worldslaver said:
and by the way
who the hell is Derek?! :? :oops:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

rockin_plumber said:
cf64bd22.gif

worldslaver said:
so why is Derek Riggs so improtant? :? :? :|

In my previous post I Put a link to Derek's website.
Go to that website and click on 'published illustration'.
then scroll down to where it says 'IRON MAIDEN'.
then scroll down to the image of the 'LIVE AFTER DEATH' album art that HE PAINTED for the band.
On that painting you will see the partially obscured tombstone with Eddie's full name enscribed in it, although obscured.

THAT IS WHO DEREK IS.

THAT IS WHY HE IS SO IMPORTANT.

:roll:

I nearly swore then.

afraidtoshooteddie said:
then scroll down to the image of the 'LIVE AFTER DEATH' album art that HE PAINTED for the band.
On that painting you will see the partially obscured tombstone with Eddie's full name enscribed in it, although obscured.

THAT IS WHO DEREK IS.

I nearly swore then.

thanx fraidy LOL LOL

afraidtoshooteddie said:

THAT IS WHO DEREK IS.

I nearly swore then.

no its like the original one! i have the DVD and shirt and a live after death flag! :x

rockin_plumber said:
:err:

.oO(That reply really didnt make sense)
ohhh now i know! Derek Riggs is the art dude that made covers for Maiden until he got fired right? i forgot his name!! i thought he was sumkinda dude who just paints em for fun! :p

worldslaver said:
he got fired coz he failed to do the Wickerman single cover well so they just tooka picture of the band and bruce had a torch in his hand 8)

Sez who? :roll:

Their problems went back for years.
Firstly Maiden got him to sign an exclusivity contract, waaaaay back. Meaning that he couldn't work for anyone else. Which left him feeling restricted.
Then they would request artwork from him with incredibly short notice. To the point that on some occasions he would be finishing artwork in the Taxi on the way to their office.
He has also been suffering with M.E. for years, (that's Myalgic Encephalopathy) or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
It was actually a disagreement over the Artwork for FEAR OF THE DARK that led to the first album cover that the band released that WASN'T done by Derek. The band chose work by Melvyn Grant. (The first single not to use his artwork was '85's 'Running Free - Live' single.).

They didn't use his art for the 'From Here To Eternity' single either, or ...

Wasting Love - Single
Live at Donington - Album.
Man On The Edge - single
X Factor - album
Lord of the Flies - Single
Virus - CD singles
Futureal - CD Single
Virtual XI - Album
Ed Hunter - Game/Album.

All of which came out a bit before the 'Wicker man' Single. :p

However. They have somewhat burried the hatchet, and some of Riggs' newer work is still getting called on, ( His soldier painting was used for the art for the 'These colours don't run' Shirt / Poster etc).

Eddie's Real Name!

According to my opinion Derek Riggs' Eddies are somewhat quite dull to many. Therefore I think Melvyn Grant's Eddies are brilliant. He was the person behind the Fear of the Dark, Virtual XI, Death on the Road and The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg covers. I wonder if one day Grant, not Riggs, will design a cover for Iron Maiden's next album.

Back