Future of hard rock/heavy metal music

MaidenMadness

in the 90's hard rock/heavy metal started losing its popularity, which is normal cause most of the giants of these genres got old, ran out of ideas and /or started falling apart. that is all normal but what should be troubling is the fact that there arent any new bands appearing for these genres. if a new band appears than its either some trash, power or extreme metal, or nu metal but when it comes to old school heavy metal/hard rock whats the newest band you can say appeared?
so what do you think what is a future of these genres? will somebody new appear or will the fans be the only thing that will be keeping memory of these genres alive

After year 2000 came only two good heavy metal bands; Halford and Machine Men.
First one is an old member of a band that was involved in the greation of heavy metal and the other is mainly known in Finland, so I don't see any bright light at the end of heavy metals "new coming"... :|
Maybe it'll rise agin when bands like Priest and Maiden retire, maybe not...

ewil said:
After year 2000 came only two good heavy metal bands; Halford and Machine Men.
First one is an old member of a band that was involved in the greation of heavy metal and the other is mainly known in Finland, so I don't see any bright light at the end of heavy metals "new coming"... :|
Maybe it'll rise agin when bands like Priest and Maiden retire, maybe not...
see thats the point rob halford is old. and the second one just doesnt have luck cause it lives in a time where record companies need instant stars that will be in for couple of years, in that time they will make more money than a lot of hard rock/heavy metal bands made in their whole career and when they're just not in anymore they find a new star. thats not the way hard rock/heavy metal works. they require something that record companies dont have - TIME to earn a star status. personally i think these genres will continue to exist as underground but that they'll never regain status as they had back in the past

MaidenMadness said:
see thats the point rob halford is old. and the second one just doesnt have luck cause it lives in a time where record companies need instant stars that will be in for couple of years, in that time they will make more money than a lot of hard rock/heavy metal bands made in their whole career and when they're just not in anymore they find a new star. thats not the way hard rock/heavy metal works. they require something that record companies dont have - TIME to earn a star status. personally i think these genres will continue to exist as underground but that they'll never regain status as they had back in the past
I agree, heavy metal can't ever make a third wave in this music culture.
You have to be instant hit or nothing, and to be instant hit you'll have to be something "fresh", not heavy metal 'cause those who have played it are old and young audience don't want old.

I think Hard-Rock/Heavy Metal is an infinite renewal and big names of this kind of music are eternal. the list is long : Judas, Maiden, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Led Zep, Van Halen, and many more... and their album are a part of music's patrimony. 'New styles' of heavy are just a needed of music's criticals to put bands in drawers. (you just have to see names of music magazine in France : hard & heavy, new rock, nu metal......). But many new bands are very good and it's a good thing for old ones. why you'll ask me (maybe), cause all this new bands listened the big names of heavy before playing themselves music. And during the interviews, they always spoke about their influences in music.
I work in music business, and I can guarantee you that Maiden or Judas never sell so more than since all these nu metal is on !!!! My son listen to all this new bands but he also listen to Maiden (he's a big fan), Judas or Black Sabbath while he's young and didn't know them to their big age but all know of them !!!!
To finish new bands (for a part) come and leave but 'dinosaurs' are always here and for a long time and you can see that they all play sold out everywhere they play !!!!

the_nomad said:
I think Hard-Rock/Heavy Metal is an infinite renewal and big names of this kind of music are eternal. the list is long : Judas, Maiden, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Led Zep, Van Halen, and many more... and their album are a part of music's patrimony. 'New styles' of heavy are just a needed of music's criticals to put bands in drawers. (you just have to see names of music magazine in France : hard & heavy, new rock, nu metal......). But many new bands are very good and it's a good thing for old ones. why you'll ask me (maybe), cause all this new bands listened the big names of heavy before playing themselves music. And during the interviews, they always spoke about their influences in music.
I work in music business, and I can guarantee you that Maiden or Judas never sell so more than since all these nu metal is on !!!! My son listen to all this new bands but he also listen to Maiden (he's a big fan), Judas or Black Sabbath while he's young and didn't know them to their big age but all know of them !!!!
To finish new bands (for a part) come and leave but 'dinosaurs' are always here and for a long time and you can see that they all play sold out everywhere they play !!!!
...and after they're gone, the Spirit Carries On...
That's true what you said about influenses, many new bands have listened Maiden and Priest and then started to play own music. What's the thing in here that horrifies me the most is that if you have listened great metal bands as a youngster and you start playing this new type of metal (nu-, love-glam-...), what will the new generation start to play when they listen this kind of music that is called metal?
In Finland we have had metal/hard rock bands coming like in a wave for last few years, but the thing is they aren't unique. Stratovarius came (poor copy of german power metal) and then Sonata Arctica and Thunderstone and.... :roll: Then came HIM, they played love metal but it was a bit dark, so then comes Negative with same kind of music but with glam outfit and then Private Line and... :roll:
This just shows one thing: if someone does something that brings profit to the record company they just copy and copy it... and do you think "ugly" ppl playing metal with leather/pvc outfits will be popular among teens, and thus bringing money? Don't think so....

