information, information

The iron objects in King Tut's tomb - dagger, bracelet, and headrest - were made with iron that came from meteorites.

Moon Trees are trees grown from a bunch of seeds that went to the moon and back in 1971. It was an experiment run during the Apollo 14 mission. They ended up with over 400 seedlings but nobody kept track of most of them.

Rockin, your closest known Moon Tree is in Tradate, Italy. There might be some in Switzerland but the locations are unknown. :)

For me, there are 5 of them in Indiana, one state over.

Last edited:
Moon Trees are trees grown from a bunch of seeds that went to the moon and back in 1971. It was an experiment run during the Apollo 14 mission. They ended up with over 400 seedlings but nobody kept track of most of them.

Rockin, your closest known Moon Tree is in Tradate, Italy. There might be some in Switzerland but the locations are unknown. :)

For me, there are 5 of them in Indiana, one state over.

Italy.........

That could be an excuse for me to go to Marinello and pick out my Ferrari I cant afford :)

The Sahara is expanding so a bunch of African countries are growing an enormous forest of drought-resistant trees to hold it back. It's called the Great Green Wall and it will span the entire width of the continent.

greatgreenwall.jpg

Rockin and Wicky, this is near you! There's a campaign called Hedgehog Street and it's about helping hedgehogs to survive.

One of the things they recommend is making a little passageway for them in garden walls. :)

hedgehoghighway.jpg

I don't know if this should go in the art thread instead :B

Takehiro Kishimoto is a Japanese chef who carves intricate patterns into fruits and vegetables.

Some of his work:

kishimotoapple.jpg

kishimotoyuzu.jpg

kishimotozucchini.jpg

The number 6 is generally considered to be lucky in China because 六 sounds like 流 (liú), which means "flow" in Chinese. Many businesses display the number 6 to bring good fortune. Unlike in western culture where 666 is associated with the devil, multiples of 6 is good in Chinese culture. A popular Chinese idiom, 六六大顺 (liù liù dà shùn), means that things will go smoothly.

eddiemetal.gif satan-banana-smiley-emoticon.gifeddiemetal.gif

Pi Day is an annual celebration in the United States and its territories of the mathematical constant π (pi). Pi Day is observed on March 14 (3/14 in the month/day date format) since 3, 1, and 4 are the first three significant digits of π.

Pi Day has been observed in many ways, including eating pie, throwing pies and discussing the significance of the number π, due to a pun based on the words "pi" and "pie" being homophones in English.

I bought a pie. For eating, not throwing. Any discussions about math will be minimal to non-existent. :cool:

A yakhchal is an ancient ice maker/cold storage unit. The ancient Persians built them around the desert and a number of really old ones are still standing. :eek:

The walls are heat resistant and waterproof and they work through a combination of airflow, shade, and subterranean space. A very cool feat of engineering :cool:

Yakchal-In-Iran.jpg

Lake Natron, the most metal of lakes :eek:

It's blood-red from bacteria and algae. The water is extremely saline, alkaline and caustic. Very few animals can live there. :eek:

The shore is littered with the calcified bodies of animals that were unlucky enough to fall in the water. :eek:

lakenatron.jpg

Back