English premier league

MaidenMadness said:
are you willing bet on it?

Yes :|

The Kop had a McDonalds near the entrance.........
And a Section called the McDonalds family area
This only lasted one season after much outrage :|
McDonalds gone :|

rockin_plumber said:
Yes :|

The Kop had a McDonalds near the entrance.........
And a Section called the McDonalds family area
This only lasted one season after much outrage :|
McDonalds gone :|
that was different

In all reality, Arsenal should never actually have been in the original First Division, hence therefore don't deserve their place in the Premiership :err:

Bockaaarck said:
In all reality, Arsenal should never actually have been in the original First Division, hence therefore don't deserve their place in the Premiership :err:
really didn't know that
what they got relegated the season just before premiership was formed?

MaidenMadness said:
really didn't know that
what they got relegated the season just before premiership was formed?

Here 8)

Arsenal finished fifth in the Second Division in 1914-15, the last before all sport stopped for the duration of the war. Derby had 53 points, Preston 50, Barnsley 47, Wolves 45 and Arsenal, Birmingham and Hull each had 43. Meanwhile, Spurs had finished bottom of the First Division that season with Chelsea one place above them in nineteenth spot.

On the resumption of football in 1919-20, the League, whose president was Liverpool’s chairman, John McKenna, a good friend of Norris, decided to expand the First Division to 22 clubs. Whenever this had happened in the past the two bottom Division One clubs had been allowed to stay in the league. So the expectation was that Chelsea and Spurs would remain to be joined by Derby and Preston.

This seemed even more likely given that there had been some well dodgy results in the First Division in April 1915 when clubs were jockeying for advantage before the shutdown. We can hardly credit it now, given their auspicious histories, but the Man U vs. Liverpool game - won 2-0 by the Mancs – was fixed by some of the players, leaving Man U with 30 points, just two more than Spurs, although even if two points had been deducted Spurs would still have been bottom on goal difference. But, as Soar points out: “Nonetheless, the incident did throw considerable doubt on the final placings and suggested that there could not possibly be any alternative but to re-elect the bottom clubs after the War.” Anyway, fix a match like that nowadays and you’d probably get banned for good. Just think – no Man U………..

What happened next was astonishing, even looking back from the hyper-cynical times that we do now. When the League met after the war to decide the make-up of the divisions, Derby and Preston were automatically promoted from the pre-war Division Two. But then, McKenna invited Division two clubs to apply for places occupied by Spurs and Chelsea and then stated that Chelsea should stay in the top division because of ‘special circumstances’. He was referring to the bent Man U game which would have put Chelsea above United had they had the two points ‘won’ against Liverpool deducted.

So Chelsea stayed and Spurs were suddenly under threat. They had come bottom, true, but only one point behind Chelsea and had not fixed any matches. Then came even more insult to injury. Norris’s great mate McKenna urged the committee members to vote for Arsenal to be promoted on the grounds that they had been league members longer than Tottenham! As Soar says: “The suggestion made little sense; Wolves, who had been founder members of the League in 1888 and who had finished above Arsenal in 1915, were also applying, as were Birmingham who, as Small Heath, had entered the Second Division a year before Arsenal, in 1892.”

A nod’s as good as a wink and the committee members duly voted Arsenal in with ten more votes than Tottenham. And they’ve remained in the top division ever since, the only club never to have earned the right to be there on the field of play.

right relegate them to coca cola championship then
and as for liverpool and man u demote them to conference for fixing the match :D

MaidenMadness said:
right relegate them to coca cola championship then
and as for liverpool and man u demote them to conference for fixing the match :D

:err: I did think about removing that bit

rockin_plumber said:
:err: dunno
well i asked cause some of the text reminded me of currentl croatian leauge so i was wondering if in 90 years time croatian leauge might be one of the strongest leauges in europe

MaidenMadness said:
well i asked cause some of the text reminded me of currentl croatian leauge so i was wondering if in 90 years time croatian leauge might be one of the strongest leauges in europe

Could be LOL

rockin_plumber said:
Could be LOL
who knows

but somehow i doubt it will happen
somehow i doubt most of our clubs will survive for 90 years considering huge finanicial problems most of them are in
for example hajduk's debt couple of years ago was somewhere around 50 million euros
for croatian clubs that is a huge debt

Does anyone know what Pires (or was it Van Persie?) was doing with that penalty? I have yet to see the highlights but I'm told that he tryed to involve a second Arsenal player in it?! Will see it on Football First or Match of The Day tonight, but just curious...

dogigniter said:
Does anyone know what Pires (or was it Van Persie?) was doing with that penalty? I have yet to see the highlights but I'm told that he tryed to involve a second Arsenal player in it?! Will see it on Football First or Match of The Day tonight, but just curious...

Apparently Pires chose to pass the ball to Henry instead of shooting....
It didnt work though LOL LOL LOL

rockin_plumber said:

Hey Frenchy LOL

Explain the logic of theses two Frenchy's taking a penalty :err:

I thought there would only be one option............ SHOOT LOL LOL LOL

rockin_plumber said:
Hey Frenchy LOL

Explain the logic of theses two Frenchy's taking a penalty :err:

I thought there would only be one option............ SHOOT LOL LOL LOL

:err: you must know that it's a french tactical :err:

make believe to the goal that you'll shoot and finally not :oops:

or to have the chance to goal and do the choice that not => french spirit :err:

rockin_plumber said:

Right I have seen this now...........

Pires had a penalty..........
Chose to pass to Henry..........
He kinda scuffed the ball and it didnt move.........
Henry runs into the box..........
So do the Man City defence........
Pires panics and scuffs the ball again........
Man City defence clear the ball........
But..........
As Pires touched the ball twice.......
Man City won a free kick.

LOL LOL LOL

Back