Satanism in "metalmen"?

ewil

"Those guys listen Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. They are satanists!"
This is one of the sentences you could hear in the radio/TV/on the streets. What I want to know is if that is true. Are we really satanists because in the NOTB Maiden sings about death and hell? Are we satanists because couble of kids listened Judas Priest, smoked pot, drank booze and after that shot themselves? It couldn't be the drugs or the alcohol, it was the music.
Does the music we listen make us satanists?

I want to hear your stories about this, what do you think...? :evil:

When I was 15 years old, my mother saw the front cover of POM and flipped out, called Maiden "satanistic" and took me to a preacher to have the demons exorcised from me.........LITERALLY!!!!! I'm not kidding, she did this! The preacher told her to go mingle with other people while he talked to me and found out that I wasn't satanistic and that I did not need an exorcism! Thank God!

I'm not a satanists because I listen to Maiden and Priest and niether is anyone else for listening to them. That's a choice a person would make without Maiden or Priest influence I think.

On the other hand I don't believe in God or Satan. I believe that there are some things beyond our control.......other people for example.....and some things that are not beyond our control. Its just the way life is. I'm a Wiccan and most wiccan's do believe in god and a goddess, I really choose not to because of some personaly reasons in my life. :-(

MP

MetalPrincess639 said:
When I was 15 years old, my mother saw the front cover of POM and flipped out, called Maiden "satanistic"

the piece of mind cover satanic :? are you sure it was the piece of mind cover she saw? well my mother doesnt care about the music i listen to infact she likes maiden infact she got me into maiden (i am 14)

Oh yeah I'm positve what album cover it was :) I'm not that old LOL. After she read the lyrics though she calmed down and was okay with Maiden.

MP

i didn't find any trace of satanism in iron maiden's music. i never really read judas priest's song lyrics so i can't judge upon them. black sabbath has some satanism in their lyrics so it depends on the band really but overall metal isn't satanistic....and if it was there would be nothing wrong with it cause many ppl have prejudices about satanism

MaidenMadness said:
i didn't find any trace of satanism in iron maiden's music. i never really read judas priest's song lyrics so i can't judge upon them. black sabbath has some satanism in their lyrics so it depends on the band really but overall metal isn't satanistic....and if it was there would be nothing wrong with it cause many ppl have prejudices about satanism

I think there is no more satanism in Priests lyrics than in Maidens, but... When those kids blew there heads of, some people started to search if theres any satanic "hidden messages" in the songs, and (suprise, suprise) they found the sentence: "Take my life" backwards from the song Beyond the Realms of Death, and then came the famous trial about these "messages".. I don't remember how much money they wanted from Priest (6,2million or something..), but Priest won the case.
In a interview K.K Downing (Priest guitarist) said that he couldn't sleep when he heard that they(parents and stuff..) blamed Priest about this terrible suicide..

There's a massive amount of disinformation spread about Maiden and satanism on the net. Heres a sample.

IRON MAIDEN "Number of the Beast"

Some of the lyrics:
666, The number of the Beast
666, The one for you and me

Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden, said in Hit Parader:
"We can play with CONVICTION every night, because we TOTALLY BELIEVE in the music we're performing." (Hit Parader, Feb. 1985, p.6)

Can anyone say "misquoted" ?

...Iron Maiden's, song "The Number of the Beast", in which they direct young people to take the Mark of the Beast: "666 the Number of the Beast/ 666 THE ONE FOR YOU AND ME!"

Again.. slightly odd.

St. Louis Globe Democrat said:
Burt lists heavy metal groups like AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Motley Crue, Blue Oyster Cult and Merciful Fate among the most influential. All have performed music with a Satanic-style message that critics contend is taken literally by many listeners.

To be quite honest, If people take such a stance against Iron Maiden for talking about satan and death, then are they also going to rewrite Shakespeare for its dark themes, or any of the other great arts?. Also I'm pretty sure some of the band were quoted as being against satanism, but I cant find those quotes at the moment

Additionally, these people's logic doesnt make sense, because in SSOAS Maiden cover the complete spectrum of the afterlife, and the satanistic themes are nowhere to be found. But then, as Maiden fans, I'm sure you didnt need reminded of that ;)

My friend thinks that what ever music I listen, it's definetly satanic. But he's a rockabilly jerkoff... :roll:

I don't perceive Maiden as a satanistic band and if I would then I'd stop listening to them, but it is obviously very easy to mistake them for one.
A lot of people just see Eddie or hear a few lines from a song and are instantly convinced that Maiden is a satanic band and the idea that their quick judgement might be wrong just doesn't come to their minds.

What is even more odd though are those satanists who seem to perceive Maiden as a satanistical band or at least claim to do so...

Dare Devil said:
What is even more odd though are those satanists who seem to perceive Maiden as a satanistical band or at least claim to do so...
How is Maiden satanic? I don't get it. Maybe Number of the Beast or something, but it's quite far from satanism, cause satanism, as a philosophy doesn't compherend a concept for god, or satan. It's just natural tendencie that a human being has while born. You yourself are the center of your world and believe.

