Review: Pieces of Stockholm (live in Stockholm May 5th '83)

7thsonof7thson

Intro: you hear a swedish guy trying to calm down the crowd and what he says (im from sweden so i understand swedish) basicaly is "calm down we wont start before everything is in order".

Where Eagles Dare: Good preformance by the band, you can deffinatly hear that they are ready for a great show.

The Trooper: Very well done version of a song that would become one of the absolute fan favourites during the coming years.

Revelations: Well done, crowd loves it.

Flight of Icarus: Good crowd feeling with all the clapping.

Die with your boots on: Tight preformance of a very good song, nice with the crowd singing along to "if you are going to die" part.

22 acacia avenue: A song that already had become a classic. Well preformed and crowd enjoys it.

Number of the beast: one of the absolute fan favourites, everyone is talking along with the voice in the begining.

Still life: a song that i thought would only be good on cd but why even think a thought like that, maiden are the masters of live preformance. even this very special peice of music turned out great.

To Tame a Land: One of the songs i dont understand why they did not play live more often. Well you cant have it all hehe.

guitar solo: only the end is recorded, about 10 seconds rest is unfortunatly cut.

Drum solo: a very impressing solo that dont just show speed but accurasy and technicality.

Phantom of the Opera: Good version of one of their best songs.

Hallowed be thy name: The ultimate fan favourite, great song, great preformance, great joy for the crowd.

Iron Maiden: a old classic that everyone likes.

Run to the hills: another of the absolute favourites. good preformance

Sanctuary: a really old song wich the crowd seam to like. well preformed.

Drifter: ive never been very found of this song but it is indeed the song with the best crowd feeling.

Prowler: A great preformance of a song with one of the best leads ever.

Interview: Bruce talks about that they want to "die with the boots on" they likes horror movies and that they make most songs from books and like that. not very often things like people falling in love. they think it is to sual you can see that everyday on the street. they also talks a bit about what he thinks of the band. it seams like the intreview stops about halfway through wich is very sad.

Overall a good preformance by the band but due to lack of soundquality and the cuts here and there it cant really provide the listening enjoyment that it could do.

Overall

a weak 3 of 5.

I think sound isn´t so weak. After all it was 20 years ago!

Band´s performace is very good, although you didn´t say a word about Bruce, who wasn´t in top form that night due to cold. For example Where Eagles Dare and The Trooper are very different (and interesting) than normally. Bruce clearly didn´t give all his best and was saving his voice. Nice little tidbit in Where Eagles Dare is that Bruce isn´t singing all of the song. I don´t know if there was problems with the mike or something else.

This is one of the best bootlegs from the World Piece tour, if you ask me. There´s some kind of good atmosphere and overall feeling. No wonder Maiden got so popular in Sweden.

Ah, this is my favourite bootleg of all time. I don't know why, but its so damn great! The crowd was just mad!!

Bruce was certainly sick and I believe they cancelled some shows after this gig (hense the holland show in November 83 was rescheduled).

Back