Iron Maiden covers

Grimmie

What do you think about these Maiden covers, like Cradle of Filth: Hallowed be Thy Name, Children of Bodom: Aces High, Anthrax: Remember tomorrow and so on and so on? Are they great or bulls*it?

Musically, Cradle of Filth done a good job of Hallowed Be Thy Name.

But I just don't like Danny Filth's voice. Its good that he did it his own way, but it's no use for a song like Hallowed Be Thy Name.

I think Iced Earth has done great covers of Maiden-songs. Hallowed Be Thy Name, The Number of the Beast and Transylvania are all great covers. Barlows voice sounds great with music of Iron Maiden.

I like also Iced Earth's covers but they are perhaps too 1:1-copies of the originals. But what the hell, they sound good. Also I like Opeth's cover of Remember Tomorrow a lot, they have made it sound original yet still maintain the feel of the original. Cradle Of Filth's cover is also pretty good, and I don't mind the vocals although I don't listen to CoF.

And of course Maiden Hell's covers, but they don't count do they? Because they're a tribute band. Asa? Lappis? D-Iivil? Am I right?

Limelight said:
And of course Maiden Hell's covers, but they don't count do they? Because they're a tribute band. Asa? Lappis? D-Iivil? Am I right?

I'd say you're damn right!

I've heard only few Maiden-covers and most of 'em has been pure shit. For example Children Of Bodom's version of Aces High... aaagh!

Limelight said:
Also I like Opeth's cover of Remember Tomorrow a lot, they have made it sound original yet still maintain the feel of the original.
Yeap, you're so right with that one. Great cover.

Also I like Hallowed be thy Name (Shallow be My Grave?) -cover a lot. And like Limelight, I don't mind Dani's voice. Maybe cause I do listen CoF a bit, and do listen a few bands that don't have so pure vocals on them.

But after listening to eight Iron Maiden -tribute albums, you can say that most of the "covers" are pure shit.

The best covers I've heard are: Sonata Arctica - Die with your boots on , Cradle of filth - Hallowed be thy name , Opeth - Remember tomorrow and Icedc Earth - Transylvania.

I've got these covers on my good ol' compaq:

Children Of Bodom - Aces High
Cradle Of Filth - Fear Of The Dark
Iced Earth - Hallowed Be Thy Name
Metallica - Prowler(live)
Metallica - Remember Tomorrow(live)
Sentenced - The Trooper
character21.gif

ewil said:
Cradle Of Filth - Fear Of The Dark

Umm, if I remember correct, CoF hasn't done a cover of that song, just Hallowed Be Thy Name. If my memory serves me correct, the band in that is called Graveworm (or something like that), and it spreads through the internet claimed to be by Cradle Of Filth.

Sorry for my bad english, hope you understand what I'm saying. :)

Limelight said:
Umm, if I remember correct, CoF hasn't done a cover of that song, just Hallowed Be Thy Name. If my memory serves me correct, the band in that is called Graveworm (or something like that), and it spreads through the internet claimed to be by Cradle Of Filth.

Sorry for my bad english, hope you understand what I'm saying. :)

Yep... I heard that too while ago... But thanks anyway :)
It was too good to be Filth :D
btw: Your english is better than mine...

ewil said:
Yep... I heard that too while ago... But thanks anyway :)
It was too good to be Filth :D
Aww.. I just hate internet for this, cause probably everyone of the most famous BM groups have done dozens of Maiden and other covers. That's quite annoying actually when you start thinking about it.

And about that Sonatas cover, that Icarus mentioned, it's a bit different than " a usual cover" could be. It just has a certain edge, like their cover of Still Loving You (Scorpions)

ewil said:
Metallica - Prowler(live)
Metallica - Remember Tomorrow(live)
And are these full songs?

PS. I have no apologies for my english, you just cope with it, or don't :)

QazKFD said:
And are these full songs?

PS. I have no apologies for my english, you just cope with it, or don't :)

Yes they are. And in the end of Prowler they play a little bit of Run to the Hills... But they are the worst Maiden covers I've ever heard...

PS. My native language is Savo, so sometimes I even have to ask does people understand my finland... LOL

Limelight said:

Same thing with Sentenced's cover of the Trooper. It's claimed to be played by Children of Bodom. That was a big joke in UltimateMetal.com for a long time. Don't know if it still is 'cause I stopped visiting there after I found Maiden Finland.

ewil said:
Yes they are. And in the end of Prowler they play a little bit of Run to the Hills... But they are the worst Maiden covers I've ever heard...
Maybe Metallica's boys have done them with a bit of humorous attitude or something?

Prowler ja Remember Tomorrow oli soitettu varmaan ihan "tosissaan".
Mut toisaalta Run To The Hills oli soitettu (toivottavasti?) pilke silmäkulmassa, oli nimittäin jotain todella kauheata.. :)
Tämä tuli nyt suomeks, mut toivottavasti kukaan ei pahastu.. Jos pahastuu niin huono hänelle, minä keitän kahvit!!!! :D

Back