I absolutely LOVE the FIGHTBOX section on the IM BB

Arrakis said:
Skunk already said that the main job of that forum is to be the rcipient of those kinda threads....

Main job, well that's all well and good. But what about the bashing that will go on there?

They practically invited the old users (who were banned) to re-join and continue their idiotic ways :|

zgodt said:
I have to say, I think it's an interesting experiment. It's sort of like the harm-reduction approach to drug policy. You accept that no matter how illegal you make heroin, or how harshly you prosecute offenders, some people are still going to shoot up smack. So instead, you find the heroin users, give them clean needles and methadone, and they still get to be high but they don't spread HIV, mug old ladies to pay for their next fix, or die as often from overdoses. The world is a better place.

With the Fightbox, they've accepted that people are going to get into heated political debates and outright flame wars, no matter how many threads they delete or how many bans they impose. So they design a sort of quarantine area into which people may voluntarily go if they are spoiling for an argument, thus relieving the Maiden Talk crowd from their antagonism. And it provides a repository for the more antagonistic threads in Maiden Talk to get shipped to. I honestly think it could work out petty well. But we won't know until we've seen it in action for a little while.

I'm not as optimistic as you are, but I guess only time will tell :)

At first I thought that the fightbox was a good idea but I got completly fed up with it after 2 days. The Mindless American Bashing threads were really starting to piss me off. I had to stay away from the board and I am glad it is down. I hope that it stays down for a while. I just started thinling to myself if all of these people hate my country so much I really dont want to associate with them anyway. Then again I guess anything goes in this new fight section.

Having been on the board since '98 (no, it doesn't make me anything special, just gives me a certain perspective) I've got to say that the Maiden BB has always had its ups and downs, and at the point that they closed the GC it was having a pretty serious down, but in general the BB has gone downhill since the banishment of the GC. The bottom line and reality of the situation to my mind is that no one in their right mind can possibly discuss Maiden and only Maiden all day, so the "Maiden Talk" forum is full of a) idiots and obsessives b) people people who are fairly normal and only browse occasionally and c) people who are fairly normal Maiden fans and bend the rules as much as possible to have an online life outside of Maiden. Having a chat forum does engender certain endless political and social arguments but it also allows a real community to form. There were plenty of people I warred with back in '98, '99, and 2000, but I miss them tremendously now because there is no real social structure anymore - the groupie girlies (some of who do truly love the music, admittedly) flirting with the desperate guys (and I'm a terrible flirter, so don't take that the wrong way) don't count as a community, neither do the guys like me who just post mindless drivel 'cos that's all they can get away with. Where are the friendships and the serious issues? They've gone along with the assholes. That's too high a price IMO. GC forever, baby.

Back