Razni intervjui...

Maiden croatia

Mislim da bi ovakav topic olakšao stvari svima koji neki intervju nađu i žele ga podijeliti sa drugima. Npr Snake, koji je majstor u tome. Dakle, neka ovdje budu svi intervjui.....

Evo link na jedan stari u kojem primjerice možete otkriti kako je Dave fanatik za glazbom Boba Marley-a.

http://www.hardradio.com/metalmama/dickinson.html

EDIT by BoBo: Znaci samo interviewi bez komentara.

Ovo je napisano na maidenfans.com idite pa vidite...

:: 20-August-2006 10:09 pm

MusicMirror.net has released a very interesting audio interview of Bruce talking about the many things Maiden. From the current album to the 2008 tour, Bruce gives a lot of insight and raises the bar of our expectations.

Read more below.
Bruce first talks about the writing and the recording process that have led to 'A Matter of Life and Death', but also goes into more details about his voice performance.

He mentions that 'Brave New World' didn't break into new territory, while 'Dance of Death' did in some regards. Some of it worked, some of it didn't, but it paved the way to 'A Matter of Life and Death' which he's really proud of but will take at least a few weeks for the listener to get into.

It seems that Bruce's record company signed a 3 album deal with him, so it's not the end of his solo career !

Talking about his own music, he even mentions that he might probably create the soundtrack of a movie he's writing the script for. This project will go ahead next January.

After talking diplomatically of Paul Di'Anno (stating that he's making a living the best he can -by singing- and that no one is confused between Maiden with Paul and Maiden with Bruce anyway), he has some interesting thoughts about producers, namely Martin and Kevin.

But what will certainly stir Maiden fans around the world is that Bruce announces that 2008 will be probably the biggest Maiden festival tour ever !
The Powerslave stage set will be rebuilt. And it might even be a bit bigger !

It means that the History DVD part II is coming soon. It will cover 4 albums.

Listen to the whole thing on MP3 or by streaming it (asx. file)

Note: the interview is missing the questions, so don't be surprised.

zbilja dobar intervju

In his only interview for Swedish media in support of Maiden's new album, "A Matter of Life and Death", vocalist Bruce Dickinson talked candidly to Close-Up magazine about last year's Ozzfest and the infamous egg incident.

Immediately after Iron Maiden's triumphant show at Ullevi stadium in Gothenburg on July 9, 2005, Dickison told Kerrang! magazine, "I'd like to go to America and say 'You're very good, but you're not as loud as 56,000 fucking vikings in a football stadium.'" The following week, the band went to America to play at Ozzfest, but the outspoken vocalist didn't have a lot of nice things to say about it...
"It was my usual love/hate relationship with corporate America," says Dickinson. "Ozzfest is a corporate rock event at which they sell the front 10-12 rows to corporate seats and not to kids. Most of the bands pay a lot of money to be on the Ozzfest, they get paid next to nothing. The whole way it's being portrayed as being some kind of altruistic holiday for all the bands is absolute nonsense, it's complete bullshit. Most of the bands are there because they paid to be there. That's the way it's run. We went out and we were like, 'Okay, why aren't there any people down the front?' Well, because it's restricted seating and because they don't have tickets. 'What?!' That's fucked, so we said so. I said so every night. Some fat cunt with greasy hair sat eating his hamburger with 50 seats empty all around him. Where are all the kids? They're held behind the barrier and they can't get any closer, because that's the way the venue is run. That sucks."

Close-Up: Did you expect Sharon Osbourne to take the measures that she took?

Bruce: "No, I think they were extraordinary, weren't they? Childish and uncalled for, and quite dangerous, really, when you consider there could've been a riot among the rest of the audience. Extraordinary! She is obviously completely mad!"

Close-Up: You kept quiet. Weren't you dying to fight back in the press?

Bruce: "There's no purpose of starting a soap opera. I mean, she IS a soap opera. That's what she does, that's what 'The Osbournes' is, that's what this 'X Factor' and all this reality TV bullshit is. IRON MAIDEN is IRON MAIDEN, we don't participate in that kind of crap. We don't do [MTV show] 'Cribs' or the celebrity garbage that is everywhere, that pervades people's lives and they think is important. We don't do 'I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here', 'Big Brother', or any of that shit. So doing any more than stating the facts and let people make up their own mind is just playing to the press. It's just gonna create more crap. There was so much stuff on the Internet, there were so many people who saw exactly what happened. Let the people tell the story, we don't need to say anymore than 'Okay, this is what happened. If you don't believe us, you can find out.'"

Close-Up: An hour ago I was surfing the Net and did a search on Google on "IRON MAIDEN + Sharon Osbourne" and this comment from Blabbermouth came up: "I fucking hate IRON MAIDEN, but fuck Sharon Osbourne." You must've loved the aftermath of the egg incident. All of a sudden everyone, even people that weren't into IRON MAIDEN, were rooting for you.

Bruce: "I see what you mean. I think the key is that this was a collision between two completely different worlds. The world that Sharon lives in is of world of... She goes to fashion shows and her daughter is the new face of whatever it was, some make-up bullshit or something you put on your face. Vogue magazine and all that kind of crap. She's put herself in that world and done that by choice. And lots of people do [that] and they're supermodels. All those people have their picture taken on red carpets and appear in fashion magazines. That's not our world, that's not my world. I don't ever go to places like that. I'd rather have all my teeth pulled out and have nails hammered into my gums than go there, to a fashion show and hang out with supermodels!

"What we do is we are a heavy metal band and what we care about is our fans. That's it. So our strength comes from that simplicity. You know, what do I care if I never appear on reality TV? 'Fucking great, thank you! Can I have it in writing?' But in her world, that's really important. In her world, it's really important what you look like. In her world, facelifts are really important. In my world, I don't give a fuck. I get old and I get wrinkly. Who gives a shit?"

dobar lijepi intervju
:: 31-August-2006 2:58 pm
The Greek edition of the Rock Hard magazine has issued a 60-page special on Iron Maiden, including mutliple reviews of the album by the magazine's staff, a history overview of the band, and much more.

Read on for more information...
Bruce Dickinson Interview

For starters, I’d like to ask how you see “A Matter Of Life And Death”; paraphrasing the title, could we support that it is a matter of life and death for Iron Maiden for this album to go well?

Ah. No, there is no such worry. We are not a band that is pressed to have commercial success; we don’t have that need anymore. Our only need is our unhindered expression through music. Many believe that we must compose music in a specific way because we are who we are. I, therefore, have to say that there is nothing constraining us but the respect to the name and history of this band, as well as to ourselves and to our need to play good music. For these reasons I believe and support with great passion that our new album is not that simple or easy. “A Matter Of Life And Death” is not a simple Iron Maiden album, it is not even a typical one! It’s something more than that in my opinion. It is the best thing we’ve done in many, many years. It is as good as our best albums. And if you keep in mind that “Piece Of Mind” is for me the strongest, most complete and overall best album we’ve ever done, that’s exactly where I place “A Matter Of Life And Death”. On the top! Possibly the best we’ve recorded along with “Piece Of Mind”!! That is my final and clear statement!

You are so passionate. What is it that makes it so special and better than all the others?

“A Matter Of Live And Death” could not have been written if we hadn’t written “Dance Of Death” first, I see it as a progression of the band that recorded “Dance Of Death”, which had some incredibly good moments, like the title track for example but it didn’t have the balance of “A Matter Of Life And Death”, from a musical point of view at least. We were satisfied but we wanted to move on a bit further, to experiment. Here, we found the golden streak in our musical progression as far as our goal was concerned. Which was to avoid repeating ourselves and issuing a typical Maiden album. We wanted to marry our classical sound with more progressive elements, in a direction which portrays a modernized evolution of the band and it’s music. You will notice, once you listen to the album, that is not easy at all to absorb, it is quite intricate in some moments and straightforward metal in others. It is what I was saying earlier, we had absolutely no restraints from creating a more modern, direct metal, which would, nevertheless, portray that we can evolve even further as a band.

Does that mean that you believe that there was a need for you to evolve? To create something different?

Yes, there was a need not to repeat ourselves and not to make an album that sounded like a copy of our previous one. That was our need, as well as not limiting ourselves compositionally. We didn’t stop until we felt that every song was complete in every aspect. I must, however, point out that one realizes all that in retrospect. I realized a lot after the recordings and once I heard the final results. Only then did I see that the band was finally free in its playing, to evolve and express what we are today. You know, when you complete something you don’t realize straight away exactly what that is, when you look at it once its complete and from a distance then you realize what happened, how it happened and why it happened. Today, if I were to speak to you about past efforts of mine or of Maiden’s, it is certain that I would speak to you from a different point of view and in a very different way, from when they first came out.

Do you believe that Maiden stagnated at some point and repeated themselves, resulting in nowadays’ effort to cover some steps of compositional evolution that they lost?

Tough question. Always, and without realizing this, in the spur of your passion you do some things that you later realize were not in the right direction or were a rehash of something you had already done. No band in the world avoids that trap. Today, Maiden don’t have anything to prove to anybody and we don’t look back, only forward.

The progressive elements are evident in the album, do you believe we could be talking about “Somewhere In Time” of 2006?

You are absolutely right, “Somewhere In Time” was a progression, as “A Matter Of Life And Death” is now, a step forward, with progressive elements and a rock feeling in some parts, notice the guitars on “The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg” or in “The Legacy” and you will realize that. Listen carefully to the sound of the drums! You will hear keyboards, synthesized guitars and, in some part of the album, Nicko’s drumming features special effects! The orchestrations are the most worked on we have ever done, very complex, technical but that showcases how much we’ve moved on as a band, the will we had to do something out of the ordinary and the good job that was done by Kevin Shirley.

How difficult was it for you to record the new tracks live in the studio?

We followed that way of recording in the last 3 albums and it wasn’t a difficult thing, especially for “A Matter Of Life And Death”. Kevin allows the band to express itself freely in the studio, to perform together, to experiment, to exchange ideas and to perform as if we were onstage. It wasn’t the easiest thing in the word to perform and at the same time record tracks like “The Legacy”, “Brighter than a thousand suns” or “For The Greater Good Of God” which have complex passages, last long and have multilayered orchestrations. I believe we won the bet with “A Matter Of Life And Death”, since we succeeded in maintaining the power of a live recording, showcasing our power in the best possible way, adding progressive elements to our music and inputting all this in the album. There are, as you see, many reasons for which I believe that what our fans will get to hear in September will be the best today’s Maiden has to offer and possibly the best thing we’ve ever done, along with “Piece Of Mind”!

I am really glad to hear you being so enthusiastic. How did these new elements in your sound, while maintaining your identity, make your performance as a singer easier or harder?

It was truly a challenge to sing the vocals for “A Matter Of Life And Death”. Exactly because I had to combine our traditional ways with something more progressive that exited me as an aspect, it made me face the process and the vocal lines as the ultimate challenge. I was enthusiastic every time Steve or Adrian brought in the melodies and I realized we were doing something harder, more challenging for all of us. That was it! We all worked together in the studio and they let me guide my voice where the songs were taking me. In general, “A Matter Of Life And Death” was the most fruitfully difficult album I have sung on, even though the word “difficult” isn’t representative, the word “challenging” describes it better.

What do you make of the fact that 6 out of the album’s 10 tracks last over 7 minutes? I remember that you didn’t use to like long compositions.

