Every small and big trader in here pls

I thought it couldn't get any worse in the trading business because of all the garbage going on practically against everything these days. BUT i'd like to add 1 more thing that every single trader should know, no matter how many shows you traded:
STOP PACKING CDS FACE TO FACE!!!!!!!!!
now for the special ppl: if you pack 2cds, recorded surface against recorded surface, put them into an envelope and send away on each cd strange spots will appear. I don't know what this is exactly but it gives a huge shitload of errors when copying or playing. Most of the traders do that and i can't figure out why.
 

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
AGuyFromNY said:
I thought it couldn't get any worse ... [snip] ... but it gives a huge shitload of errors when copying or playing. Most of the traders do that and i can't figure out why.
The surfaces are actually rough on a microscopic scale. (data on a CD is used as flat for 1 and a pit for 0, thats what a burner does to the surface). Its like rubbing two sheets of infinitely fine sandpaper against each other.. And since the data's integrity depends on the disc's integrity right down to that scale it screws them up.

And surely if you buy half decent CD's each one will have some kind of individual storage..
 
Jon said:
The surfaces are actually rough on a microscopic scale. (data on a CD is used as flat for 1 and a pit for 0, thats what a burner does to the surface). Its like rubbing two sheets of infinitely fine sandpaper against each other.. And since the data's integrity depends on the disc's integrity right down to that scale it screws them up.

And surely if you buy half decent CD's each one will have some kind of individual storage..
i think you're very close. cds i received had starnge spots on them, i guess that it might be vacancies after small bits of material that were torn out. this would explain the screw up but i'm not 100% sure
 
I've never packed two CD's into the same sleeve. I've always put each CD in its one sleeve even if its a 2 CD set. And then just wrote on the sleeve itself what it is. Hey I thought it was commen sense to put each one in its own sleeve.........guess not. LOL

MP
 

darthrya

Member
I do pack my cds double in a sleeve, but I find no harm in doing it the opposite way - writing surfaces facing out. Then I pack them in a bubbled envelope and all works fine.
 

BoBo

Active Member
You are bumping really old threads. :)

I put them face to face, but always with piece of paper between them.
 
I think it has to do something with the coating material. When cds are pressed against each other very small chunks break off and this causes lots of copy errors.
I put 2 cds face to face and pressed with a few books, after a week one of them had these tiny spots.
 

darthrya

Member
AGuyFromNY said:
I think it has to do something with the coating material. When cds are pressed against each other very small chunks break off and this causes lots of copy errors.
I put 2 cds face to face and pressed with a few books, after a week one of them had these tiny spots.
That is wierd. I thought since the surfaces didn't change in the burn (the laser goes through the plastic surface to write on the dye), putting them face to face without rubbing them wouldn't do any damage. I never put them face to face only because scratches give the laser a difficult time reading the content. I didn't know putting pressure on the face causes damage too.
 
hard to say, the one that pissed me off was TDK, but i also received fuji and some noname cds as well.
I'm trying to make a picture but have troubles with my crappy camera.
 

darthrya

Member
AGuyFromNY said:
hard to say, the one that pissed me off was TDK, but i also received fuji and some noname cds as well.
I'm trying to make a picture but have troubles with my crappy camera.
When/if you can, do share them with us.
 

darthrya

Member
AGuyFromNY said:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2wqhm/A.JPG
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2wqhm/B.JPG

Open them and you should see the damage. I'm talking here about those spots which are impossible to get rid of.
I see what you are talking about. If you can get some better pics, post them here. What I see in the pics, though I know what you are talking about, looks like normal surface wear. Maybe some better pics will show its distinctness.
 
I cannot get a better picture. There is either too much or not enough light. But as you can see these spots are physical damage not something that i could just wipe off.
Another thing: other cd is OK
 
Top