Best current Iron Maiden Guitarist?

• Janick Gers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dave Murray

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adrian Smith

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
The problem with Janick is that he falls between two stools in terms of the Maiden styles. He doesn't have the flash dexterity of Dave Murray and he doesn't incorporate the melodic thoughtfulness of Adrian Smith. A perfectly good guitarist but I doubt he'd pick up many, if any votes, in a poll like this.

Many years ago I'd have said there was no contest and it would be Dave Murray. He has a highly distinctive style, plays with beautiful tone through that neck pickup, can shred with the best of them and his style is bloody difficult to duplicate accurately. I just love Dave Murray as a guitarist yet my vote went to Adrian - why?

Because Dave Murray improvises alot of his solos they can become a little 'samey' if you listen to alot of them one after the other and it is difficult to really remember them. In comparison I'd say that Adrian Smith, while not as fast and flash as Dave, is far more of the complete guitarist. He can play fast but the main characteristic of his playing tends to be very thoughtful melody. His solos are beautifully constructed and incorporate a memorable melody line as well as elements of flash playing. The Maiden solos that stick in your mind are invariably Adrian's. On another thread my vote for the best Maiden solo went to Stranger in a Strange Land because it is a perfect example of everything that is so fantastic about Adrian's playing. I'd love to have the technical skill and dexterity of Dave Murray's playing but given the choice, I'd rather be able to play like Adrian Smith any day of the week. There's just so much more to being a great guitarist than simply mind blowing speed, which is why Dave Gilmour will always be a far better guitarist than Herman Li in my opinion.

Dave Murray

I look up on Dave with fastest solos etc. Adrian with cool solos and Jannick of stage show and using more overdrive than Adrian and Dave :trooper:

Dave is faster and softer :) Adrian is more melodical and heavier at the same time :D Janick... I never liked him :(
I choose Adrian :)

UP THE IRONS! :edmetal:

Back