We are not a pop band which has to write songs that last 4 or 5 minutes maximum. We let our compositions guide us and none of the songs that last that much was written to be long or short. When we feel that we have completed a song, then we stop adding things to it. It’s clearly the music itself which goes up to a point and we don’t care if that’s at 5, 10 or 15 minutes. You feel up to which point a song evolves and for no song did we stop to think if it lasts a little or a lot. When we felt that we had nothing more to add to a song and it was complete, Kevin would press “Record” and we’d start playing the song again to put it down on tape. To answer to your last comment, it’s not that I don’t like long songs. I don’t like a song which is based on motifs and recipes of the past, just so that there will be a song like that in the album. On the other hand, I like a song to end when it’s complete, regardless how long it is.

Earlier, you said that “A Matter Of Life And Death” is essentially an experimental album in a sense. Did you stop to think that people will not like it? Don’t you as a band feel pressure, feel that people expect very specific things from you?

In no case. Iron Maiden have not lost their identity, their power, the volume in their sound and as a result no one was worried about people receiving it negatively for a single minute. On the other hand, we never felt the least pressure regarding our musical course. We have the ultimate trust in ourselves and our potentials. There was a lot of enthusiasm, no pressure. I you want, we have the comfort, as Iron Maiden, to make our music exactly as we want it and after all these years we’ve earned that right.

Lyrically, even though we were allowed to see the lyrics only for a short while, basically, we have subjects touching on mythology and war, right?

Yes, something like that. For example, “The Longest Day” deals with the matter of war and terror [my comment: this must be an error, the song Bruce must be referring to is “For The Greater Good Of God”], it has to do with the war atmosphere that is felt throughout the world in the last years. “The Pilgrim”, which’s lyrics are written by Janick, is about the Crusades and the pilgrims of the Holy Land. In general, war is a subject that really concerns me, especially in the last few years it affects me as a lyricist and it troubles me as a human being. It has many dimensions and if you look to find all the outcomes, positive or negative it certainly is a never ending subject. You know, wherever there is a negative element, there is another positive one. It’s the same with war, as cruel as it might sound, it has positive elements that take effect during it’s course or afterwards.

Who is Benjamin Breeg, about whom you sing on “The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg”? Rumors have it that it’s referring to Paul Di’Anno!!

Ha, ha… No!! It can’t be that, there’s no way! Benjamin Breeg is a fictional character Steve made up and nothing more. He may have to solve the mystery himself, since he wrote the lyrics to it! On the other hand, there should always be some mystery there, ha, ha!

Another rumor comes from “Tiempos Violentos”, the most well known Heavy Metal radio show on Rock and Pop Radio, which is broadcasted over almost the entire S. American continent. They mentioned there that right after 2008’s tour, Iron Maiden will break up.

Ha… ha… That’s fiction, I don’t see the reason for that to happen but nothing, after all these years, surprises me anymore. Each one can say what he wants and we can’t stop him. As a result, I will not look into it. It’s a real waste of time, when we have a world tour ahead of us, a new album with such enthusiasm, to waste time on such rumors.

What about a single? Until today (27/06/06), nothing has been announced.

Evidently “The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg” will be the first single. It’s a good choice. It is a 7 minute tune, but we though, we’re not a pop band that needs “easy listening” songs. The said song is very representative of what “A Matter Of Life And Death” is and it will give people a good idea of what’s to follow.

Do you have any bonus songs ready for the singles?

Yes. We have covered songs which we really like. “Hocus Pocus” (Focus), “Tush” (ZZ Top), “Space Truckin’” (Deep Purple), “Angel Of Death” (Thin Lizzy). It’s a small tribute from Iron Maiden to our favorite bands. These songs will be used b-sides on the possible CD singles from the album.

Nicko McBrain and Janick Gers interview

Firstly, I’d like to hear some words from you, Nicko, on “A Matter Of Life And Death”. You don’t give interviews too often and I would be really interested to hear your views, taking into account that you don’t take part in the writing of the songs.

Nicko: Yes, officially I don’t take part, in the sense that I don’t compose music or write lyrics. In the band, though, when somebody comes in with the melodies and we begin to structure a song we all take part equally. Personally, I got into the process of writing “A Matter Of Life And Death” relatively late, that is when the basic parts for the ten songs were already ready but during the process, ideas that were mine got used. As far as the album is concerned, I consider “A Matter Of Life And Death” a masterpiece and the best thing Iron Maiden has ever done!!

Ever???

Nicko: Yes, it’s our best album and if it was to be rivaled by any, those would be “The Number Of The Beast” and “Piece Of Mind”. That doesn’t mean I don’t cherish the rest of our output as a band, not at all, but “A Matter Of Life And Death” is a landmark for the band.

What do you, Janick, have to say on this?

Janick: You always feel great when you’ve created a new album. However, it’s different with “A Matter Of Life And Death”. Personally, I see it as a progressive album, in every sense of the word. That is because it features many elements of progressive music but also because it literally features musical progression for us. These are things that you will realize on the first listen and gradually the listener will discover new things, which were never there before. Basically, with our old albums you had a complete view of them after a while and there were no surprises after that. With this one, no matter how much you listen to it, you will keep discovering things that you hadn’t heard before. That’s what’s magic about “A Matter Of Life And Death” in my opinion.

I understand there’s some enthusiasm, it’s a new album, there is a will for renewal, but how could you persuade your fans that this is your best album?

Nicko: Let me explain and I hope that everybody who reads this interview will understand it. Firstly, I will refer to the level of cooperation with Kevin Shirley. Kevin is, at the moment, the seventh member of this band, he’s not just the producer with whom we’ve been working in our last few albums. He adds to our style a new sense of liveliness and ideas that, possibly, we couldn’t think of. Even concerning our own ideas, he always has something to add so that we avoid things that we may have tried before. But his main input is the freshness that he accomplished to bring out in a studio album and capture it wholly on CD. All the songs were performed live in the studio and what happened was he let us express ourselves freely, to feel, in the room that we were performing, the feeling of being onstage. He made us go back many years and feel once again like a band that plays to enjoy itself. You can take my word for it, that we had lost that the last 10-15 years and, honestly, on “A Matter Of Life And Death” we rediscovered ourselves!

If someone listens carefully to the album, he’ll notice some differences in the sound between some of the songs.

Janick: Correct. That is true and it is that way because each song must have its own aura and style, must have its own sound, which happens for the first time on an Iron Maiden album. The only exception is “These Colours Don’t Run” and “Brighter Than A Thousand Suns”, which are on the same wavelength, heavy with many progressive elements. If you move on to the next one, “The Pilgrim”, you travel back to “Piece Of Mind”! All that is Kevin’s doing.

Surely his contribution is important. But if the band wasn’t in a good state composition-wise or was not in form perormance-wise, what would be the result?

Janick: Whatever production you have, no matter how much the producer feels as a member of the band and even if the band accepts him as an equal member, nothing can go well if, for example, I cannot play the guitar or Bruce cannot sing. Another reason we firmly believe and proclaim that “A Matter Of Life And Death” is a top Iron Maiden album is the performance of each one of us. From the moment we felt the freedom of expression that Nicko described earlier to you, our hands were set free, we didn’t stress ourselves if a solo should sound one way or the other. We didn’t spent hours discussing if the drum rhythm should be faster or slower. Through that, we all delivered to the maximum of our abilities, without that meaning necessarily the most technical of our abilities. Simplicity of expression, no matter how contradictory that might strike you because there are difficult songs in there, prevailed on all levels of our effort. These difficult passages came out that way because they are spontaneous, otherwise I don’t think that we would have pulled them off and we would have found ourselves amidst a musical labyrinth.

Nicko, the drums indeed sound different.

Nicko: It’s because the parts have been put down in real time, live and the album’s style is quite different this time around, that the style of my playing and the sound is different. The songs’ rhythms differ, as well as the orchestrations; the drums couldn’t stay the same, of course. As for their sound, they’re more 70’s I’d say, a bit rougher than usually.

The album’s title doesn’t come from a specific song, like it has been for most of your previous albums. How did that come about?

Janick: Initially we had many titles from which we had to choose. We really thought about “The Legacy”, but searching, we saw that other known bands had issued albums with similar names, so it was rejected. “A Matter Of Life And Death” was Steve’s or Bruce’s idea, I don’t remember exactly but because many of our songs have to do with war lyric wise, we finally decided to give it this title, which sounds dramatic…

Don’t you think that an album which’s most songs last more than 7-8 minutes might possibly tire the listener? Or even that it might be difficult to get it played on the radio on in rock clubs?

Janick: Ha, ha… for us it is a matter of information, because we see our music as an image. The more you look into it, the more you discover elements you don’t see on first sight. We weren’t that interested in getting played in clubs or on the radio, because we know we will! We’ve earned that right and we know that rock stations will play the new Iron Maiden album. But is that our goal? No. We wanted to complete our music and we let no obstacles get in the way. If “A Matter Of Life And Death” lasts about 75 minutes and features ten songs, this is because that’s the way it should be, because that way we felt that we satisfied our inner demand for creation. No one forced “The Pilgrim” to last 5 minutes and “The Legacy” to last 9 minutes upon us. “A Matter Of Life And Death” is a picture you need to examine really carefully or a big book you need time to read and understand.

And what about performing it live onstage?

Nicko: Either way we’ve already performed it live many times, recording it and that is the reason it took us so long to issue a new studio album. So what difference does it make for us to play it live again on the next tour? Surely, there are parts which we worked with in the studio after the live recordings, like some vocal parts, some synth guitars, some keyboards and some peculiar synth sounds that we added, some more complicated mixes of acoustic and electric guitar but lets not get into technicalities. I could explain in detail the way the entry vocals on “Brighter Than A Thousand Suns” are made to sound, in the first and second choruses for example, but we’d get tangled up in details which do not concern the listener that much. Usually, the listener is interested in liking what he will hear on the album and liking what he will hear in concert the same or even more. For better or worse, some technical elements that can be heard in the studio recording can’t be reproduced live or there’s no need for them to be. However, these do not alter the songs’ essence.

However, you have a more artistic approach to your music. Won’t the average listener who listens to Maiden for some direct metal be tired of it?

Janick: Song by song, they have been played in the studio so many times, that I tell you with full awareness, no matter how complicated, how progressive our songs are, there is absolutely no problem of performing them on stage and boring people. As far as their long duration tiring them, I guarantee that the performances will be so energetic that there’s no way anybody is going to get tired. I think everybody knows what craziness we showcase onstage… ha, ha!

Janick, theoretically speaking, you are the newest member of the band and a lot of people, as I imagine you might know, claims that your solos onstage are inferior or “fake”.

Nicko: Ha, ha… Yes, and normally I play bass guitar, but I’ve been fooling everybody all these years! My God! What are these people saying…

Janick: Yes, I know. I’d have to answer to that I think. It’s very justified of you to ask that question, but what would a band like Iron Maiden want me for on stage, if they don’t want me to play guitar?? Ha, ha, ha…

Nicko: Ha, ha! We already have Eddie as a mascot!!! But now that you mention it, you’re uglier than him!!! I’ll suggest it to Steve, ha, ha…

Translated and typed by gor

Here is a full translated transcript of the Steve interview that ran in the latest edition of Metal Hammer Spain:

Q: It is quite sure that the fans might frown and not like the album on the first listen Why is it so dark?

Steve: Everybody has a different way to see things. We have been doing interviews the whole week and some of us went to Japan to do promo last week and everybody has a different idea of what they think this album means. Right now I have been interviewed by 3 Spanish journalists and all of you have found it a ark one. Previously just 2 journalists have mentioned it. However, it really goes on well with the opening track. ‘Different world’ talks about the different perspectives that people see things with. I think that the record has more hope than darkness, with a huge progressive feel. It’s quite epic. We have more long songs than ever and don’t ask me why, as we never plan these things. I usually call the guys…

(Infinite thanks to GhostOfCain for the translation and the typing !)

Q: … and you tell them that you have a lot of songs completely written.

