High voltage vol.1 review

7thsonof7thson

Ok this is my review of the High Voltage vol.1 bootleg compilation album. on this one i will go over the songs track by track, ok here we go.

1. Running free: a demo version from '79 with Doug Sampson on drums avaiable by mistake on the first version of the compilation album "Axe Attack". Good version of a good song. Sound is ok.

2. Drifter: recorded at the Marquee in london 80-4-3. This version is only avaiable on the UK Sanctuary single. Good sound for a live recording of that time and song is well preformed, allthough in my opinion bruce fits better for this song but that is a matter of tastes.

3. Killers: a live version from somewere of this song. sound is very bad. otherwise its as usualy a good song.

4. Another Life: another live version from somewere, awfull sound on this one too.

5. Phantom of the Opera: recorded at Lund, Sweden 10-sep-81. This was Pauls last gig. sound is Decent for its age but nothing really amazing. But the preformance is good.

6. Wrathchild: from the US release of Maiden Japan (was not included in the european release. Great song and great sound.

7. The Prisioner: this is a very early version of this song, recorded at Ruskin arms 23-dec-81. unfortunatly sound is not ver good on this recording but its ok. makes a nice listen.

8. Tush: recorded at the Reading festival ´82 with Blackfoot as guest on stage. originaly recorded by ZZ top. not really my fav song but its rather intresting hearing maiden preform it.

9. Smoke on the water: cover of Deep Purples probably most famous song. sound is not very good but its a nice listen.

10. Rock n Roll: Nicko and Steve played along with roger Daltrey, Pat Cash and John McEnroe for a charity single released under the name Full Metal Racket. Originaly recorded by Led Zepelin. This aint either one of my personal favs but it is really a intresting listen.

11. Bring your daughter to the slaughter: this is the original version recorded in 89 for "A nightmare on elm street 5" quality is good and personally i like this one more then the official one.

12. Wasting Love: Keith Olsen remix. this one is 1 minute shorter then the official one but i cant really find any big diffrences in it otherwise then that.

Overall:

makes very much fun listening sounds like a "Best of the bsides 2" wich aint negative at all. unfortunatly some songs have pretty bad sound but comon they are 20+ years old you cant expect more.

my rating 4/5

Back