can men and women be friends?

Rockhardchick666

okay, on another forum I'm on, theres a guy who was talking about the movie, "When Harry met Sally" he used to think the same theory as this movie, and then when he watched it he really thought about it....... and I'll give you a bit of what he said, and then I'll let you guys go and say what you think about the area. and I might feel obligated to post your ideas on that forum.

Why can't women and men be just friends? Well, there's a scene in When Harry Met Sally where Billy Crystal explains that no man can be friends with a woman because all he really wants is sexual favors. Meg Ryan, typical woman that she is, denies this. I was in Sociology class in high school when I brought up this scene. True to the movie, every woman in the class denied it, stating that they have male friends who are nothing more than friends. Every guy in the room bowed his head and didn't say a word.

Does anyone find that odd? Women deny that men only want to sleep with them. How do they know? Well, the fact is that they don't. Trust me ladies, it's true. There's not a man on Earth who can, in good conscience, deny that the sole reason he's friends with a woman is because somewhere in the back of his mind (or maybe right in the front of his mind) he knows he wants to ride her like a rodeo horse. Oh sure, they'll deny it when you ask them, but that's just to save face and keep you from finding out that the only reason he stomachs the inane conversations with you is because in his brain he's picturing you doing a strip tease, not blabbing endlessly about your ridiculous global warming theory. In other words, men only pretend to be friends with women who they find attractive because that woman represents a sexual object to him. She doesn't represent anything even close to a friend, because men and women are too different to be friends. Men don't want to be friends with women because women are no fun. Their buddy 'Roberto', now he's fun. But women? No way.

You see, men are much more analytical and logical than the admittedly more emotional women. Women see things in a whole spectrum of ways, whereas men see it one of two: yes or no. Things either are or they aren't. So, when we combine the fact that women represent nothing more than sexual conquest to men with their ability to see things either as being or not being, and we can clearly see that the reason men and women can't remain friends after a breakup is: since the chance for sexual contact no longer exists, there's no more reason to have any contact with the woman. He certainly doesn't enjoy her companionship, don't make me laugh. No, he really only talks to her in order to pave the way into the bedroom. Remove that possibility, and you remove his motivation for talking to her at all.

This brings up an interesting side note about jealousy. Women are constantly getting upset about why their boyfriend gets jealous when she talks to another guy. "He's just a friend, what's the big deal" they'll often ask, genuinely puzzled. Well, here's why: since men know that the only reason men talk to women is because they're flirting with them, they know that this "friend" is nothing of the sort but is actually some jerk who's trying to horn in on his territory. Even if she isn't flirting with her "friend," he most certainly is flirting with her. Unfortunately, when asked why he gets so jealous, the man can't explain the truth (that the only reason any man talks to any woman is because he wants to get in her pants), so he has to simply say "I don't know," or something equally stupid.

So there we have it. Don't even think to tell me I'm wrong, because I'm not (I could be haha..). Ever notice how no guy has a fat, ugly female "friend?" Ever notice that really hot chicks have tons of guy "friends?" Ever notice how guys are so much more "friendly" to good looking women (even total strangers) than they are to unnatractive women? Ever wonder why that is? It's because men only pretend to become friends with women because they want to have sex with them. I suppose I can see why women so furiously deny this (even though, again, it's not something which they can deny), since it makes them look bad; however, the evidence is undeniable.

I have 2 or 3 female friends the same as miss rockin has 2 or 3 male
friends. I have never thought about shagging em the same as I have
never thought about miss rockin wantin to shag her friends, and hopefully she hasn't either :roll:
Sometimes they are easier to talk to then my male friends about certain
things as well.
BTW I am not gay either :p

I've not read the first post...will read it later when i've got more time.

One of my best friends is male...I've known him since school and I have never thought about him in "that" way.

btw..He is happily married :)

ewil said:
It's possible, I have many female and male friends...
And I'm not gay

and heres the argument he was making, so with your female friends, you havent ever thought of having sex(with the chicks)(not at the same time as one another)?

Rockhardchick666 said:
and heres the argument he was making, so with your female friends, you havent ever thought of having sex(with the chicks)(not at the same time as one another)?
So I can't be a friend of a woman if I have thought having sex with her (It would never happen, she's a wonderful person, but I couldn't have sex her...) ?

ewil said:
What do you mean genuine? What relationship?

sorry I ment friendship, It wouldn't be genuine because well......you have more in mind than just a friendship...have you ever seen when harry met sally

It depends on whether you ( as an individual) are prepared to accept the consequences of trying to change the status of a relationship from pure platonic friendship to romantic or sexual.

If you try and you fail ( basically the other person, man or woman doesn't feel the same way as you ),even in a situation where both people are very open minded and trusting and understanding, the basis of their initial friendship can never be the same.

Remember.....

A declaration of love, if meant in all honesty, is very much like an arrow shot from a bow.

Once released, it can never be retracted :)

Bockaaarck said:
It depends on whether you ( as an individual) are prepared to accept the consequences of trying to change the status of a relationship from pure platonic friendship to romantic or sexual.

If you try and you fail ( basically the other person, man or woman doesn't feel the same way as you ),even in a situation where both people are very open minded and trusting and understanding, the basis of their initial friendship can never be the same.

Remember.....

A declaration of love, if meant in all honesty, is very much like an arrow shot from a bow.

Once released, it can never be retracted :)

hear hear...........

Rockhardchick666 said:
sorry I ment friendship, It wouldn't be genuine because well......you have more in mind than just a friendship...have you ever seen when harry met sally
Chicks flick... :edbarf: :p
I think every man thinks sex with every woman (if not like reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaallly ugly, stupid and bad behaviored), but it doesn't mean that he really wants to do it, it's just in geen's. Mating isn't optional, it's part of survival.

ewil said:
Chicks flick... :edbarf: :p
I think every man thinks sex with every woman (if not like reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaallly ugly, stupid and bad behaviored), but it doesn't mean that he really wants to do it, it's just in geen's. Mating isn't optional, it's part of survival.

chick flick or not, he does prove a good point, which you kinda accepted right there, you can't help it, but you still would think about it

Back