S: Well, I tell them that I will go to see them on the following week (laughs). I tell them that we have to get together to start working on the new album. I think that most of the stuff was written with Adrian on the first day we got together. It’s quite spontaneous and inspired. Then I met Dave and Janick. Bruce wrote the lyrics over my melodies. However, there isn’t a master plan behind each album…

Q: As a writer, do you have fun making people have opposite views on your work? Do you laugh at them, thinking “you losers”?

S: (Laughs) Nothing further from the truth than that. Everybody has a different opinion. It is like reading a book: everybody reads different things, although the book is still the same.

Q: It is certainly a progressive album, although I think it seems intentional, due to the number of repetitions featured in the songs or certain parts of them. Some of them have reminded me to ‘The angel and the gambler’, from “Virtual XI”. The song was pretty good, but the chorus repetition was painful. I have found songs in “A matter of life and death” apparently made last longer for the sake of making a long song. Don’t you think that songs 2 minutes shorter would have been better?

S: You are the first one to mention this. It is a matter of opinion. When we write something we think it is correct the way it is, we do not stop to think is the song is longer or shorter. We have not written long songs in the album for the sake of having long songs.

Q: Do you think that Maiden music can just head into the progressive direction? Why not a change towards something more extreme? To name just a possible example, that is.

S: No, because we did not grow up with Death metal. Hence, it can not influence us. Our musical influences come from the 70s and that is what you can hear in our music. Death metal is out there, but it doesn’t say anything to us when we are writing tunes, as we did not grow up listening to that music.

Q: I was referring to if the progressive path is the only one to follow in your evolution.

S: But we don’t think about it. We don’t think about evolving to one place or another. That’s the reason why the album has songs much more epic, because we haven’t even thought about it.

Q: A great bunch of the album was written with Adrian. I think that 5 songs out of 10 have been co-written with him. In the hypothetical situation where he would leave the band again, how do you think it will affect the sound of the band?

S: I don’t think he’ll leave again, because he did it once and had the chance to come back (laughs). I don’t think he’ll leave for a second time, although you never know! I don’t think it will happen so I don’t see it as a possible problem. I think that in this album, more than in any other, Adrian’s influence is bigger. For the next record I will go first to Janick’s house or Dave’s place (laughs) and so there will be more songs by them in the album. This way round things have worked like I said. We are not a band that writes 20 songs and chooses 10 for the album. We stop when we think we have enough songs to have a new album.

Q: Metallica have worked for a long time with Bob Rock and he became an important part of the band. You have been working with Kevin Shirley in your last 3 albums. Do you think that a change in the production department would benefit the band?

S: No, because we have found what we were looking for. In this album we sound better than we have ever done with Kevin. We feel comfortable with him and we work quite fast. Why change the combination if it works? It would be something to take into consideration if it wasn’t working…

Q: If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

S: Exactly.

Q: The band sounds much more organic than other bands from nowadays. Were you trying to find that sound or do you think that it is the definite Maiden sound?

S: The only thing we have changed in purpose in this occasion is the bass sound. In the last 2 albums I think that I went away from my classical bass sound, due to the presence of 3 guitars. So, we looked back and listened to our early stuff to recover the bass sound of our first four albums. I told this to Kevin and I think it now sounds much better, with more space for the drums. I think that’s the only thing we wanted to intentionally change, the rest came naturally. And I agree that the album sounds much more organic. We do what we do and that’s the result of it. Kevin is really settled now. This is his third album with us. He knows how we all work and knows how to get the best possible sound from this band.

Q: The recording was done mostly live. Am I right?

S: The initial backing tracks were done real fast. The way we have changed things this time is that we have worked with a very lively feel. We worked in the backing tracks of one song, we added all the extra stuff, we mixed it and then off we went to the next song. It was a great way to work.

Q: I read Kevin’s diaries and I have noticed that the album was done really quick, in just 2 months.

S: That’s because it’s Kevin’s third album and it accelerates many things. The writing was done quite fast, so we could work much more time with Nicko. Thus, he knew the songs much better when we entered the studio and we could record the basic tracks quite fast. Moreover, we worked tune by tune. It has not been lethargic. If you spend too much time in the studio you get fed up with everything and the tension and discussions arise. This time we focused on each song and once it was finished, it was time to do another song.

Q: What I heard is the final album?

S: Yes, but it has not been mastered.

Q: I think that Bruce’s voice sounded a bit hidden in some songs, mostly in ‘Different world’ Is it some kind of punishment for not behaving properly in last years Ozzfest?

S: (Laughs) No, nothing like that. It depends on the song. Sometimes the voice needs to be up in the mix and sometimes needs to be mixed slightly hidden. If you put the voice up you lose that big and fat sound that you want to achieve. That’s the reason why his voice might seem hidden in a few songs. But it was done in purpose.

Q: His melody lines are reminiscent of past works in some cases. Especially when he holds the notes at the end of the verses (Harris nods). In the past there have been songs with faster and convoluted vocal lines, like ‘Hallowed be Thy name’.

S: Well, it depends on what the songs needs. In a way it depends on me, not on Bruce, because I wrote the melody lines for this album and the previous one. If you have to blame somebody, I’m the one (laughs). I try to have things sounding in a certain way and I have my own style of writing. Some people like it and some don’t, but what can I do? It’s my style. I don’t analyse it too much. If you listen to an album and analyse it, you can have an opinion different to that of another listener.

Q: Without analysing it deeply, do you think that a casual Maiden teenager fan will find this album easy to listen? It is difficult to digest.

S: I don’t think in that. If I wanted to catch the attention of teenagers I would write material in vein of Bullet for my valentine, with vocal lines more focused to what’s on, but we don’t give a fuck what’s on. We want the young fans, because that’s what makes a band evolve, but we also want the other fans, we want all the fans, old, new and all in between. We don’t write what people want to hear and we have never done it, because people do not know what they want to hear.

Q: Why do you think Maiden have lasted this long? Are you the reason, the other band members or is it everything together?

S: The main reason is what you have mentioned before: we do what we want. If we tried to write for teenagers… First of all, we could not do it, as we are not teenagers anymore. And if we did, we would upset the fans in their thirties. You can’t write what people want to hear. We do what we do and then they have to decide if they like it or not. If they like it, great. If they don’t, tough. That is our attitude and that is why we keep on being relevant. If it wasn’t that way we should do surveys: “OK, what kind of sound do you want for the next album? What songs do we have to write?” (Laughs).

Q: And then give them an ice cream at the end of the survey.

S: That’s it (Laughs).

Q: Now I am going to ask you about another subject, although I do not want to insist much on it: last years Ozzfest. You have always been a professional band that has kept the shit under the carpet and has not discussed their issues in the press. However, it seemed that there were some problems among Bruce and the rest of the band.

S: We are professional musicians and we acted like that. They would have preferred if we had gone away from the stage, I’m sure, but we didn’t. The great thing is that the audience was with us and when the PA sound was cut, they supported us. That made me feel proud and actually gave me goose bumps. It was incredible what happened. It’s not that they threw shit to us, as our own road crew has done too when we ended other tours (laughs), but it’s sad to see people acting that way when they have a problem. If you have a problem, why can’t you be… I was going to say a man, but I’m sure that if a man was involved things would have been different. The issues would have been discussed and that’s it. Done and dusted. But it wasn’t a man who did it, so the acting was completely different and I won’t even try to understand it.

Q: I thought that there was some problem with Bruce, as he was especially vocal in his displeasure with the fat fans sitting in the first rows in the USA.

S: Whenever we go to the USA, Bruce is very vocal in those things because there are things completely wrong in that country. The fans are great and loyal and I feel sorry they understand the message in a wrong way and think that we do not enjoy playing in the USA. The problem is with the venues. They sell the front row tickets to people that do not even care for the band. The real fans are in the 20th row and the people from the front rows have been invited or have the money to get those seats and sit there eating fucking fried chicken. Imagine playing in front of that people. You get really upset!

The problem is that, when you are in the 20th row you can’t always see the reason why we are so pissed, because you don’t see what happens in the front rows. In the future we must play in other places. There are other venues, but not always available. Sometimes you have to play in the venues where these things happen, but we’ll try to get the real fans to the front rows. When we headline in Denver, to say a place, we play in the same venues Ozzfest takes place and the problem is exactly the same. There are assholes in the front rows that do not care for what you are doing. Seriously, it seems that if they had a remote control they would change the TV channel (Laughs). Why do they go to the show? Why are they there? That’s the kind of people that should be at the back. They have their right to be at the show, they have bought their ticket, but I don’t think they should be sitting in the front rows.

We get the feedback from the fans in the first rows more than any other band. We need that contact to enjoy the show. We can be professional players and get on playing, but it shouldn’t be that way. The real fans should be in the front rows.

Q: The problem is that most venues are owned by Clear Channel and one cannot fight against the elements.

S: One can, and we will. We will see what happens.

Q: People do not see what happens in the front rows and think that Bruce is having one of his tantrums. Perhaps due to his reputation, although he’s more mature than 20 years ago.

S: But Bruce has always complained about what happens in the USA, because the problem is not new. If Bruce can’t stand something he has to say it and I feel the same way, although I would say it in a different way. When Bruce complains about MTV he is right, and I’m not referring to The Osbournes. It’s not a show as big as they think it is. I like The Osbournes, I think it’s an amusing show. The problem is that MTV just has reality TV shows and things like that, they don’t care about music. That’s what Bruce is complaining about. They think that when we criticise MTV and all that shit we are criticising The Osbournes. It’s a problem of their ego.

Q: But she [Sharon Osbourne] thought it was personal.

S: Why? Because she has an ego the size of fucking California!

Q: I don’t know Steve, it seems that Sharon Osbourne is a peculiar woman. Those of you who have worked with her might know it better than me.

S: I met her several times over the years and I haven’t had any problem with her before, but what she did wasn’t professional. If she had a problem with somebody, she should have talked with Rod or directly with Bruce. Why did she wait until the end of the tour and did she act that way? If she didn’t like something, she should have stopped it way before. I’ll tell you something. It wasn’t just that. We played a great show on the first night of the tour in Boston and she did not say anything. But on the second show, we went onstage and we had no sound. Nothing was coming from the PA during the first song. I think that it’s highly unprofessional.

Q: Do you think that a possible reason is that in Iron Maiden the singer still sings, instead of stutter or babble?

S: No idea, I don’t know what made her act that way. It’s a shit… We would not do it again. We have headlined in the USA since fucking 1983 and if we did Ozzfest was to try to reach a new generation of fans. It’s difficult to get to them in another way and I think it worked. However, look what happened in the end…

Q: How was to play an extended set because Ozzy could not perform in certain nights?

S: We knew it would happen. We knew he would not be able to do two shows in a row. We knew it could happen.

Q: So it wasn’t a surprise then.

S: No, we were ready for it. We did not have any problem with Ozzy. One of the nights he could not perform, Bruce said some kind words from the stage, wishing him a fast recovery and all the best. Apparently his wife wasn’t listening…

Q: Ozzy is not the problem, his wife is.

S: Oh, I haven’t said anything. I have said too much (Laughs).

Q: Back to the album. There are two songs that have surprised me: ‘For the greater good of God’ and ‘The reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg’. Those are the tunes I find more similar to the material from “Dance of death”. Are they leftovers from the recording sessions of the previous album?

S: No, everything in this album is new. There is just a part of a song where I have used a bass idea from a previous song, but it doesn’t have anything to do with “Dance of death”.

Q: I think that sometimes you try to make room for 3 guitars when the song hasn’t got enough space for 3 guitar solos or multiple harmonies. Do you think the 3 guitars are overused in the band?

