MANOWAR NEED HELP!!!!!! HELP ME STEVE OR JON

well im trying to run my own server ok?
well i will use linux, i just got some books and shit like that
well the problem is that i need a domain name right cause the server cant work without it unless i use my Ip address anyways , what should i know?
When i buy a domain can it redirect to my ip adress or what :(

You need to buy a domain and point one of its records at your IP. If you have a dynamic IP you'll have to find some service that will allow you to update records as your IP changes, not with the usual 24 hour wait.

As for us, this site is hosted on a proper server in a datacenter with a fast connection & lots of bandwidth ;)

Jon said:
You need to buy a domain and point one of its records at your IP. If you have a dynamic IP you'll have to find some service that will allow you to update records as your IP changes, not with the usual 24 hour wait.

As for us, this site is hosted on a proper server in a datacenter with a fast connection & lots of bandwidth ;)
and of course you want people to waste more of it :D

Jon said:

i'm using cable mate so my Ip is static unless i want to change it . can you tell me where i can buy a domain with those services?

Mm, a *reasonably* simple way is to register a domain with a good registrar (such as godaddy, or something) and then move its DNS records to nameservers like the ones provided by zoneedit. After that, you create an A record with the right IP you want, and it all should work.

Back