potential 523kW of programme power, formed the largest front-of-house PA. The average Sound Pressure Level at the mixing tower was 118dB, peaking at a maximum of 124dB during Iron Maiden's set. It took five days to set up the system."

- "I've actually got about an hour of it, (Footage from the Ruskin Arms 1979) so it's interesting to watch. The sound's not too bad, considering it was done on a home video. It was filmed by a mate of Dennis's, I think. I've got one copy, which is like gold dust, if I lose that, then that's it. They're good memories. But there was one thing we were upset about. Vic (Vella, early member of road crew) had some black and white stuff from the days when Doug was in the band and we wanted to use that, but his bloody kids had taped over it. I was gutted, he had us pissing up the side of the truck and everything." - Steve Harris

- In 1989, a teenager in Sofia, Bulgaria, released the Dark Avenger virus that destroyed data and contained references to lyrics from metal rock band Iron Maiden, including "Eddy lives ... somewhere in time." and "Only the good die young..."

"I've got audio tapes that go right back from '76, not right from the first gigs, but from the days when we used to play places like the Bridge House. They're a bit dodgy. There's a version of 'Purgatory', which was then called 'Floating' and it had an arrangement that was a bit different. I've also got a tape of my very first band, Gypsy's Kiss, of us at the Cart and Horses. It might have been the first gig we did. There's a song called 'Endless Pit' which later became 'Innocent Exile'. The tapes exist, but I never play 'em to anyone!" - Steve Harris

- On 5th Sepember 1983, Maiden played at Kingswood Music Theatre in Toronto. Rod was in his hotel room the night before and heard on the radio that there was going to be an Italian wine-tasting festival in the park. However, Iron Maiden fans were told to go through the back door and miss out on the chance to use the fun fair beforehand (a benefit which is normally included in the ticket price). Fuming that their fans were being treated as 2nd class citizens (it turned out that Culture Club fans the day before had been allowed to go through the front despite the wine festival being on then, too), Rod got his record company guy out of bed, and by 3am they had tracked down the promoter, who was told in no uncertain terms that if Maiden fans had to go through the back door, the band wouldn't play. Of course, the promoter hastily changed his tune quickly thereafter.

During the No Prayer On The Road tour, the band used to play songs while Bruce was introducing the members. They always played a cheesy tune for Nicko, followed by Laurel & Hardy, then Janick would get The Hornpipe. The band used to play the "Steptoe & Son" (UK comedy show) theme tune during 'Drifter' on the World Piece Tour.

Paul Di'anno used to be fond of telling people he was a North Sea oil rigger, which was of course not true

- The live version of 'Remember Tomorrow' on the "Number Of The Beast" single is actually the 1981 Maiden Japan version with Bruce's voice dubbed over Paul's.

- Martin Birch said once that, during the recording of "The Number Of The Beast" album, he crashed into a bus full of nuns one Sunday on the way to the studio, and that the bill for the repair of his car was £666.66!

- Nicko's first appearance in a Maiden video was as the mad monk in the 'Flight Of Icarus' video, where he wore blue face make up and a cloak.

- The "yo yo yo" part of Drifter is a spoof of The Police's big hit 'Walking On The Moon'.

- Following The Number of the Beast’s triumphant reign at the top of the charts, the NME asked for an interview. The NME was and remains completely anti-rock, so Maiden agreed to do the interview as long as it was solely on their terms, i.e. printed in a strict question and answer format (to stop misquoting and misleading), and that they got the front page. NME eventually reluctantly agreed, and sent forth their most notorious interviewer Paul Morley to interview them (he got pretty drunk during the interview as well). However, Bruce’s and Steve’s responses were far more intelligent than he had expected, so he couldn’t really ‘take them down’ in the interview, and eventually Eddie himself appeared on the front page.

- Nicko jokingly said once that, on the Japanese Heavy Metal Army 12" EP, it says "PRAY ROUD" ("Play Loud") on the cover

- Martin Birch's nickname on the "Seventh Son..." album is "The Disappearing Armchair" because Dave Murray was showing Martin magic tricks in a hotel room late one night, and Martin was getting puzzled by all the tricks, and he suddenly jumped up and went, "I know a good trick, it's called the disappearing armchair trick!" and he threw his chair out of the window of the hotel room-ten storeys up!!!

The Venezuelan cover of the "Maiden Japan" EP shows Eddie holding Paul Di'anno's decapitated head.

