Need Recording Tips

EdTrooper

Hey, guys..

I intend to record Maiden´s concert here in São Paulo, on January 17th with my MD Recorder.. never even tried to record anything on it, so if you guys could give me some tips, so that the recording is not sooo bad, I´d appreciate it. thanks!

i've never recorded shit but some common sense stuff:
- test your recorded before the show, that is record something at home see how it works out
- know the settings in your recorder, some have a lot of them and it's hard to set it up before show
- take enough media so you don't get only half on the show.

not professional but hope it helps a bit

hey, a tip is a tip.. thanks a lot...

I am worried abou the quality of the sound.. of course I can´t get a soundboard quality, but I don´t want a "redorder inside the pocket" quality.. u know? I already tried to record some stuff here, but over there the sound is going to be loud as hell... might (and will) distort a lill the sound... I was wondering if there is anything I can do about that..

has anybody here ever recorded any show with a MD?

EdTrooper. how about putting the recorder inside your pocket and clip the mic to your jacket or the outside of your jacket for a better sound quality. you could also get a good position at the concert and try and stop any bass distortion or other problems happening

yea.. I think that´s what I´m going to do... thanks, guys... if it works out, this forum will be the first to get the boot..

I tried to record some Def Leppard concerts back in Feb with just my md and a cheap mic. 2 of the 3 turned out ok whilst the other was way too bassy. Luckily the bass in the 2 venues that turned out ok wasn't too bad.

However I bought a battery pack with a bass filter, which basically plugs in to the mic socket of the md, the mic then plugs in to this small battery pack. You can then set the 'bass roll off' on the pack to reduce how much the bass affects the recording. Here's a link to the site with the battery pack I bought and its also one thats been recommended to me by a few tapers.

Mini Battery Module (The bass roll off option adds $20 to the price, but its a necessity).

Since I got this pack the shows I've recorded have been much better.

Remember to set the recording level of your md to the lowest possible, otherwise the sheer volume going into the md will kill the recording with distortion. I alway set mine to 1 when I go to a gig. Also set your md to either lp2 or lp4. You don't want to be changing discs halfway through a show.

Where you stand in the venue makes a difference. Too close to the front and you would tend to pick up the sound from the speakers at the back of the stage, either side of the drummer. Usually these speakers are set up to have a certain guitarists sound to be higher in the mix on his side of the stage, however thats usually the case for a band with 2 guitarists, so how Maiden do it is another question. I think that the sound at the very front is usually considered the worst, as it tends to wash over the first few rows.

I tend to stand in the centre about 10-15 rows back, (unless of course I'm in the seats). Also try not to stand next to the drunken fool who will spend all night screaming and singing, as this will easily be picked up over the mic. The hardest part is probably that you will have to be a bit more restrained than usual. You don't want to ruin the recording by having your singing voice all over it and also your screaming at the end of each song. You may have to lip-sync along to the songs!!!

I have the md in my pocket with the wire running up the inside of my shirt and the mic is clipped in the middle of my shirt near the collars or in the middle of my hooded top where the toggles are, where it's quite discreet. Apaprently the best place to put the mic is poking out of a baseball cap. But no-one wears baseball caps here in the UK so I'd stick out like a sore thumb.

Once you've recorded the gig you just need some audio editing software like cooledit pro and cd wave editor to clean up and split the recording.

Good luck.

EdTrooper said:
Hey, guys..

I intend to record Maiden´s concert here in São Paulo, on January 17th with my MD Recorder.. never even tried to record anything on it, so if you guys could give me some tips, so that the recording is not sooo bad, I´d appreciate it. thanks!

just on my 21st birthday :)

Gee! Thanks a lot, AndyLGR! really good tips... hope the sound is ok, so I can share with all u guys a good-quality boot...

Snake said:
just on my 21st birthday :)
I´ve been to a Dio and a Blaze concert on 2 of my b-days...

As you are brasilian i thought to write in portuguese, but nobody else would understand, so i´ll try to help you in english :D

First of all, you said that you have a MD recorder, but which one is your Mic? one of the most important things to get a good recording is the mic you´re using... plug your mic in your t-shirt and be happy... :)

After the mic, now there´s a problem that both of us will have, as i´ll record Maiden in São Paulo as well...

Pacaembu is such a big venue, and it will be general admission, so, it will be very dificult to stay near to the stage, and as the stadium will be full, there will be no room without ppl near us that might start screaming and ruining our recording...

So, unfornutally the position that we will get will be the one that we found out to be the best... :( we´ll not have to many options..

and now that thing that i´m really, really worried and the most important... the sound. I really do not know how loud it will be there, speacilly because in the front, the sound will be loud, but as we´re gonna stay in the back, the sound there might not be as loud as it should... and the wind... i remembered Rush last year, in Morumbi, and it was a windy night, so the sound had too many flutuations...

well, i do not know if a really helped you, but, if you have any question, just PM me.. :)

Hey, aces (acestrades?)

yea.. I also rememberer Rush when I had the idea of recording the concert... but in Rush´s concert I was up there, in the seats.. don´t know how the situation was down there... sure was winding up there.. but Morumbi is way bigger than Pacaembu..

the size of tha stadium also popped up into my head, but 96´s gig was recorded.. the sound isn´t soo bad...

The biggest problem, as you said, will be finding a good point, without "pseudo-Bruces" singing all the songs...lol..

well, let´s hope for the best!

at least 5 ppl will record this one hehe

i think heitor(hmc_777) will record it too..

good luck friend.. i'll be there too :banana:

cheers

danmaiden said:
i think heitor(hmc_777) will record it too..

Heitor said that he will record it if he manages to get an MD for it. He was about to sell some rare Maiden item to get money for it...

hopefully will ge a good Maiden recording of São Paulo gig... too many ppl will record...

i´ll release my version, but it will take about 2 weeks after the gig to start beign spread...

Back