I believe in future of metal. i have my own band and i really wont to believe in a future. maiden need 4.5 years to grow old & they bruce said that is very good thing. they had a hard way to stars and now they are the best band ever

hard is getting old but it stays in our hearts...
Hard is the future, not with that name but with all of these different feelings(with "new styles") but i don't think that we'll find legends like maiden metallica, dream theater.... bands which have influenced the world, a population.. Actually, the new bands follow the fashion, tastes so much. i think that the mentalities are changed then the music follows.......

ewil said:
...and after they're gone, the Spirit Carries On...
That's true what you said about influenses, many new bands have listened Maiden and Priest and then started to play own music. What's the thing in here that horrifies me the most is that if you have listened great metal bands as a youngster and you start playing this new type of metal (nu-, love-glam-...), what will the new generation start to play when they listen this kind of music that is called metal?
In Finland we have had metal/hard rock bands coming like in a wave for last few years, but the thing is they aren't unique. Stratovarius came (poor copy of german power metal) and then Sonata Arctica and Thunderstone and.... :roll: Then came HIM, they played love metal but it was a bit dark, so then comes Negative with same kind of music but with glam outfit and then Private Line and... :roll:
This just shows one thing: if someone does something that brings profit to the record company they just copy and copy it... and do you think "ugly" ppl playing metal with leather/pvc outfits will be popular among teens, and thus bringing money? Don't think so....

ah boy, I miss you

killers said:
hard is getting old but it stays in our hearts...
Hard is the future, not with that name but with all of these different feelings(with "new styles") but i don't think that we'll find legends like maiden metallica, dream theater.... bands which have influenced the world, a population.. Actually, the new bands follow the fashion, tastes so much. i think that the mentalities are changed then the music follows.......
i would disagree with you there
i think that legends like maiden will appear in these new genres
why do i feel this way
you say that these new bands follow the trends
that is true
however even hard rock/heavy metal in its earliest days were just a bunch of groups giving people what was in at the time
harder, faster and louder music
when the trends changed some bands decided to follow it some decided to stick with their original genres
both of this two flows produced giants
if you want a trendy one take a look at motley crue or guns and roses
nobody can take the legendary status away from them regardless of their own personal feelings about them
and if you want the one that stayed true to their gerne there are maiden, metallica(in its early days), deep purple, sabbath
so these new trendy genres will produce legends
the only problem is that most metal fans dont really like the idea of future of metal depending on the bands like linkin park

MaidenMadness said:
i would disagree with you there
i think that legends like maiden will appear in these new genres
probably but not in the genre that we'd like, in my view..

killers said:
probably but not in the genre that we'd like, in my view..

oh, I can listen to alot of newer metal, you can still hear maiden, they wont die down anyways, not until I'm dead atleast, and then I don't give a fuck what happens

Rockhardchick666 said:
oh, I can listen to alot of newer metal, you can still hear maiden, they wont die down anyways, not until I'm dead atleast, and then I don't give a fuck what happens

sometimes i have weird thought

I believe in the future of heavy metal, Im a guitarist myself, and Im working on getting together a band that plays real heavy metal, not all this screamo and thrash shit. As long as people like us continue to listen to heavy metal, and teach our kids about greats like Maiden, Priest, Van Halen, and dare I say it...BLAZE, then heavy metal will live on for a few more generations, its up to us to keep it going.

IMO...the worst thing that has happened to the music buisness is genres like (c)rap, hip-hop, and reGAY. They are completely taking all the glory away from real music, I dont know what anyone sees in that shit.

I just found this band... MASTODON. I really like their new album Blood Mountain, also couple of good tracks from Leviathan. Looking forward to hear their next album. They surely are unique and follows no trends.
Anyone into them ?

ThePrizoner said:
I just found this band... MASTODON. I really like their new album Blood Mountain, also couple of good tracks from Leviathan. Looking forward to hear their next album. They surely are unique and follows no trends.
Anyone into them ?

I love them :headbang:

they created a new heavy/prog very loud, they rule 8)

Here is something fresh, new song from Finland - MOKOMA - kicks ass !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjKx2IVesjo

10087_logo.JPG

Back