S: Not really. In the past we have done twin harmonies with a third rhythm guitar. The three guitars are not the reason behind the length of the songs.

Q: What is the plan for the future? Some years ago you said you were going to tour less, recording albums in the winter and touring in the summer.

S: To be fair, we do not want to do 9 or 10 months tours. We can’t do them physically. If we did those tours, we would risk ourselves to be burnt out and then have some years off. The last tour was 4 months long and when we finished it we were still wanting more, something that it’s really good (laughs)! It means we could return to work faster, instead of touring for 10 months and then have a year off.

The only problem is that we can’t do more than a date in Spain and that we don’t play in Portugal, Greece or Belgium, places where we should play.

Q: But you don’t do 7 dates in the same country, like it happened before in Spain.

S: We are not 20 years old anymore. The problem is that the band gets bigger every year, but we cannot be on tour for nine months, because then…

Q: ... You feel old.

S: It’s not that we would feel old; it’s a matter of quality over quantity. It’s better to do things well. We have to be realistic.

Q: There have been many rumours in the press about the end of Maiden.

S: We can’t go on forever. Now we feel strong. The only reason why we keep going is because nowadays we plan things in a better way. If we kept on doing things like in the old days, we would realize that we could not keep playing.

Q: Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want Maiden to end!

S: Of course, but it’s a typical thing to speculate about. We have to plan things well and then we could keep the band alive longer.

Q: I believe you would do this album tour. Then, another retrospective tour with songs from “Powerslave”, “Somewhere in time” and so on will follow and, finally, a last album and a tour before retirement.

S: We don’t know it yet. We would like to do many things. We would love to do another studio album and we would probably record one. Or perhaps we wouldn’t. We have to be passionate about what we do.

Q: If it wasn’t for the private jets, would you have continued touring?

S: When touring becomes a problem you realize that you don’t want to do it. Now we enjoy touring. Due to our popularity, we should be playing much more shows, but we can’t anymore. Now we play in certain cities one year and in different cities the following. Perhaps people would have to travel to see us live…

Q: It’s what many classical artists do: tours with just 15-20 dates. People go to see them instead of them going to play to wherever the people are.

S: Well, we have been one of the hardest touring bands ever and we have earned our right to tour less. What do people prefer? A nine month tour and then the band breaking up because we could not keep on doing this? I think that’s not the best possible solution…

Q: People should check the World Slavery tour schedule.

S: Unfortunately this is a problem for our younger fans that haven’t seen us live many times. But we can’t do anything about it. We can’t do long tours. Nowadays flights are cheaper and a fan has more chances to catch a plane to see us. I know it’s a problem, but we can’t do anything about it if we want to keep going.

Q: In this way you also avoid to be seen live too many times, as it has happened with Saxon, that play in every European festival year after year.

S: You are completely right. We are going to get loads of shit for not playing in Portugal – especially myself, as I have my second home there – or in Belgium, Greece, Australia and all those other countries. But what can you do? You can’t please everybody.

Geoff Martin of Canada.com recently conducted an interview with Iron Maiden drummer Nicko McBrain. A few excerpts from the chat follow:

On the new CD, "A Matter of Life And Death":

"This album is a step up on everything else we've ever done, in my opinion. I know a few people don't agree with that, but I don't care, you can stuff that up your ass, I don't give a s--t."

On the band's rise since Bruce Dickinson's return to the group:

"Since Bruce has come back, it's gone back like it was in the early '80s, and there's this escalation. In the mid-80s, people said it was the height of our career. Well it was then, but this is the height of our career, really, because we've come full circle, and we're doing it again with the same people we had back in the 80s."

Keep reading for more quotes.

On whether they are surprised by the large crowds they're still able to attract:

"In Scandinavia, there's this new breed that's come out, the next generation, and they've gone wild for the band. And these younger kids, they're discerning, they like the faster stuff, but they've gone back — and I'm going to put ourselves up with LED ZEPPELIN and bands of that ilk, but we're still out there doing it! — and they've gone 'Freak, my old boots, this is class music, this is melody, this is speed, this is great guitar solos.'

"It seems to have just gone ballistic since Bruce came back. It's like when you have a (spat) with the old lady, and sometimes it's good to be away for a while from one another. And then you come back and it's better than it was before.

"Music, and being in a band, it's very much like a love affair. And don't get me wrong when I say this: the sex is the music! The first 10 or 12 years I played in IRON MAIDEN, I saw more of these guys and lived with them more than I did with my family."

On the fact that IRON MAIDEN probably doesn't need new albums as an excuse for a tour:

"We could probably get away with that, but we don't want to. We want to still make new, cutting-edge, progressive, underground music. You can call it heavy metal, but to me we're a hard rock band, and we're really a progressive blues band, to be honest, a bit like (LED) ZEPPELIN were when they came out.

"We are a very selfish band. We don't compromise, and people go, 'Well if you did this or that, you'd have a lot more people come and listen to your band.' We say, well bollocks, we don't want to compromise. If people don't like it the way it is, then we don't particularly want them.

“And our fans and the people who are coming to know this band realize, they look at our merchandise, they look at the way we put our shows together, and they say, 'They care. They're doing it for themselves, but they really do care about us, don't they?'"

On the recording process for "A Matter of Life and Death":

"Normally, (bassist) Steve (Harris) and I have this complete blow-out argument somewhere along the line, whether it's in writing or making the record, but this time 'round we didn't, and it was such a talking point, you know? Steve said, 'Hey, do you realize we haven't had an argument on this record?' Well we still had four B-sides to record, and I said 'Steve 'ang on a minute, we've got another day in the studio yet, that could happen!'"

"Pretty much anything we record, we pride ourselves on being able to actually reproduce it live.

"At the end of the day, the fan that buys that record is very discerning, he's going to go to a live show and he's going to stand in front of the band or the solo artist, whomever it is, and he's going to go ‘hey that doesn't sound very good, that's s--t!,' you know? So at the end of the day you're going to get caught, one way or the other. You can dunk your biscuit in it, and if it don't hold together, it's going to fall all over the cup of tea."

On his conversion to Christianity, which he says happened in 1999:

"The usual question I've been approached with is people coming up to me and going, 'How can you play 'Number of the Beast'?' Well, 'ang on, it's a story. If you look in the Book of Revelation it tells you about all that, all that grief, all that business. And that, by the way, was a song written from a nightmare that Steve had.

"And my opinion is, well look, one of the greatest tricks the Devil ever pulled was making you think he didn't exist, and I can tap people on the shoulder and say, 'I'm not glorifying him — if I was then I wouldn't be Christian.'

"Because I understand, and most Christian people understand, that sin is the Devil's domain, and the ultimate sin is death, but we have a way up, and that's where your faith and your Christianity comes into play. Sometimes I've had an opportunity to talk to people about my faith, and what I feel, and maybe that's the way the good Lord's working with me.

"To still be able to be in such a great band, where people think we're demonic or Satanic, most people that know and have a modicum of sense and intelligence knows that not to be true. It doesn't take an Einstein to listen to the records and listen to the lyrics of the songs to know what's going on.

"Okay, so Eddie's the mascot of the band, right? And he's a… sort of… well, he's a demon, you know! He's whatever you want him to be, you know? I mean, listen here, look at the number of the Beast, here he is, the Devil's the puppet! But you know, we're not glorifying Eddie as being evil. It's just … he's just a cartoon character.

"But people can look at that and say ‘wait a minute, Nick, 'ow can you say you're a Christian, you're playing in a band that's got this kind of stuff going on?'

"But when you become a Christian, you don't become sinless, the idea is to sin less. We're all sinners, we're never going to be clean till the day the good Lord is standing in front and judgment comes, but to me, I try to live my life, I do fall off, and occasionally I fall off hard and I have to get down on my knees and beg forgiveness, so it's not an easy ride, and it's not professed to be either."

On whether he has tried converting any of his fellow band members to his faith:

"We've had some incredibly deep conversations amongst each of us. I can't say to you that I'm trying to convert all these guys in my band to be Christians. I'm leading them on my route, and if they choose to follow what God's plan is in the Bible, that's up to them. I say to them all, you know, look, in my belief, at the moment, if you turn to your saviour Jesus Christ, I'll have eternal life in Heaven with you! … We don't talk about it every time we get together, but we've had some interesting conversations over the years.

"I truly praise the Lord for being able to carry on with this band, and the blessings that we have to be able to make this kind of music, and still go out there and turn young kids' heads and they go 'Crikey, these guys can play! They might be old farts, but listen to that!'"

Jason from our friends at The Gauntlet have recently conducted this interesting interview with Nicko!

The Gauntlet: What is going on?

Nicko: I just finished my work for the day and I’m going to go down to the pub and get blotto’d. I don’t drink anymore, but it is just stress [laughs].

The Gauntlet: The North American leg of the Iron Maiden tour starts next week, are you already in the US?

Nicko: No. We just finished our last rehearsal about an hour and a half ago. Everybody has kind of burrowed off and we are getting ready to head state side to start the tour next week.

The Gauntlet: Will this tour have a big production?

Nicko: Oh yeah, always. Well I shouldn’t say always, there was that stint where we cut back in the 90’s. But this will be a big production. Eddie will be there in full force...

Keep reading for the rest.

The Gauntlet: Iron Maiden has Bullet For My Valentine opening in the US?

Nicko: Yes, we have Bullet For My Valentine opening for us in the States and Trivium for the European dates. I don’t know who will be opening for us for our Japanese dates, but it will probably be Bullet For My Valentine I would imagine. I saw those guys last year and I thought they were pretty good. They were quite interesting. What I like about when we go on tour is that we get these bands out with us that I have no idea what they sound like and it is always exciting to me. I just stand on the side of the stage and have a peak to find out what is going on in the world.

The Gauntlet: Are you familiar with Trivium?

Nicko: As long as the drummer isn’t better looking than me they are alright [laughs].

The Gauntlet: I think you might be in trouble there, all the girls like Travis. He plays with his shirt off and has lots of tattoos.

Nicko: Awww, freaky showoff!

The Gauntlet: The guys in Trivium keep making the drummer add to his kit so the girls can’t see him.

Nicko: That’s what happened with us and why I have such a big drum kit. The boys in the band want to keep me hidden behind it.

The Gauntlet: Why such a small handful of dates in the US and Canada? Canada gave you a #2 album and the US fans delivered the band its first top 10 Billboard debut.

Nicko: It is unbelievable and I gotta say thank you to everybody and the old and new fans. We have to have some new fans. I think what had happened was we decided to do a relatively short tour. The tour was setup before the record was released. We are trying not to second guess that after the album was released. We will just go out and do the three shows in Canada, eight in the US, then five in Japan and the European dates up till Christmas. There is always next year. We never said we are going to do just these eight shows and spend the rest of the time everywhere else. With the success of the album, I think we make some jolly swift across the Atlantic and play some more gigs. The wonderful thing about this band is getting new fans. We have the moms and dads who grew up with us and have all the albums. Then their kids get into us and borrow the album from mom and she tells them to go buy their flippin’ own. We are very blessed to be able to play the live shows with all the stuff we have. A lot of fans want to know why we release so many live albums. It is because the fans want it. Our old albums weren’t digitally made, but we have gone through all that now. A lot of fans also want to know we are still active. So we get something like a little teaser to put out. Our plan is to do a few festivals next year, not too many. Then in 2008, we have plans for another album. As long as the good Lord blesses this band, we’ll put stuff out. So don’t any of you young drummers start sending in auditions to take my gig.

The Gauntlet: No fault of your own, but Iron Maiden owes me a show. I was at the Ozzfest gig in San Bernardino when you were egged and I’d like to see the full set with none of the crap.