So, we probably can conclude that Maiden hasn't got any satanic elements, or that is what I think.

And for you all, you should not mix up two very different ideals, as satanism and satan worshipper. They actually have nothing in common.

Thank you, and try to understand.

I really hate these stereotypes. People are talking about the things they don´t know at all. I can only laugh when somebody comes to say that I´m a satanic when I listen Maiden, Priest, Ozzy or whatever. People listening black metal may sometimes be more like satanics, but now I´m talkin about those teenager rebels...listening Dimmu and that kind of stuff (another stereotype). But I guess that real metalmen can´t take these talks about Maiden+satanism seriously. For me it´s STILL just music, altought it´s playing all time growing part in my life.

I have listened Maiden since I was 11 years old and I have never thought Maiden as a satanic band, even though my friends often blamed me for that when I just started listening Maiden. Yes some songs have something to do with satanic subjects but to me they're just another great subjects to make great songs, that's all. And after all it's really stupid to go and judge people for the music they are listening.

escudo said:
Yes some songs have something to do with satanic subjects but to me they're just another great subjects to make great songs, that's all.
Yes, and what the hell does satan got to do with satanism or satanists?

i read some book about satanism in hard rock/heavy metal music. it was written by some religious freak. you wouldn't believe what kind of stuff they do to prove a song warships satan. for instance. in eagles' hotel california, there isn't a single line that mentions satan, or satanism, but its satanistic cause first church of satan in california is set in california street and the picture on lp cover of hotel california is very simmilar to a window in that church. and cause of that its satanistic song. and what is worse ppl believe that shit. iron maiden is mentioned in that book as well. there is a chorus from number of the beast and after that a senatnce said by some im member(didn't tell his name or time when it was said) but that guy said we believe in everything we sing about. and thats why they called iron maiden satanists. there is really no point in getting upset about this shit. just to show how clever is a guy that wrote that book here is a quote from the book "parents if your child listens to bands like black sabbath, iron maiden kiss, acdc you should search his room cause there is a high possibility that your child warships satan and possess satanisic bible" LOL LOL LOL that just show how intelligent ppl can be

But what is satanism? If you don't believe in god and you read "suspicious literature"(such as: H.P.Lovecraft, Necronomicon, occultism and kabbala stuff...) people might think that you are a satanist and burn you at the stake(maybe not in 21.century but still.. :) )
So. What is satanism? If you tattoo a cross upsidedown on your forehead, does it make you a satanist? (or does it make you look goofy LOL )
I think the modern "Satanists" aren't really satanists at all, they just want to shock people with their acts and be "cool"...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but satanism is just a philosophic idea, nothing more. It's not a religion like christianity or buddhism etc. It is just a natural way to think, where yourself is placed in the middle of your life.

You intend to please yourself, and live for yourself. Satanism doesn't compherend other icons for "god" than you. So it doesn't consist any knowledge after death, it only concentrates to your life.

Something like that.

QazKFD said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but satanism is just a philosophic idea, nothing more. It's not a religion like christianity or buddhism etc. It is just a natural way to think, where yourself is placed in the middle of your life.

You intend to please yourself, and live for yourself. Satanism doesn't compherend other icons for "god" than you. So it doesn't consist any knowledge after death, it only concentrates to your life.

Something like that.

Whoa! :shock: Well maybe in that case I really am satanic! LOL

I just thought I was an Athiest. :roll:

Satan............................. :err: .................................Lucifer .................
................. :err: .....................................The Goat of Mendes ...............
...... :err:

There we go, i know these three names at least, so i must worship satan or the devil :D . But hang on a minute :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jesus............................... :err: ....................................Mohammed.......
........................:err: ......................................Bhudda ..........................
............... :err:

Hloy shit :eek: that means i must be a Satan worshiping Christian, Muslim Bhuddist, because i know about them all, so therefore they must all form an important part of my life :shock: I MUST take all of my influences from them, because i happen to know about them, blimey :eek: :eek: :eek:

But i'v just realised this !!!!!!!! :(

Pies................................ :err: ...................................Stella.................
............. :err: ......................................... Ciggies ...................... :err:

Thats even worse !!!!!! I must be a Pie eating,Stella drinking, ciggie smoking Satan worshiping Christian, Muslim, Bhuddist !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, am i in trouble :?

Iron Maiden have written material which covers the subject of the Devil, or Satan. That's a fair comment and no-one can deny that. It is purely material to base a song on, and nothing more. Anyone who reads anything more in to it than that, is in my opinion, a fool, that's the politest way i can describe how i feel. And besides, a lot of Christian Hymns and songs also mention the Devil or Satan. It may be about casting him down, but they still mention him, don't they...........hypocrites

Anyway, there we go :D :banana: :D :banana: :D

Back