Favourite Album

As with a beauty contest, here are mine in reverse order:

=14th) 'Fear of the Dark' and 'No Prayer for the Dying' - Some good moments in these but overall they are extremely weak by Maiden's standards and I rarely listen to them at all now.

12th) 'Virtual XI' - Some great songs here and I do still listen to it but too many of the songs are painfully repetitive, as though they're just desperately trying to fill in time.

11th) 'Killers' - there isn't really a poor album left now so it gets very difficult. I really like this album but had neither the polish of later albums or the raw edge of the first one so it loses out.

10th) 'Iron Maiden' - It pains me to put this so low as it was my first Maiden album and I love every song with its raw power and attitude. Unfortunately it's up against some very stiff competition.

9th) 'Piece of Mind' - A controversial choice this one but I'm afraid I will never be able to forgive it for including a track as stupendously awful as 'Quest for Fire'. I hate that song so much that it is just too painful to listen to at all now though it has to be said that I love the rest of the album.

8th) 'Powerslave' - God this is getting difficult! This is a great album in every way but compared to many others it just doesn't seem as complete to me.

7th) 'A Matter of Life and Death' - I love this album but there are simply ones I prefer overall. A couple of the tracks rank amongst my favourites but it doesn't seem quite as consistent as some others.

6th) 'Brave New World' - What a fantastic album to come back with! To say this is only 6th is, in some ways, a travesty but it is also a testament to the quality of 5 of their other albums.

5th) 'Dance of Death' - A very complete album this one with no obvious weaknesses. No weak songs at all that I can think of.

4th) 'The X-Factor' - Despite being an album featuring Blaze Bayley I have to say that this one has really grown on me. I hated it when I first heard it but it now strikes me as being an astonishingly brave and innovative approach for Maiden. It seems to hang together almost like the concept album 'Seventh Son' and as a result I only listen to it when I can hear the whole thing uninterrupted.

3rd) 'Somewhere in Time' - What an incredible album and important because it gave us a clue of what was to come in the next album. For me, this album cemented Adrian Smith's place as being essential in the band because 'Wasted Years' and especially 'Stranger in a Strange Land' are the stand ot tracks on the album.

2nd) 'Number of the Beast' - I get the impression that many on this forum aren't as old and decrepid as me but if you weren't around when this album came out, I doubt you can fully comprehend the impact it had. This was a massive leap forward and put them light years ahead of any other Metal act at that time. Sure some of the other albums are better in many ways but judged as a product of its time, it is hard to believe how they managed to come up with something so good, especially as Bruce wasn't writing for them yet and Adrian was still finding his feet.

1st) 'Seventh Son of a Seventh Son' - I rarely listen to this album because I have to listen to it all in one go and I have to listen to it in order. Other albums have stronger track listings, which is perhaps why only one of the songs survives in the modern set, but taken as a whole this was a stupendous achievement. The first time I heard this album I knew I'd listened to something very special indeed. Other albums have stronger anthems, stronger track listings, better covers, better solos etc. but this is still the pinnacle of their musical creativity. Everything that makes Iron Maiden such fantastic musicians is distilled into this one album.

Seriously.....that's a good post Doadman :wink: I have never been able to choose :oops:

Welcome to Maiden World :wink:

triple anawer with explanation:

A triple answer on this

Iron Maiden is the best of the best. But, it is my personal favorite, so I have to say that.
It's just so unique and wonderful to match.

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son is, imo, the best album for the masses. It is the perfect album with no disappointment in any songs.
I think that 7th Son will go down in history as the all-time-best album.

and then there is the mighty
Somewhere In Time. This album takes me to a most wonderful place.
This album is so amazing. It is so hard to place it "after" 'Maiden' and 'Son'.
Everyone, esp Nicko, are top-notch on it.

Sorry that I had a three-way-tie, but, these guys are stunning in what God gifted them with!

notable mentions:
'Dance Of Death'
'Brave New World'
'Piece Of Mind'

wrathchild 84 said:
I can't decide between Iron Maiden or Killers. Also I like Paul Di'anno more than Bruce Dickinson.

...seems we think the same pal. The only difference it that i prefer Iron Maiden and then Killers (needless to say, after that what follows deteriorates the newer it goes).

Favourite Iron Maiden Album....

I'm coming a bit late to this one but here goes.....

It's gotta be POWERSLAVE for me. There isn't a bad song on it. Even Losfer Words (Big 'Orra) grows on you like a venereal itch. As for the riff in 'Back in the Village'; further confirmation, if 'twere needed, that Adrian Smith is a melodic god.

The guitar sounds are so crisp and clean, they fit perfectly with the album cover. Love POM too but the sound was a little thick and clunky for my liking. I mean look at the highlights- Aces, Midnight, Powerslave, Mariner, Flash of the Blade.... all of 'em actually.

Can't take it any more, I'm off to have a listen....

My album ranking (favourite at the top, least favourite at the bottom):

1. A Matter Of Life And Death
2. Dance Of Death
3. Number Of The Beast
4. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
5. Powerslave
6. Brave New World
7. Fear Of The Dark
8. The X Factor
9. Piece Of Mind
10. Somewhere In Time
11. Iron Maiden
12. Virtual X1
13. No Prayer For The Dying
14. Killers

seely said:
My album ranking (favourite at the top, least favourite at the bottom):

1. A Matter Of Life And Death
2. Dance Of Death
3. Number Of The Beast
4. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
5. Powerslave
6. Brave New World
7. Fear Of The Dark
8. The X Factor
9. Piece Of Mind
10. Somewhere In Time
11. Iron Maiden
12. Virtual X1
13. No Prayer For The Dying
14. Killers

NPFTD at the end of favorites as usual :| :|

:x :x :x

Frenchy said:
hey screamy, it seems there's only you and me :|

but you rule my friend :fist:

NPFTD was the first one I got from Maiden and still to this day I'm blown away! :)

Good songs, raw sound & MOTHER RUSSIA!!

:wink: :wink:

1 The Number Of The Beast
2. Powerslave
3. Piece Of Mind
4. Somewhere In Time
5. SSOASS
6. Brave New World
7. Iron Maiden
8. Killers
9. NPFTD
10. FOTD
11. Virtual XI
12 The X Factor
13 AMOLAD
14. DOD

Rip my guts out!!!

'DANCE OF DEATH'

seems to be my most favorite!!!

I can't get over 'Montsegur'.
'New Frontier' is stunningly amazing.
'Age Of Innocence' is blissful.
'Gates Of Tomorrow' is so fun and cool!
'Dance Of Death' is supreme.
'Paschendale' is awesome.
'Journeyman' is very, very nice!
'Rainmaker' is wonderful!
'Wildest Dreams' is perfect.

Only 'Face In The Sand' is not flawless, but it such a neat song! And it is quite unique too. So, it still ranks as a killer song!

So...

'DANCE OF DEATH' is a masterpiece!

Back