Nicko: Oh, you were at San frickin’ Bernardino? That was very disgraceful. You don’t do that to anyone. If the band is professional or not, you just don’t do that. Even if they sound bad, you just pull the plug and say you’re done. There was just no reason for that. I can honestly assure you that you will have a great time. We are very excited and it will be a wonderful show. I haven’t even seen the stage setup yet. When it was setup in England, I was in the US. My friend sent me a stream of it, but I am on dialup and it would have taken me a week to see it.

The Gauntlet: So you don’t know what Eddie will look like this tour?
Nicko: I don’t! I have seen him in the flesh though. I do have new drums that I will be using this tour. I am very excited to finally see it this Sunday.

The Gauntlet: How does it feel to be 23 years and 14 studio albums into the band and still not only going strong, but breaking records and gaining popularity?

Nicko: It’s quite an amazing story mate. It is a blessing and I think that by today’s standards by I think when you have a bit of quality you tend to survive. That is where Iron Maiden has excelled, good quality, good performances and true to the original feelings. That is why the band started when Steve [Harris] formed it back in 1975. We have a lot of energy still and we aren’t just a bunch of old farts. In my opinion, we just made the best record since I have been in the band. That’s 11 studio records for me. I think ‘A Matter of Life and Death’ is the best, that’s my personal feelings.

The Gauntlet: There seems to be a new energy with the band.

Nicko: Yeah, that is true. I put that down to a couple of things. We are like a fine bottle of red wine, we mature with age. We are kinda getting things right. Not to say we didn’t have it right earlier, but back then we were a bit more raunchier and gung ho. We have a bit more maturity now in the playing. Everybody has been playing a lot more now and everybody really has the passion to carry on. I think the standard of excellence has really raised the bar. The writing on this album has really improved. Each time I hear the album, I have a new favorite track. I think right now my favorite is “Lord of Light.” It is still as edgy as everything else and has a lot of progressiveness. There are a lot of breakdowns in the songs on this album and remind me of a lot of the bands I liked and grew up with in the 60’s and 70’s. I think there is a lot of this on various tracks. It was a sublime deal though and we weren’t consciously trying to put some prog-rock here. There are a couple of factors that stand out heads and shoulders above the rest of them.

The Gauntlet: Was anything done differently?

Nicko: We used Kevin Shirley again for this record. It is his 3rd studio album with us. He did Brave New World, and Rock n’ Rio. He was the 7th member of the band and that is very important when you got a guy behind that flippin’ grey spaceship of a desk flipping knobs and making what comes out of the speakers. What I think really set this album apart from all of the others was we wanted to go for more of a live vibe. We have always tried to do this on the albums by getting the tempos out on how we would play them and that sort of thing. We would concentrate on making sure things were right. On this album, we rehearsed it different with the exception of “Longest Day” and “The Pilgrim”. We did “The Pilgrim” after “Longest Day” and we switch the order. The running order was rehearsed as was recorded except for those two tunes. As we rehearsed, we recorded the demos and put it to bed. Rather than the old days when we’d play the first song, then learn the second, play it and learn the third and so on. We didn’t do that. This time we just learned a song, put it on a tape then we have it so we could learn it thoroughly as we were learning the new stuff and that was a nice way of doing stuff. We did it in the studio as it was being rehearsed with the exception of the two songs. Kevin mixed the album as we recorded it which was a totally different way of doing the album. The last two we did with Kevin, we’d sit down after we did the backtracks and Steve and Kevin would then mix the album. That was a big difference right there. This album has a much more live feel to it than anything we have done in the past.

The Gauntlet: It really shows, the album is amazing.

Nicko: I think the guys have surpassed themselves. My approach to this record was much more musical. What I mean by that is I put a lot more thought and effort into what I wanted to play on each track. This album, I was given a lot more space to do that. In the past, whoever wrote the songs would say this is the kind of tuning and drum flow I want. This time I was pretty much given free reign. I just had a lot more freedom in playing and musicality than in the past.

The Gauntlet: I assumed after the “Dance of Death” album you’d contribute a lot more to the writing.

Nicko: So did the guys. When I came over for the rehearsals for this album, I came in three days before we went into the studio. What happened prior to my arrival in London was the guys were getting together with Adrian, Dave and Bruce and sent stuff over to Steve and I didn’t do that. These 10 songs on the album were all written before I arrived. When I arrived, Steve and I were seating in the rehearsal room alone and he said to me ‘We have ten songs already, Adrian has a couple and Bruce has a few. Oh, by the way, do you have anything?’ I said as it happens, I have 1 written and a melody written for another he he said ‘Oh, we have 10 songs ready to go, we have too much material so we’ll leave it for the next one.’ So that’s the reason I don’t have anything on this album, not because I didn’t get off my fat ass and do something which is quite unusual. We didn’t get to my songs or the ones the rest of the guys had brought in. We had these ten songs that were such strong songs. This is the longest Maiden album to date. People were asking why we wrote so many bloody long songs. We don’t. Those aren’t long for us. It is just the way it is for us. We don’t consciously think about a song is too long and we need to chop two minutes off to get a song on the radio. We aren’t played on the radio so we don’t need to compromise. A couple months ago we released ‘The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg’ and it doesn’t qualify for a single chart position as it is seven minutes long. Our manager said we are still going to release it even though we wouldn’t get chart position. It isn’t about chart position or anything commercial; it is about quality and song strength. Our label was fine with that too. They know we do things without compromise and if we don’t get our way we’ll bully them into submission.

The Gauntlet: At this point I think Iron Maiden deserves to push its weight around a bit.

Nicko: Please don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to sound conceeded as it is not meant to be like that. We have had the opportunity to be in that fortunate position because we have been around so long and we make the records we do. We have been able to stick to our guns and we have been very fortunate. Today a lot of the young bands still have to maybe do the compromise, well not maybe, they do. They do have to make certain sacrifices a lot of the time. 95% of the time when you do break through, you do get your artistic license.

The Gauntlet: The lyrical content on “A Matter of Life and Death” flows together and tells a story, but I have heard you state that this isn’t a concept album.

Nicko: You are right Jason. That is interesting though. My take on whether it is a concept album is from the musical point of view. I never think of an album as a lyrical concept album. It is a life experience record. You might not have been around when the atom bomb was built, but it is a life experience because it effects us all today. “The Longest Day” was a battle. There was a young man going into hell with all the bullets and crap in this D-day invasion with a Normandy landing. We know how all these troops went in like in [Saving] Private Ryan. There really wasn’t any preconception to this. As we rehearsed the songs, we rehearsed the songs in order but on the album we flipped two of the songs around to make it flow better musically. This is why I think it is more of a conceptual album musically. I can honestly assure you that it is not lyrically a concept album. It certainly does have a wonderful fluidity to it and has a artistry to it. The silent parts have this artistry to them. They way Kevin [Shirley] sat with Steve [Harris] and worked out the little gaps between each song. The silence is so much a part of the song and the actual music to me. I am very excited about it. It wasn’t actually set out like that.

The Gauntlet: I understand you recently recorded a few cover songs.

Nicko: We did. We always record cover songs. We used to call them B-Sides as we’d stick them on the 2nd side of the record with the extra tracks. But we did a bunch of covers and we had such a good time doing them as well.

The Gauntlet: You actually sang on the cover song to Focus’ “Hocus Pocus”, how was that?

Nicko: [laughs] No, I didn’t sing. You can’t call that singing mate. That was actually horrible singing what I did. They actually had me do the breakdown and yodeling. When I hear it I cringe. Everyone gets a laugh out of it. We didn’t even dub the guitar.

The Gauntlet: Focus is famous for singing in falsetto. Did you attempt the higher range?

Nicko: No, no. [laughs] [Nicko then lets me hear his falsetto and I see what he is talking about] I didn’t do that. Absolutely not.

The Gauntlet: What do you attribute the bands relatively stable lineup to?

Nicko: You get a fine tuned car. If it is not busted, you don’t need to fix it. When it does, you might have to replace parts to fix it. We have been together for eight years in this format. We have this fantastic and stable unit where everyone is excited. We are still like little kids. I think that when you have the passion and the true motives why you play an instrument and why you play in a band, you can’t lose that. The realities of finance and fame are what destroy the bands. So many bands today are just bands for this reason and they don’t have that passion. I attribute it to that we still love what we are doing and we are selfish people. We are selfish when it comes down to what we do together and the way we do it.

Steve Harris Returns For Another Star Role On Iron Maiden’s Latest, A Matter Of Life & Death<
Command Performance

By Brian Fox | 26 September, 2006

Examine the piercing stare of the 49-year-old professional on the facing page—thoughtful, brooding, and serious. Now turn the page and check out the maniacal pose of that Spandex-clad heavy-metal god. Quite an act, you might say. Which one is real? Both. The man behind them: Steve Harris.

Witness the intensity of Harris in either mode, and you’ll know he’s the real deal. Somehow both no-nonsense bloke and consummate showman, Harris has become a master of role-play in his 30 years living heavy metal. Bassist, lyricist, businessman, rock star, athlete, and family man—Steve is all these and more. Of course, Harris is known mostly for one especially grand role: father of metal’s most beloved group Iron Maiden.

Maiden’s shocking imagery and savage, aggressive sound was revolutionary in the early days of metal. Combining hard rock’s raw brutality with progressive rock’s technical agility, Maiden codified its own style in the 1980s, earning diehard fans. From 1981 through 1983, singer Paul D’Anno was the public voice of Maiden, but frontman Bruce Dickinson’s arrival with 1983’s Number of the Beast marked a big shift for the band, and its fan base began to multiply. For the last two decades, Iron Maiden has remained one of the busiest—and most celebrated—acts in hard rock, banging out heavy-metal anthems like “Run to the Hills,” “The Number of the Beast,” “Aces High,” and “Wasted Years.” From the start, Steve has been the strongest creative force in the band, which for the last few albums has included Dickinson, drummer Nicko McBrain, and guitarists Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, and Janick Gers.

With its acrobatic bass lines, twin guitar leads, majestic vocals, and epic compositions, the new release A Matter of Life & Death is classic Maiden. But calling it a return to roots misses the point. Rather, it is a portrait of a freshly focused band. Slower and moodier than past albums, the new material shows that after nearly three decades, Maiden is still delivering original new music—not to mention spectacular live shows—to rabid fans. Indeed, Maiden is at its finest when staging colossal live shows; put on any live Maiden record and you’ll hear why. Nowadays the band performs mostly at European festivals, but this month it’s treating American audiences to a unique glimpse of A Matter of Life & Death.

Among bassists, Harris has distinguished himself as one of rock’s most intense performers, ably contributing to our technical playbook. His agile fingerstyle galloping (see music, page 40), swift melodic runs, and multi-part compositions have inspired legions of players to improve their game. Steve himself is quick to point out that he is no bass hero—in his mind, he simply plays his part. But in a genre rife with bland eighth-note pounding and rote pentatonic riffs, Harris has always pushed beyond the conventions of rock bass. His live and studio lines have all the momentum, focus, and intensity of a well-paced lay-up or an Oscar-winning performance.

Performance aside, Harris is a living example of the vision required to make it in music. From the beginning, his single-minded drive has powered Maiden. In fact, Steve has accomplished much in his life by being a strong leader and a determined (some would say “stubborn”) visionary.

Does this record sound different compared to your last few?

Definitely. We returned to my old bass sound. With the last couple of albums—especially with three guitarists—we had to step back from having that wiry bass tone. We were recently mixing some old live stuff and I realized, Well, that’s my sound. Plus, it fits with what we’re doing musically now, where we’re more clearly influenced by progressive rock.

The new record sounds slower than your last.

Yeah, we slowed songs down to make them sound heavier. But getting Nicko to play slower isn’t the easiest thing in the world. Sometimes we have to rein him back a little! [Laughs.]

