i never quite really understood the diffence between

MaidenMadness

heavy and power metal. what is the diffence? it is all metal to me but i suddenly feel and unresistable rush of curiosity and i am asking you to educate me

Its hard to explain, but to me power metal is the difference between Maiden and bands like Manowar & Gamma Ray. The guitar styles are very different, and the lyrics have different themes.

Just my idea though, doesnt mean its right :)

Jon said:
Its hard to explain, but to me power metal is the difference between Maiden and bands like Manowar & Gamma Ray. The guitar styles are very different, and the lyrics have different themes.

now this is confusing cause on other forum i read that manowar is typical heavy metal band

I think that in power metal the drums are more like... Faster you know? And keyboards are more into it. Dunno.

Power metal generally has a faster tempo, and a more prominant drum beat.

To be honest though nowadays, no band sticks to entirely one style any more. Power bands do more thrashy stuff, or more symphonic stuff. The labels really don't mean shit to me anymore.

If we take Maiden as representative of heavy metal and Helloween of power metal two major differences are faster tempo and heavier sound. Not just drums, guitars and bass too.

And Manower is much more closer to heavy metal then power metal.

Jon said:

Did you just call Manowar a POWERmetal band?? sheesh....!! :? :banned:

Grimmie said:
I think that in power metal the drums are more like... Faster you know? And keyboards are more into it. Dunno.
Dream Theater are a power metal band? LOL

Seems like we are talking about the difference between European powermetal and heavy metal. Well, I think Powermetal is much more "keyboardic" and has stupid drum beat "tumputitumputitumputi". And for example, Rhapsody uses violins. That's horrible. I personally think that Helloween and Manowar are Heavy metal bands.

And if we talk about american power metal, listen' to Iced Earth. That is POWER in their music!

Rhapsody and Kamelot are called Powermetal too, but they don't play fast.
Their songs are about fairytales and they are very melodic.

I think this is the new subgenre, Powermetal used to be very fast stuff indeed like Gamma Ray, Steel prophet, etc

Back