- When Iron Maiden were going over the final details of the Donington '88 performance, they decided to play a joke on Maurice Jones, and phone him up and tell him they wanted to hire Concorde to fly over and tip its nose at the concert below. He believed it for a while! What made him think they were serious was when they said the local flight controllers need to know whether it will be flying clockwise or anti clockwise. What made him realise they were joking was when they said, "So who do we make the £74,000 invoice out to?"!

Dave Murray was once fishing in LA, and the police came up to him and looked at him, kicked his bait box over and pinned him to the floor. They said he matched the description of a man who robbed a shop and killed the shopkeeper. They held Dave against the wall, and it took some time before the police realised they'd got the wrong man. By this time, there were helicopters above them, police cars surrounding them and policemen pointing guns. After they'd gone, they'd found the real culprit, and shot him down.

Formula One refused to show the 'Can I Play With Madness' video because the German station thought that it was the band's representation of God. They later showed it, but the band joked to them, "It's not God. It's Rod!"

Iron Maiden's first concert was on the 17th May 1976 at the Cart & Horses pub in London, England

- "As soon as someone else said, 'You're good but you should go more commercial,' or, 'You're good but you should cut your hair,' we just said, 'Oh, all right,' and walked out." - Steve Harris

- At the end of 'Still Life', you can hear Nicko say "Yeah! That was fucking great!"

When the band were recording the "Powerslave" album in the Bahamas, in the summer of 1984, they kept experiencing unexplained incidents in the studio-sudden and inexplicable equipment failure, the breakdown of the air conditioning-which continued to disrupt every time they worked on the title track. When the air conditioning suddenly stopped working, the guys who came in to fix it brought this step-ladder with them, and stood it in the corner of the studio while they worked on the broken a/c system. "The funny thing is," Nicko says, "The minute the step ladder was set up in the room all the rest of the recording equipment suddenly started functioning properly! I know it sounds ridiculous, but that's what happened... and we all started staring at this step ladder and ribbing each other going, 'It must be the step ladder-it's shaped like a pyramid!' I tell you, we didn't let them take that step ladder away for days!"

The talking at the end of 'Black Bart Blues' was out-takes from the "Seventh Son" album, and was added at the end of the track without Nicko's knowledge. When the band played it back to the EMI big shots, Nicko was wondering what was going on, and all the band and the EMI men were cracking up laughing!

For his audition, Janick Gers had to learn 'Iron Maiden', 'Children Of The Damned', and 'The Trooper' in one night.

- The first secret gig by Iron Maiden was on December 23rd 1981, at the Ruskin Arms when the band played as Genghis Khan.

The infamous t-shirt "Powerslave-Now That's What I Call 'Kin Music" was originally created because Powerslave would have got to #1, if it wasn't for a dodgy EMI hits compilation called "Now That's What I Call Music". The band were quite annoyed, so they printed shirts for everyone who worked for EMI saying "Powerslave-Now That's What I Call Fucking Music!"

- "I designed this character with punky hair, and I thought I'll put a corpse in a T-shirt, because I had a picture from the 1960's of this dead American's head stuck on a Vietnamese tank... that's what they said it was... but it may not be true... anyway, I painted this head with punk hair on..." - Derek Riggs talking about the origins of Eddie.

- In 2002, Iron Maiden sold £33,000 worth of merchandise at the first night in Brixton. A record for the venue.

- There are two songs called 'The Wicker Man' - one is from 1997 by Bruce Dickinson, and the other is on Iron Maiden's "Brave New World" album.

-
- When the band recorded their performance at Donington in 1988, the tape was running fast, so the tracks were remastered before being used for B-sides

Most of the albums the band release have messages scratched into the run-out groove part, between the grooves and the label.

- The infamous killing of Eddie at Westfalenhalle, Dortmund, Germany actually went slightly wrong. Before the song Iron Maiden, Dave was supposed to switch to a cheap imitation stratocaster, but got annoyed when he frequently played a chord wrong in another song, so he decided not to switch, and smashed up his favourite, most valuable guitar instead.

- Dave Murray threw his guitar into the crowd at a free festival in Chicago, IL. Of course, he forgot to take his lead out, and hit a guy in the back and it cost $50 to make sure he was okay.

- The first appearance of Nicko in an Iron Maiden video was in 'Number of the Beast', where he fooled around as the "devil."

- At the age of 17, Bruce was expelled from his school for urinating in his headmaster’s dinner.
'Genghis Khan' was a filler written on short notice for the "Killers" album, and was given the working title of 'Jenkin's Barn'.