What’s it like playing with Nicko?

Fantastic—he’s mad as a box of frogs, which is exactly what you’d want from a drummer. Playing with him is never boring.

What are some of your favorite lines to perform?

“Hallowed Be Thy Name” [from The Number of the Beast] is always fun because it has those big, ominous, low E sounds in the beginning. A lot of our songs are in E because some things just sound best there. If you try certain riffs in other keys, they just don’t have the right vibe. Some songs are fun to play because they are technical, and other songs are fun because I don’t have to think about them; I can just let myself go.

Do you play much in your down-time?

I mess around when I feel like it, but not every day. Even when I was learning to play, I thought it was better if I didn’t play every day. Instead of trying to force myself, I just play when I feel like it.

Explain your right-hand technique.

I play with two fingers, except when I want to play a chord; then I splay out all of my right-hand fingers like a fan. I find myself doing more chordal playing these days. I like the heaviness of it.

It sounds like you’re playing with a pick on a couple of the new tracks.

No, that’s me playing with my fingernails. I keep the nails on my index and middle fingers just a bit longer.

Was speed important to you when you first started playing?

No. I didn’t think it out like that. It just evolved. People tell me that I invented that rhythmic gallop, but I’m sure it was around before I was. I just brought it more to the fore. In the case of “The Trooper” [Piece of Mind], that’s what the song needed, since the song is about Alfred, Lord Tennyson’s “Charge of the Light Brigade.”

You’re one of the few rock bassists to play flatwound strings.

In the early days, I tried every string there was. Most of them got too screechy when I played slow. That, or they sounded dead. But once I tried flatwounds, I knew they were the right fit.

At one point, Rotosound was about to delete its flatwound line. I decided to do the signature flatwound series with them just so they’d keep making them! The only problem I face now is that I sweat so much the strings start to lose the highs by the end of each gig. I want to keep them sounding wiry.

I’m really not into the technical side of things, and I don’t mess with my sound too much. I’ve tried other basses, other rigs, and God knows what else. You name it, I’ve tried it. But this rig has been good to me for almost 30 years [see gear, page 34]. I may not sound very adventurous, but I don’t really care about being adventurous. It’s my sound.

A lot of people ask me about it. I’ve had people play through my rig, and it just sounds different. Even my bass tech [Michael Kenney] sounds very different through my rig. A big part of your sound is simply the way you play.

Who were the players you most admired when you were young?

Loads of them. I’m more into songs than players, but I’d say John Entwistle [the Who], Chris Squire [Yes], Martin Turner [Wishbone Ash], Rinus Garritsen [Golden Earring], and Andy Fraser [Free]. Those guys are all very different, and I picked up little bits and pieces from all of them. I didn’t try to sound like them; I just wanted to play the songs I liked.

What kinds of music do you listen to?

I grew up loving the big, cinematic sound of progressive rock. I think you can hear that influence more than ever on this new record. Still, I consciously keep away from listening to music when I’m writing or recording, because I don’t want any subliminal stuff to seep in. I find it’s better just to keep away. It can pull you in a direction you might not want to go. Once the record is done, I can go out and listen again.

Tell me a little about the writing process for this record.

Normally we allow ourselves three weeks for writing and three weeks for rehearsal, but this time we had everything prepared in about a week-and-a-half. We track live, so we did a lot of rehearsing before we went in. Since we worked on one song at a time, we were able to pin down the parts really well.

Are you always in writing mode?

I get ideas at various times and just put things down whenever. I find it quite traumatic when we actually get into a writing period. There’s just so much pressure to come up with good stuff. These days I get more input from the rest of the guys, which is great. The tunes then go in different directions, so it’s good all around.

What do you need in order to write?

Just a place where I can have peace and quiet. I write all of it on bass—usually acoustic bass guitar. Then we all get together and write acoustically—the old fashioned way, I suppose. If someone’s got a basic idea, I’ll come up with a vocal or guitar melody.

With the new batch of material, what are you most excited to play live?

There’s lots of interesting stuff happening on this record. The one I’m really looking forward to is “The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg,” because it’s much more riffy than songs we’ve done in recent years. Technically, it’s not very difficult to play. It just has a deep, heavy riff.

What’s your stage volume like?

It has to be pretty loud to cut through those three guitars. But I’ve actually cut back a lot; it’s not as loud as it used to be. All I’ll have in the monitors is a bit of kick, snare, and toms. And there are points in the set when I’ll come back to my little space onstage next to my amp. I like having my own pocket of sound. That’s what’s good about using 4x12s—they’re very directional, and they have good clarity at close range.

You need to have a lot of stamina to play a full set of your tunes.

Yeah, mostly general physical stamina rather than finger stamina. I do lots of running. But musically, you’ve got be careful not to over-rehearse, because you need to keep that element of danger when you play.

Do you do any particular preparation on the day of the show?

No—we show up as late as possible, get changed, and go on. We haven’t done soundchecks in years. We do one soundcheck at the beginning of the tour and one later in the tour if there’s any problems.

But you do psyche yourself up into a frenzy before you go on; I’ll do a few exercises just to loosen up. If anything, I think hanging around too long messes you up. If you’re off doing something completely different—being a tourist or whatever—it’s more spontaneous when you get there and go on. The worst thing you can do is sleep during the afternoon before a gig. I find it much better if I play a round of tennis or some football or something on the day of the show. Then I’m much more fired up.

Do you ever get yourself into tight spots live, if you’re playing a difficult line and the tempo starts to pick up?

Nine times out of ten, I can deal with it. I actually find it easier to play fast.

Are long, epic tunes harder to pull off live?

No. The challenge is just remembering where things come in the song.

What are some of the things you’ve learned about putting on great live shows?

We like to hit people quite hard and fast in the first few songs. That also gives more leeway for the soundman to get things in order. You can’t play anything big and dramatic first. Plus, it just feels good to do that. You can just go on and go crazy, get the adrenaline going.

What are some of the things Iron Maiden did right as a business?

We got the right manager—that’s for sure. And we don’t listen to many outside people. It’s not that we think we know it all—we just go with our gut. I’ve learned that when we’ve listened to other people, it’s been wrong. You listen to too many outside people and you start to get confused.

If you’ve got a strong focus on what you’re doing, people will go, “Right—let’s do it.” If you start second-guessing things, people are going to wonder what’s going on. That kind of fear filters through to everybody involved. People feed on positive thinking, not indecision. Sure, you make some mistakes that way, but being stubborn isn’t such a bad thing sometimes. It gives you a directness, and I like that. There’s no messin’ around.

Roy Hilmar Svendsen of IBergen.no spoke to Paul Di'Anno recently about a number of topics including his extremely limited covers opus, The Classics – The Maiden Years, available only through Di’Anno's own website.

”That record can never be better than the originals," DiAnno explains, "but I wanted to update the songs a bit. Both Steve Harris and myself agree that the production on the first two Iron Maiden albums could’ve been better, so I wanted to give the songs a more modern sound. Besides, I sing better now, and wanted to show people that my voice still rocks these classics,” says Di’Anno...

When asked about his participation in the DVD called Iron Maiden – The Early Years, Di’Anno states:

”I wasn’t directly involved in the release of that. They asked me to contribute, and I did an interview in London that was shot for the DVD. It was fun doing something with them again after all these years.”

Di’Anno continues, ”Todays Iron Maiden is a completely different band from when I was in it. Steve wanted to take the band in the direction they went early on, which I wasn’t too happy about. He might’ve been right though? I’m not a big prog rock fan, but I wish them all the best. They will always be the best!”

”We meet at airports here and there from time to time, but that’s about everything we have to do with each other. We’re good friends though, there’s no bad blood there at all,” says Di’Anno.

He rates 'The Number Of The Beast' as one of his personal favorites, even though it’s recorded by his predecessor, Bruce Dickinson, on vocals.

”It’s just a fantastic song! Besides that, 'Sanctuary' and 'Murders In The Rue Morgue' are my favorites. I don’t know much about the Blaze Bayley period.”

Elizabeth Bromstein of Toronto's Now magazine recently conducted an interview with Janick Gers. A few excerpts from the chat follow:

On whether Iron Maiden is a metal band:

"I've never thought of us as a metal band, and I never think about metal. Bruce [Dickinson] will go on about us being a metal band, and maybe people see us that way, but I think there's more to us than that. If people want to call it heavy metal, that's fine with me, but I don't think of it that way."

Read on for more...

On the new Maiden album, "A Matter of Life and Death":

"I think of this record as more progressive. The lyrics are subtle and moving, and the music has a powerful progressive thing, an orchestral feel and thematic melodies all the way through.

"For a band our age, we took a few chances, but we have the musicianship to expand songs to what we feel is the right length. If we feel a song needs to be eight minutes long, it's gonna be eight minutes long."

On the overuse of technology so prevalent in music today:

"I hear albums now and they sound unbelievable — everything's piled on top of everything else, and they're produced to the hilt. Then you see the band live and it sounds like any other band, because it can't have what the record has. Everything's done to a click track and there's no air. It doesn't breathe.

"Adrian [Smith] is using a guitar synth on this album, which is great. It adds a bit of sparkle. But what I don't like are all the processed sounds. You press the Jimmy Page button and end up with a supposed Jimmy Page sound.

"But you know, Jimmy Page didn't have a button to be Jimmy Page, and that's what made it exciting."

Aidin Vaziri of the San Fransisco Gate has published an interview with Iron Maiden frontman Bruce Dickinson. "Anyone that names their new album after something that washes your bum is a bit strange," says Bruce.

There was something reassuring about seeing Iron Maiden crash the upper reaches of the album chart last month with its 14th studio release, "A Matter of Life and Death." Not only has the British heavy-metal band been around forever, but it's unlikely any other act in the top 10 could boast an album of harrowing epics like "The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg" that tangle with war and religion or a lead singer who moonlights as a world-class radio DJ, sword fighter and commercial airline pilot. That would be Bruce Dickinson, whom we spoke to by phone from London shortly after the album's release...

Q: Congratulations on turning into a pop band!

A: Well, I don't know about that. Hardly. When pop bands start doing nine-minute songs, then, hey. The last pop band that did that was Pink Floyd, I think.

Q: Yes, but you were sitting right up there with Beyoncé, Christina Aguilera and "Cheetah Girls 2."

A: The trouble is we need some decent competition. And, let's face it, anyone that names their new album after something that washes your bum is a bit strange.

Q: Huh?

A: Beyoncé. "B'Day." Bidet?

Q: How could I miss that? Thirty years later and you haven't matured a bit.

A: Not at all. I'm still completely juvenile.

Q: Is there a point when you're going to stop putting zombies and skeletons on your album covers?

A: I don't think so. Why?

Q: Doesn't it make you feel a bit like you're in the darkness?

A: Not in the slightest. Having grown up with it, it's actually part of me. I reject the idea that we do music, and we're not serious about it. We're actually very serious about it, but because we're British we can still manage to laugh at ourselves. It's a curious Anglo-Saxon trait. Even while bullets are whizzing over our head, people are still pretending it's funny.

Q: Where's the ironic detachment?

A: I don't see the point of ironic detachment. We don't want people that are going to some fashion store to say, "Hey, wow, look, I bought an Iron Maiden shirt that makes my tits look big." Those aren't the people we're interested in, although if they're stupid enough to buy the shirt, we'll take their money.

Q: Between the BBC radio show, fencing and flying, how did you even find the time to make another Iron Maiden album?

A: The bizarre thing is I've always found that it really helps if you only do one thing at a time. I mean, I have to plan my time a little bit, which makes it sound like there's some great person organizing it, but there isn't.

