Fake Bootlegs?

edbangor

Thought this would be a good question to ask:

Anyone know of any Fake Maiden related bootlegs out there?

I don't just mean those with a spelling mistake, or a picture of the wrong line up as, let's face it, listing all of those would take up most of the board. :x

No, what I mean is boots being passed off as the wrong date, wrong location, or even the wrong band...

For example: Queen's "Live in the USA '82" was actually recorded in Kyuden Auditorium, Fukuoka, Japan.

Or: The fake version of Dream Theater's about to be released "Train of Thought" CD that is currently doing the rounds on the newsgroups featuring short, pop songs (as if DT would do that!) LOL

But, perhaps the best know would be: Metallica's Bay Area Thrashers: The Early Days which as I'm sure most people know is little more than the No Life 'till Leather demo remixed with some between song banter [nicked from a video] and over dubbed with some audience noise. This, was passed off as a semi-official release, and sold in many stores, until Lars and the boys - always guardians of their fan's best interests NOT - sued although the disc is still about.

So, anyone know of any Maiden ones that traders should be on the lookout for....?

There are a few Maiden fakes going around. I can't remember since it was a few years ago, but I usually check these days.

The last one I got was only a month ago, and it was listed as Brisbane 82, but it's most certainly not Brisbane. So don't get that one if you see it. I've never any Aussie 82 shows that are legit!

I've got this really bad one from Metallica. Actually in my shares if you happen to read through my files when I'm on the hub.

It's labels Metallica Live in Philly 4-20-86, live from the Spectrum. Nice cover, nice back cover, the problem...

Well, nowhere in it does it mention philly, the only time a town is mentioned is during seek and destroy when they mention CHICAGO.
Then the songs seem mostly placed in random order and assembled from atleast 3 different concerts.

No biggie really just funny that someone would go through the trouble of labeling it philly when philly is never mentioned but chicago is.

phantasy_orb said:
I've got this really bad one from Metallica. Actually in my shares if you happen to read through my files when I'm on the hub.

It's labels Metallica Live in Philly 4-20-86, live from the Spectrum. Nice cover, nice back cover, the problem...

Well, nowhere in it does it mention philly, the only time a town is mentioned is during seek and destroy when they mention CHICAGO.
Then the songs seem mostly placed in random order and assembled from atleast 3 different concerts.

No biggie really just funny that someone would go through the trouble of labeling it philly when philly is never mentioned but chicago is.

Ha, that's interesting, especially as Metallica were in Philly on that date?
(There's a set list on the MetLive.com site if you want to check.) with the Chicago show being several days earlier.
Wonder if all the songs came from the same tour?

Still, that's bootlegers for you. :eek:

Back