If Adrian had refused to join Maiden in 1980, the second guitarist Maiden would have asked was Phil Collen, nowadays a Def Leppard fame.

- In 1978, a London barman said, after Steve refused to play when he asked, that he'll make sure Maiden never play in London again.

'Reach Out', 'That Girl' & 'Juanita' were all tracks performed at a secret gig in 1985 as The Entire Population Of Hackney, and were later recorded in the studio by Bruce, Adrian & Nicko. Adrian sang lead vocals on 'Reach Out', and Bruce sang the others.

- The first 100 copies of the Iron Maiden logo were rejected because the 'N' had it's corners shaved into straight lines.

Janick Gers also wrote 'Bring Your Daughter', but wasn't credited.

- 'Mission From 'Arry' is a real argument that was recorded backstage at the Allentown Fairgrounds on 18th August 1983, and was recorded by Bruce. It started when Nicko would do his drum solo after Dave Murray's guitar solo, and Steve was changing the battery in his transmitter However, Steve wasn't ready, so he told the first bloke he saw to go tell Nicko to extend his solo. But this wasn't the drum tech and he stood behind Nicko's drum riser, started shouting to Nicko to get his attention, and eventually caused Nicko to make mistakes in his solo. Nicko went offstage fuming about him, and an short argument took place between him and Steve. Bruce later re-started the argument and recorded it, trying to keep it going for as long as he could. At the end, Steve found the tape recorder, and said "Some cunt's recording this!" Allegedly, there was a big fight about this, which started because Bruce had ideas for the "Powerslave" album on the other side, and Nicko had tried to destroy it. The track was eventually released as 'Mission From 'Arry', written by Harris/McBrain and engineered by Bruce Dickinson!

The band's equipment was stolen in 1978, along with their truck. The band cancelled a few gigs, and placed a desperate advert in a few newspapers around the country. The equipment later turned up in London, and was all there except for two amps, which had been sold.

Rod Smallwood moved to Los Angeles for a while, but had his mushy peas and brown sauce flown-in from a cafe in Huddersfield to LA every morning, and had the English County cricket scores relayed to him wherever he was via his London office every day! The band wrote 'The Sheriff Of Huddersfield' about it. He moved back to London, and the band did a track called 'Bayswater Ain't A Bad Place To Be', which was a 9-minute hidden track on the "Be Quick Or Be Dead" 12" single and CD single.

The "Number Of The Beast" artwork was actually drawn originally for the "Purgatory" single, but the band decided to use the drawing for the NOTB album, and Derek did the other Devil cover on short notice.

Rockhardchick666 said:
good thing he didn't put thos all in their own posts, or else his post count would have surpassed mine.

LOL , this is not everything

Dickinson: Paddy, Austin, Griffin and Kia
Harris: Emma, Lauren, Kerry, Faye, George Stanley and Maisie
Murray: Tasha (13/14 year old Dave's daughter) , Tamar(she was his wife 2000, I have no idea isn't it still) Pauline Murray (No idea who is her)
Smith: Brit, Tash, Dylan and Nathalie
Gers: Sandra, Sian and Dylan, Lois and Boleslaw
McBrain:Rebecca, Nicholas (born: 2:55pm on 4th February 1983) and Justin, Sister Ann

These are maiden familys,
only for the dave family I'm not sure

Bruce Dickinson often ridiculed Blaze Bayley during the Intercity Express Tour 1990, and at one particular gig, Bruce called him a "Stupid dwarf who couldn't play football to save his life"! Blaze used to join the band during 'Bring Your Daughter...To The Slaughter'.

Ivan said:
Blaze in one interview said that someone asked am: ''What school/exam qualifications do they have?
Steve had the only qualification in school. The rest of them had all failed.''
But i aked you Do you know what school Steve has?
Seems that Bruce had a degree in History. :wink:

Seems that Steve was a Draughtsman.

Liberation said:
Bruce Dickinson often ridiculed Blaze Bayley during the Intercity Express Tour 1990, and at one particular gig, Bruce called him a "Stupid dwarf who couldn't play football to save his life"! Blaze used to join the band during 'Bring Your Daughter...To The Slaughter'.

Hahaha. Damn.

best man asked me to come up with a song that was massively inappropriate," he says. "His idea was 'The Lady Is a Tramp,' and I thought that had been done before. So I did a swing version of Iron Maiden's 'Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter.' It went down a storm." - jazz musician Jamie Cullum

Back