Q: There are no Bruce Dickinson interns?

A: None whatsoever! I don't have interns. I don't have a manager. I don't have assistants. I don't have a secretary. I can't figure out Outlook Express. I'm the worst person in the world answering e-mails, and my phone is probably the oldest, most battered phone you can find. So I just talk to people.

Q: How does your band put up with you?

A: It doesn't really bother them. I write the songs, rehearse with them and go out and tour with them. They're not complaining.

Q: Plus, it beats having that fake singer.

A: Well, no, the issue is for eight months of this year we were all sitting back, chilling out. When we get back on tour for three months, Iron Maiden becomes the priority. Having stepped out of Maiden and seeing what the world is like, the reality suddenly hit me that it's not such a bad thing. The reason I'm doing it is because I love it. Wow, what a revelation!

Christina Fuoco of LiveDaily.com recently conducted an interview with Iron Maiden guitarist Dave Murray. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow:

LiveDaily.com: What do you see for the future of Iron Maiden? Will you continue cranking out albums?

Dave Murray: "Absolutely. We're touring until the end of the year, and then we're going to take some time off and maybe do something next year. We definitely have plans to do another studio album. Obviously, the dust hasn't settled on this one. There's definitely plans to make a new studio album but fans won't see that for a couple more years.

Keep reading for the whole article...

British rockers Iron Maiden (tickets | music) are playing their new album, "A Matter of Life and Death," in its entirety during their current tour--an idea that could've gone over like a lead zeppelin with the group's longtime fans. But guitarist Dave Murray said that the new material--which the English metal legends play during the first half of their shows--is adding a new dimension that the crowds appreciate.

"Maiden have always done the songs that everyone wants to hear," Murray said in a recent telephone interview from Boston. "They're great songs. We love playing them. But it was a case where it's a challenge for us to play the new album. It pushes us a little bit further. It's just a lot of great fun playing these songs.

"We thought the songs were so strong it justifies playing them live. There's a lot of highs and kind of lows--there's a lot of moods with these songs. They're not just straight-ahead bang, bang, bang. There's quite a lot of quiet passages and where it changes tempos. The fans can stand there and listen to the music as opposed to going out there and bashing their head away for two hours. This is a very musical set. You can really get down with it, or, if you want to sit down and listen to it, you can do that too. On every level, you have a nice balance during the set."

Iron Maiden is enjoying a revival of sorts thanks to "A Matter of Life and Death," which debuted at No. 9 on The Billboard 200 album chart, marking the first Top 10 entry of the band's 14-album career.

The sales figures could partially be due to the publicity the band received during a 2005 run with Ozzfest. During Maiden's final Ozzfest performance, organizer Sharon Osbourne, Ozzy's wife, turned off the sound several times, threw eggs at the stage and chanted "Ozzy" through the PA system, according to published reports. Sharon Osbourne then took the stage and called lead singer Bruce Dickinson an obscene name.

Murray talked with LiveDaily about the Top 10 spot, the songwriting process and Iron Maiden's career-long mascot Eddie.

How's the tour going so far?

We just started a couple of days ago in Hartford and it was great. We're starting to play the whole album. We have big production and a stage set, and it went very good. A great reaction from the audience. They were singing along to all the new songs. It kick-started really well, and we're proud of that.

How did you make the decision to play all of "A Matter of Live and Death" in concert? It's pretty ambitious.

I know. [Laughs] When we were making the album, we just had a really good vibe in the studio. We just felt each track was telling a story. The way we rehearsed and recorded, it felt really natural to play. A lot of stuff on this album, there's a lot of musical, kind of, tricky bits. When we play it live, we have to be right on top of it. It's a case of, it was going to be a challenge for us playing the type of music we've created. We thought, "Well, every tour we've come out and we've been playing a lot of the old material, maybe two, three, four, five, six songs from the new album." We just felt like, "Let's do this whole album." The reaction from the other night was quite stunning, so we thought we had made the right decision. It could fall flat on its face because the music is so strong with the melodies. As well, I think the fans have had enough time--the ones who have the album--they're coming to the show, they know the tunes. It's been out for a few weeks. Hopefully, they would have played it to death. Watching them, they would sing along, they were listening, they were singing along to all the new stuff. We're doing some of the older material, but they have to wait for that until the end. In a way, we feel now this time of Iron Maiden [where] it's justified. "Let's do the new album." There will be other tours when we're going out doing all the older stuff. So, this time around, let's just do this and see what happens.

Congratulations on how high you charted in the United States.

Yes, I think it's the highest ever. The highest entry we've had ever in the US. Also throughout Europe. It was No. 1 in nine different countries. For some reason, it's gone through the roof sales-wise in the first few weeks of release. It's quite incredible that Iron Maiden fans are out there looking out for it.

What do you think it was about "A Matter of Life and Death" that struck your fans?

It's hard to say, really, because I think we've pretty much done the same sort of things that we've normally done. We make an album, and then we prepare for the tour. Maybe stuff like the Internet has made the band more accessible and, through that, they can follow what's going on. I don't know, really. For some unknown reason, this album has shot up. Maybe they've been listening to the earlier stuff, and [were] just waiting for this one to come up. It's been a few years since [2003's] "Dance of Death," anyway. That's a good question. If we knew why, we'd bottle it and sell it as a magic potion. [Laughs] The rock fans are in tune with what's going on today. Through the Internet, they can get access to this band or any band. They're more on top of it.

The success shows you're still relevant in the 2000s.

Yeah, it's nice to be relevant. [Laughs] I think everybody wants to be relevant--especially now. It's such a diverse time of music. But with the Iron Maiden fans, they kind of know what they're going to get. They hook into the whole package--Eddie, the whole thing. I think this is the 14th studio album we've done, and God knows how many tours. It's nice to feel that, yeah, OK, there's still a buzz out there. You just want to go in and make an album, have fun with it, go on tour and have fun with it and enjoy it. When the fans are coming to the shows and the ticket sales are going amazing, and the album's going amazing, it's all worthwhile--and relevant. [Laughs]

I'm assuming you bring Eddie out on stage with you again?

Yeah. Absolutely. In fact, this production on this tour is pretty incredible. It reminds me of going back to the [1984] "Powerslave" type of production we had with all the visual stuff that's going on besides the music. Eddie's certainly part of that. He's larger than life in more ways than one. So there's a lot of visual stuff going on as well, and Eddie's part of it--not to give too much away. It's a pretty huge set. I don't think the fans will be disappointed when they see visually what's going on.

What do you see for the future of Iron Maiden? Will you continue cranking out albums?

Absolutely. We're touring until the end of the year, and then we're going to take some time off and maybe do something next year. We definitely have plans to do another studio album. Obviously, the dust hasn't settled on this one. There's definitely plans to make a new studio album but fans won't see that for a couple more years.

What is the songwriting process like with the band?

Steve [Harris, bassist] and Bruce write all the lyrics, and then the rest of the guys come up with the music. Steve will kind of, like, be the nucleus, so everyone collaborates with him. With ideas, everyone individually goes to Steve and he kind of knocks them into shape. Eventually, people will go to Steve and show them what they got. Sometimes, they're as good as they are. We kind of work like that. Before we go into rehearsal, the song will basically be there in acoustic form. Once we get with the band, it really starts to come into shape. It's a little seed and everything grows out of that. It's a very natural process. Nothing is really forced. No one is bashing their head against the wall. The guys have really got some strong ideas. We want to keep it fresh.

MetalForever.com recently hooked up with Steve Harris to discuss the band's new album, A Matter Of Life And Death, an dthe state of the world of metal. The following is a brief excerpt:

MF: Why the decision to open this tour in the USA vs Europe- do you think metal is still strong in the US?

SH: "Well I don't think it was really a case of saying we're going to open in the USA rather than Europe for any special reason in particular. We've always enjoyed a very loyal following in the USA and Canada so when the idea of starting in the USA was brought up there was no reason to not consider it. After all we did open the Ed Hunter Tour back in 1999 so it's not the first time we've done it this way around..."

Keep reading for more...

MF: Why the decision to open this tour in the USA vs Europe- do you think metal is still strong in the US?

SH: Well I don't think it was really a case of saying we're going to open in the USA rather than Europe for any special reason in particular. We've always enjoyed a very loyal following in the USA and Canada so when the idea of starting in the USA was brought up there was no reason to not consider it. After all we did open the Ed Hunter Tour back in 1999 so it's not the first time we've done it this way around.

Metal is still very strong in the USA and there's some really great stuff coming out at the moment. Bands like Mastadon and Coheed and Cambria are bands which are taking the traditional metal and prog sound and moving it on to somewhere new in terms of aggression and sound. Thats just a couple I can think of off hand but I'm sure there's many more. But Metal is getting stronger everywhere as the new generation are all looking for something new and different and are moving into areas of music they may not have considered before. Add this to the fact that
there's probably more festivals than ever every summer featuring a whole load of great rock and metal acts that over the past five years metal has definitely made a big comeback.

MF: What makes the new CD release unique, new and different- what can fans expect when they put this CD on for the first time?

SH: I think with each Iron Maiden album we've made in recent times we've all explored some new areas but we are Iron Maiden so whatever we do it's always going to have that 'signature' to it. We're all really pleased with the new album. Not only with the songs themselves which we're all immensely proud of but also the way it came together. I think Bruce has described as it was almost meant to be 'our third difficult album' but it ended up being anything but that. From the writing through to the recording this was probably the most pleasurable album to make for a long time. I think one thing people will find is that it's a hell of a lot to take in on one listen. Thats one thing most people have said that even after 6 or 7 listens they're still hearing new passages and things they hadn't noticed before and their favourite song seems to change each time.

MF: The CD is already selling well in Europe- and most of he reviews have been favorable- what are your expectations for sales in the US- and how much do you pay attention to reviews-at this point do you even care about sales or reviews?

SH: As an artist it's alway difficult to comment on what reviewers say about your music unless they're just plainly have a dig at you for no reason but we never get involved in all that. Iron Maiden, as we've said before, have never really bowed to trends and fashion so in some ways we've never ever thought 'oh we have to write a song like that' just to make sure an album sells. I think people know that and thats what has allowed us to enjoy such loyal support from a large number of fans from all over the world. But from a creative perspective, which is where I'm coming from, the most important thing is that the album is the best it can possibly be. Rod Smallwood, our manager, will be the one ensuring that on the business side of things, the album gets the support it
should do from the record companies and of course thats incredibly important but for me personally it's just ensuring that we have created something we're all really proud of in the first place and then taking it on tour. From what I've seen and read in the last 12 months or so since last years Ozzfest show appearances we're viewed very favourably by the media and fans in the USA so I'm sure that in terms of expectations of this album it will be very high. The reviews we've seen and the feedback we've had when being interviewed by journalists in the US about this album has also been incredibly positive so it's all looking good.

MF: Can you make a quick comment about the future of metal music- where do you think the next Priest, Metallica, Maiden, Scorpions or Ozzy is going to come from- there are a lot of metal bands- but do any have the potential to be World Wide phenom's as some of the bands just mentioned? Do you have any plans to stay in the biz beyond the Maiden years whenever that might be and try and help find the next big metal band?

