Smoking in public places

MaidenMadness

well lets look what happened over the last few years shall we
ireland banned smoking in pubs, uk banned smoking in pubs, italia banned smoking in public places......even croatia is revising banning smoking in public places
how do you stand on this issue?
i am a smoker. i know that there are ppl that are bothered by smoke. i also know that it is believed that passive smoking is just as dangerous as active one, but latest thing i read was that some scientists claim that passive smoking makes one's lungs believe it or not more resistant to smoke and thus passive smoking is good for health :shock: . the fact is that all scientist work is bullshit cause its all done so it would prove a certain thing and not allow chance for alternatives. if a scientist wants to prove something he will prove it no matter how ridiculous it sounds. now back to original topic a person should be given a right to be free from passive smoking but banning smoking in pubs is not the answer. now the smokers will just go outside and smoke there and people passing by will smoke passivley. so thats not the answer. but there is one thing that everybody forgets. everybody talks about rights of nonsmokers and stuff like that but nobody talks about rights of smokers. we put a lot of money in the goverment bugets and we should be given the right to smoke a fuckin cigarette over a cup of coffee in a pub. they claim that its all for the health of nation and stuff like that but if they care about national health so much why dont they just ban selling and raising tobacco, give away billions of pounds, euros, dollars and other currencies we place in national buget? if you ask me the best way to solve these problems is to make smoking and nonsmoking pubs....or completley prohibit growing and selling tobacco.

MaidenMadness said:
well lets look what happened over the last few years shall we
ireland banned smoking in pubs, uk banned smoking in pubs, italia banned smoking in public places......even croatia is revising banning smoking in public places
how do you stand on this issue?.
I don't smoke, I've smoked couple of years ago and still get a feeling of "mmm..." when I smell some good tobacco thou I know that it tastes like crap and doesn't have any benefits (well not in my life). I think that smoking should be banned in most pubs (not all, there could be some pubs where you can smoke, but that would be impossible to control...) 'cause that would piss off smokers and that way they might consider quitting 'cause it limits their life. But now comes the real problem, you can't discriminate smokers just because they're using legal product. Goverment should stop selling cigs and if some ppl dies to the addiction, die away - we have then a new generation of youngsters coming that can't buy cigs. Or that could only lead to illegal selling of cigs and then they could be filled with more addictive shit to get them sold more... One question (with many sub-questions) in the end: Why in the hell ppl start smoking cigs? Is it just because adults do that and kids copy that behaviour? Why did adults start smoking then? Has it inheritated from the old times when they thought that smoking was good for you?

Prohibition wont work. That's why they use this method, reducing places where people can smoke. Giving pubs option to choose do they want to be smoking or non-smoking place it not good, because they will choose to be smoking areas in 99% cases. That's life.

I'm for banning smoking in closed public places. It's dangerous and bothers non-smokers when sense smoke in the air.

Of course, I'm not smoker. :)

BTW divide your post in parts, so it can be easier to read next time

ewil said:
But now comes the real problem, you can't discriminate smokers just because they're using legal product.

You can buy car, but that doesn't mean you can drive it walking only areas.

You can buy condoms, but you can't use it in public areas (well, you know what I mean :) ).

You can buy plane, but you can't fly whereever you want.

And so on and on .....

BoBo said:
Prohibition wont work. That's why they use this method, reducing places where people can smoke. Giving pubs option to choose do they want to be smoking or non-smoking place it not good, because they will choose to be smoking areas in 99% cases. That's life.

I'm for banning smoking in closed public places. It's dangerous and bothers non-smokers when sense smoke in the air.

Of course, I'm not smoker. :)

BTW divide your post in parts, so it can be easier to read next time
ban smoking in closed public places and what will you get?

smokers will go outside to smoke. that way even more ppl will be exposed to passive smoking, true not in a same ammount as those few in pub were but you know what they say penny by penny - a dollar

that is also not the answer. the thing is that this doest just stop at public places
i read a while ago in newspaper that birmingham city authorities made a law where a person is forbid to smoke in his home while he has visit from someone working for goverment(lets say social worker)

true thats just one isolated example but who gives us any indications that rest won't follow that one isolated example?

MaidenMadness said:
smokers will go outside to smoke. that way even more ppl will be exposed to passive smoking, true not in a same ammount as those few in pub were but you know what they say penny by penny - a dollar

Yes, penny by penny a dollar .... restriction after restriction they will slowly forbid smoking in all public places. :)

MaidenMadness said:
i read a while ago in newspaper that birmingham city authorities made a law where a person is forbid to smoke in his home while he has visit from someone working for goverment(lets say social worker)

That's logical to me. They can't choose do they want to go there or not. If you are a friend you know they will smoke in their house and you can choose what to do. They have to go there as a part of the job.

BoBo said:
You can buy car, but that doesn't mean you can drive it walking only areas.

You can buy condoms, but you can't use it in public areas (well, you know what I mean :) ).

You can buy plane, but you can't fly whereever you want.

And so on and on .....
true....
hmmm... they could make a rule that you can only smoke places like phonebooths... that would work if the fine of not smoking in the booth would be cruesome
EDIT: I am serious :oops:

I'm a smoker and it's very difficult for me to not smoke in pubs or restaurants but i think it can be a good thing and a good reason to stop smoking. 6 years ago I went to San Francisco and in 1999 they were the first to forbid cigarettes in areas. It was strange cause ppl went to smoke out of the restaurants and there were meetings in front of areas in streets :shock: But when you're with a friend non smoker it's strange to let him alone to smoke outside. So I tried to avoid doing it and finally I did it.

