The 'suggest-a-language' Thread

Do you think the new language-specific forums are good?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Since we've been branching out internationally I figure it would be a good time to ask if theres any specific language needs that havent been met yet.

Post here if you have another language you'd like to see a forum for. If the one you were going to suggest has already been posted, please post again anyway, because it gives an idea of how popular certain languages are.

Thanks

TheSeventhOne said:
How about german?

Is there enough of an audience? I'd heard French suggested, and looking at the members list, there are a few other countries that are well represented.

how about chinese?

it could be done eventhough you may haven't got chinese fonts. ppl wpould write like this house bird circle baby big house...........

MaidenMadness said:
how about chinese?

it could be done eventhough you may haven't got chinese fonts. ppl wpould write like this house bird circle baby big house...........

Theres a "Traditional Chinese" pack available, and its only a matter of installing the correct windows character sets. On the other hand, I'm not sure what the uptake would be?

What's wrong with English? Does their english suck so much that they've gotta get the the forum in their own language?

Well, some people's english isn't good and I understand that, but I think where you are gonna have a problem is in the numerous languages that come in here. Soon you'll have everybody bitching at you about why not post their language and what have ya, and it could get to be a pain and its alot of work too on your part, Jon. Why not just have them post a thread in their language so they can understand completely whats going on if they need it. I just think you've opened a BIG can or worms for yourself here and it will get very troublesome for you very quickly. :( Not that I'm against anyone using their own language, that's cool, because I realise that english is NOT an easy language to learn or understand at times. :(

MP

If someone is not able to answer in English, he/she shouldn't visit a board in the English part of the www. There are also boards, for example, in German, in Dutch and so on. I, for myself, prefer the Englsih boards. Yes, I know I do a lot of posts in the German thread of the IMBB, but I do a lot more in the non-German threads.

I guess that the point is not about our bad english. I´ve been studying english for 9 years now and I surely speak english rather than swedish for example, but it´s not the same thing when you talk to the foreigners and to your own people. It´s hard to explain, it´s just easier. And what makes specific-languaged forums so irritating? We finnish Maiden-fans are very thankful that Maiden-World gave us a change to talk about our loved band and other stuff in here in our own language, after our own finnish Maiden-forum was closed down. And maby the best thing is that very many guys from our old forum has found their way here.

well if you ask me english is all round the net so its a nice change to see a place made for communication in my own language

I agree with NightTrain. When you talk with foreigners you think in english and you write in english, but when you talk with people from your country you think in your own language and when you want to write something you have to translate that in your mind. You can't use specific local words that you use in normal everyday conversation when you write in english, because you can't translate it.

Only one thread per country (like on IM BB) is not good idea because you can't talk about everything in just one thread. You have to check every written post, no matter if you are interested in that topic or not.

Its not hard to tell I'm in favour of all the international forums..

Any solid suggestions for new board creation? I'll make some probably today or tomorrow, so knowing whats wanted would help :)

BoBo said:
I agree with NightTrain. When you talk with foreigners you think in english and you write in english, but when you talk with people from your country you think in your own language and when you want to write something you have to translate that in your mind. You can't use specific local words that you use in normal everyday conversation when you write in english, because you can't translate it.

Only one thread per country (like on IM BB) is not good idea because you can't talk about everything in just one thread. You have to check every written post, no matter if you are interested in that topic or not.
You're sure? I can only speak for the German thread which is one of the most active ones if you regard the number of people who regularly posts in there. We are a very small community, otherwise that the Swedes for example. We discuss really everything in this thread, and it is very funny.. sometimes very serious.

It also improves your English when you have to do efforts to write in English. For me it was like that, because I haven't been used to common English the last yers, though I work on translations, but these are technical ones. I wouldn't have registered on an English board if I wouldn't realize I have to speak English there.

The language threads are the cream on the strawberries, but not the main thing for me. This is my personal opinion and should not be taken as an offence by anyone.

I understand that its hard to think in english and translate something, and there's forms of "slang" in everyone's language that you are just not able to translate. I understand that. I'm not really against putting extra forums up with different languages, I deal with people every day that speak different languages and yeah sometimes things get messed up from their language to english and that's completely understandable, its easy to do.

The main thing I was thinking about was that it will be alot of work to get ALL the languages represented and make the top page HUGE! If you are gonna have one seperate language other than english then its really not fair to just offer a couple of languages. If you are gonna offer different languages then you need to offer many of them to cover all basis for people who speak them. There are Iron Maiden fans all over the world who all speak very different languages.

MP

Back