SH: Well as I mentioned before there are a few bands out there which are pushing the boundaries and in some cases breaking them. We have two of the most exciting bands around at the moment touring with us on this tour. 'Bullet for My Valentine' will be with us on most of the dates in
the USA and they're a band thats been out on most of the major festivals this year and apparently have been picking up plenty of awards. They've been worked really hard but in my book thats the best and only way to become a great band. In Europe we've got Trivium coming along with us and I'm sure you're more than familiar with their stuff. Bruce went down to see them in London a while back and his sons a big fan and he was pretty impressed with them when he came into the studio the following day. I've read some really great reviews about them so I'm very interested to see them. As far as where the next Metal Legend will come from? It's really quite hard to say. There's so many different styles and catergories of metal now that in some ways it's got a little diluted but as I mentioned earlier it really comes down to working really hard and being single minded and focussed on being the best live act you can possibly be. You've obviously got to write great songs as well but Metal as a genre is all about reproducing that in front of people and making sure that you're band stands out from all the rest and by hard work . With regards to me after Maiden? - I think there's plenty to keep me occupied for a while yet so I'll think about that a little later down the line.

MF: Random soccer question-final World Cup thoughts- what happened to England? Also, do you think there are some similarities to soccer & metal- meaning both are huge in Europe and around the World- and both are not as big in the USA- any ideas why that might be?

SH: Similarities between Metal and soccer? I can't really think of any except maybe in terms of having loyal supporters who stick with you through the good times and the bad. In the USA I think football or 'soccer' has too much competition with the likes of Baseball, NBA, NFL and alsorts of other highly publicised sports that have been deeply ingrained into the traditional American way of life for decades. Not sure why the USA doesn't pick up on it but it's certainly a lot more popular than it ever was before and the USA team has been doing pretty well of late.

England? Well although it's still a little painful to talk about we simply didn't perform well enough when we needed to. A lot of people say it but there really is no 'easy' games these days and even sides that would have been easy to beat in years gone by have got a lot better. We made a slow start and it's always a real test of your nerves watching any England game these days
but as the World Cup went on everyone started to think we had a good chance. But as soon as any game with England goes to penalties you just know it's not going to happen! So I'm just looking forward to Euro 2008 now.

BraveWords spoke to Janick Gers about a number of topics including the band's latest album, a Matter Of Life And Death. Looking back (somewhere!) in time, BW&BK poised the question: What are your favorites of the catalogue?

"You know, it’s like saying which is your favorite kids," reflects Gers. "You know, I’ve made lots of albums in my time, with White Spirit, Gillan, Fish, I couldn’t pick one. It’s like having eight, nine, ten children, and saying the middle one is your favourite. I like things, a solo here, a melody there, but I like them all the same. I enjoyed playing on all those albums. X Factor I felt was a great album. Wasn’t well-received at the time. The grunge thing had happened, and every rock artist was canceling tours right across America. We went out and we played and we were the most unfashionable band at the time in the world, but we still went out and did the gigs and we enjoyed ourselves, and we thought we had a good album. See you go out and you play, and you make an album, and you hope the people like it, and if they do like it, got bless them, and the people that don’t, well, God bless them too."

Iron Maiden recently announced their most ambitious and extraordinary touring plans thus far. Named the Somewhere Back In Time World Tour 2008 it will comprise three sections, kicking off in February and March of 2008 with the first leg encompassing major concerts in 20 selected cities on five continents in seven weeks including India, Japan, North America, Central and South America and Australia.

The tour will then continue with more concerts in North America in late May and June before finishing with a third leg in July and August encompassing major stadiums and festivals all over Europe. During the tour the band is expected to play to well over one and a half million fans and travel close to 100,000 miles.

The Somewhere Back In Time tour will also revisit the band's history by focusing almost entirely on the 1980's in both choice of songs played and the stage set, which will be based around the legendary Egyptian Production of the 1984-85 Powerslave Tour. This will arguably be the most elaborate and spectacular show the band have ever presented to date.

And for Australian fans, it’s been a long time between drinks as the band last toured there back in 1992. In the wake of the band’s 2008 tour announcement, Joe Matera spoke to Iron Maiden’s long serving guitarist Dave Murray to discuss the upcoming tour, his guitar role within Iron Maiden and on the band being dogged by Satanism claims.

Ultimate-Guitar: The last time Iron Maiden toured Australia was back in 1992. What sort of memories do you have of that visit?

We’ve got some great memories. I remember we traveled around and spent a lot of time in Sydney and stuff like that and it was great. We did all the tourist attractions things like we went and visited the Opera House. We did a lot of that sort of thing while we were in Sydney. And we were given a really beautiful reception by the Australian fans down there. Hopefully this time around we will have a bit more time to see and go to more places besides Sydney and besides doing just the shows themselves.

The upcoming world tour is going to focus primarily on ‘80’s Iron Maiden especially in the selection of set list and the stage set?

That is right. The whole theme of the tour is going to be based on the Egyptian kind of thing that is similar to the production of the Powerslave tour. We are putting a big production together and also we are going to be focusing on the songs from around the mid-‘80s. Though there are a lot of songs and we basically know all of what we are going to be doing, it is going to be a bit of a learning curve in some ways because there are some songs we haven’t played for like 20 years. We will have to go back and relearn them because we may have forgotten how they go or need to know how they all go again (laughs). We are really excited about this because some the songs are really strong and it will be nice to breathe fresh new life into them now especially since Janick [Gers] wasn’t on most of those songs anyway. So it is going to be nice having the three guitarists playing within the framework of those older songs. It should be really good so we are looking forward to working those out.

While on the subject of having a three-guitar line-up, how does each guitarist approach their respective guitar parts within this framework?

A lot of it we just kind of fall into it naturally. If we’re all sitting down and there is a song that has kind of been written, then we basically try to first play around with the chords and try and make it all blend together. When it comes to stuff like working out guitar harmonies, someone will naturally go to a part on the neck that they’re comfortable with. So basically we just sit down and work out those little details in the recording studio just so we kind of know that we are all on the same page. But it is a real easy and natural effort between the three of us. We don’t spend hours and hours analyzing it all. It just tends to flow naturally which is the beauty of it really. Because sometimes it just sounds like one big guitar and at other times, you can hear the three individual players coming through.

"Whole theme of the tour is going to be based on the Egyptian kind of thing."
Having three guitarists in the band and each vying for their own musical space, does it ever get competitive between each other?

No it is not like that because we all feel very comfortable in the surroundings that we don’t feel it is a competition at all. Music shouldn’t be a competition anyway. We just try to complement each other so it is not like a battle of who is going to do what. We all feel comfortably enough with each other where we can play how we feel and just enjoy what the other guys are doing. We just want to make music because we enjoy doing that. And what is the point of competing anyway? It’s not like you’re a soccer player, football player, rugby player or something like that where you’re against the other team and you want to go out there and be up against them. It is a band and a whole different approach.

For the songwriting process, does Steve [Harris] write the initial songs and then bring it to the band so they can add their own bits to them?

Yeah Steve will normally have the songs written like the music, the lyrics and the melodies from the beginning to the end. It is kind of a very specific process as he really knows what he wants so it kind of makes it easier for the band. We will sit down together and he’ll play a melody on the bass and we’ll kind of grab it from there. When we’re in the rehearsal phase, it normally starts out with Steve working with Nicko [McBrain] and getting the rhythm section kind of working on all the bits and getting it absolutely tight. And while they’re doing that, the guitars are kind of messing around and kind of getting into the groove as well. Once we’re in the studio, we will lay everything down live. Because of this, the tracks will have a good feel to them and we’ll go back to them afterwards and patch little things up here and there.

On those early Iron Maiden albums, how much input did producer Martin Birch have in regards to helping the band forge its trademark sound?

The thing about Martin and for that fact Kevin Shirley too, is that they both have the same kind of filter. What I mean is that, they just let the band go in there and do its thing. Martin and Kevin will just enhance it all through the production of the sound. With Martin it was great, as we would go in there with the songs and just play the songs and he would just enhance it through the production side of it all and through the editing process and stuff like that. I know some producers who want to go in there and take over the whole band and mold it in their way. They will normally demand that the band plays like this and you plays that but then it doesn’t sound like the band anymore. It sounds more like the producer. So we’ve been really blessed with Martin and Kevin where we just go in there and play. So you have the identity of the band still in there being the primary focus. And they will have their go at putting in the little things that helps bring out the sound of what we’re like even more.

What is your current live set-up when it comes to guitars, amps and any effects?

I use mainly Fender Strats, some new 100 watt Marshall heads, a Wah Wah pedal and a Marshall JFX-1 effects rack. So I basically have a pedal board that gives me the ability to dial up any sound I want. With Maiden because there are a lot of rhythm parts, especially on the heavy rhythm side of things, I can just kick on a button and have a solo sound or a have a clean sound or whatever. I basically though try and keep four or five sounds preset onstage and just use them solely.

"We're definitely not devil worshippers."
Iron Maiden has always been an easy target for the moral majority particularly over in the US where the band members have in the past been labeled Satanists?

You couldn’t get a group of people further in the opposite direction than any of us. We’re definitely not devil worshippers. I think it all started because of the Number of the Beast album. When it came out, a lot of the people who didn’t like that sort of thing, just started gravitating towards that album in particular. And though it became a big issue at the time, it wasn’t as big as people made out it to be. But we basically ignored it and left it alone.

There are some people out there who unfortunately will always tend to confuse any sort of fantasy with any sense of reality?

Yeah that is right. With Iron Maiden, with the music and the songs and the lyrics, it is all about the escapism really. Basically that is what the songs are about, you listen to them and it sort of takes you somewhere. If you go watch a movie or read a book, it is kind of like the imagery that you will get from that. And it is going to make you feel good if you know what I mean.

Many bands these days seem to be bringing out cover albums, and since Iron Maiden have done some covers in the past, any chance of an entire covers album coming from Iron Maiden any time soon?

Yeah we’ve done covers in the past like for B-sides for singles. We’ve covered bands the likes of Free, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple so we’ve done quite a number of covers and I’m sure there are others flowing out there somewhere. But I don’t think we’d ever actually go in and do a whole covers album. I mean, good for all the guys that do that but I don’t think we would do something like that.

2007 © Joe Matera

Jason Nahrung of Australia's The Courier-Mail recently conducted an interview with Bruce Dickinson. A few excerpts from the chat follow:

On next year's Somewhere Back in Time world tour, which revisits the heavy metal grandeur of Iron Maiden's 1984-5 Powerslave tour:

"We're not trying to rewrite the tour. It won't be 'Live After Death' word for word. I won't be wearing my jocks on the outside of my Spandex. We'll be re-creating the cool bits, but the main thing is the music. We don't want to look like our own version of an Iron Maiden cover band."

Read on for more excerpts.

Thanks to Blabbermouth.net

On the band's enduring popularity:

"Maiden is a unique band. You could say we're one of the last of the originals. If anything, the fan base has regenerated. There's a whole new generation — two new generations — of kids turning up. We played Sweden and filled 50,000-seat soccer stadiums. We never filled a soccer stadium in the mid-'80s. You look now and the first 50 rows are 16-year-olds. On our last tour we were able to play a new album (the 80-minute 'A Matter of Life and Death') in its entirety, and still sell out a worldwide tour of arenas. The fans are attracted to us because we are still an active musical force."

On Iron Maiden being a more relaxed outfit than it used to be:

"Fifteen to 20 years ago we were under the gun, doing loads of touring. We were frazzled. People couldn't give it their best. It was like a sports team, someone was always injured. Now we know it's better to take three months off than to do a bad job. Our performance has improved, the reliability of the performance has improved as well."

On Ancient Egypt seeming a natural backdrop for a tour from one of the most flamboyant of bands:

"As for Egypt, you could overrate the pudding on that one. We were interested in it in the mid '80s, and (the songs) 'Revelations' and 'Powerslave' take imagery from that era, but it's such a fabulous era to plunder. There's an outrageousness about Egypt and there's an outrageousness about heavy metal bands. Making these enormous stone pyramids for everyone to look at seems like heavy metal madness. They were over the top in monument construction — minimalists they were not. That strikes a chord — we're hardly Bauhaus in our aspirations."

Back