I don't know for you but in France, pubs and restaurants use to make special areas in them but it's a heresy cause clim doesn't work enough to erase smoke from non smokers.

I think pubs or restaureants should can choose to be smoker or non smoker. You'll always have enough ppl to go in the one or the other cause many ppl now prefer going in non smoker. (and let the smokers live!!!!)
I think that must be the choice of everyone and not an obligation. In France last year % of smoker reduced of 20 % !!!!!!!

Frenchy said:
I don't know for you but in France, pubs and restaurants use to make special areas in them but it's a heresy cause clim doesn't work enough to erase smoke from non smokers.

haveing a smoking section in an enclosed building, is like a peeing section in a public swimming pool.

EDIT : this was my attempt at making this shit more livley. I wanted to see a little red down here.

hmmm that's a hard topic to debate.

If you forbid smoking in public places, people won't stop smoking, they'll just go elsewhere... Smokers will stay, passive smokers will exist too. So, forbidding that's not the solution, because the goal isn't achieved.

Actually, I think the main problem about this is the thing that the GOAL isn't specified. What do they want actually? :edsmoke:
Forbid smoking in generally? I don't see alternatives.
Stop passive smoking - assuring rights of non-smokers?
What about rights of smokers? They use legal product.

Personaly (non-smoker), I think government should deal with more serious problems, like drugs, violence etc.

They can't forbid smoking. If they do that, what is going to happen with smokers? Will they be stigmatized, banned on North pole, what? That's the only way that can solve the problem of passive smoking. And that ain't the right way.
Forbiding smoking in public areas is, on one hand, breaking smokers rights assured by the Constitution(free choice etc dunno the exact phrase). On the other hand, breaking the rights of non smokers (healthy environment etc)...

So, when they manage to made up their mind, in a way of determinating the goal, then they can talk about prohibitions and things like that. At the moment, they should deal with more significant (and growing) problems.

What's most dangerous is parents who smoke around their children. Children's lungs should not be exposed to that trash. The harshest laws should be reserved for those places.

That brings up a problem, though. By banning smoking in public places, you're essentially forcing people to smoke within their own homes, increasing the danger of second-hand smoke for those closest to the smoker. That's no good. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be another solution at this point.

I'm all for banning smoking on the whole, though if steps to prohibition were taken, they would have to be taken carefully.

I don't believe the prohibition of smoking necessarily discriminates against "smokers," however. Smokers are not a race, and should not be treated as one. They choose to light up that cig. No offense to smokers, of course, and I realize it's difficult to shake that addiction (my father was a smoker) but I have the right to clean air myself.

Look at it this way, when smoking is banned (from a UK point of view at least).
The UK government makes a fantastic amount of revenue from tobacco taxes. When bars and clubs are forced to banish smoking there will be a marked reduction in cigarrettes/tobacco being sold, and I'm damn sure Tony Blair and Co. aren't gonna put themselves out of pocket.
You think petrol is expensive at the moment... you just watch! Booze, fuel, income taxes, it'll be spread across the board until you are paying more than ever. It Sux.
You look at how much shit is kicked out when a jet airliner takes off...and you're moaning at me for smoking half a dozen cigarettes a day LOL give me a break.
I don't agree with forcing a ban. If a place wants to ban smoking it should be up to the owner/landlord.
So there. :p

afraidtoshooteddie said:
Look at it this way, when smoking is banned (from a UK point of view at least).
The UK government makes a fantastic amount of revenue from tobacco taxes. When bars and clubs are forced to banish smoking there will be a marked reduction in cigarrettes/tobacco being sold, and I'm damn sure Tony Blair and Co. aren't gonna put themselves out of pocket.

I'm from the states, and believe you me, tobacco companies are more well-protected here than they are in the UK. States can certainly institute bans in selective areas, but there's no national law governing smoking in public places, and there never will be. I find that to be a horrible problem.

You think petrol is expensive at the moment... you just watch! Booze, fuel, income taxes, it'll be spread across the board until you are paying more than ever. It Sux.

It does, but deal. At least the smokers won't be alone in taking a hit from such a ban.

You look at how much shit is kicked out when a jet airliner takes off...and you're moaning at me for smoking half a dozen cigarettes a day LOL give me a break.

Unfortunately, the health risks of second-hand smoking are sufficiently severe that such "moaning" seems more than reasonable. It may even possibly contribute to breast cancer. Is that a risk you want to take? Frankly, when I have kids, I won't want them to be anywhere near cigarettes.

The UK is way ahead of us in this venue, but at least some states are taking the initiative to restrict smoking.

I agree with Fraidy, if a place wants to ban smoking, it should be upto the towns/citys council.

I'm not a smoker myself, really not into it, the smell on your clothes and in your hair is vile :|

Unfotunatly petrol is super expensive for you old worlders.

For us north americans it's going up, slowly.

But I don't think it would effect petrol by cutting smoking.

I don't know how it works there, but all the money get's put into a big old canadian pot, then redistributed. If we can miss 5 million dollars, I think we're alright cutting smoking.

Back