20 questions...Rod's answers!

Thingfish

From the Maiden Online Club :

"Sorry these are a bit late chaps but its been pretty intense in Maidenville this last week or so getting all the bits ready for the album. Here are my attempts at answering five of the questions and the rest will follow very soon. As you can see I am trying to give you full and proper answers and it does take time. Rod.

1) From: Alucard
Question: What do you think about the new Iron Maiden album?

I am immensely proud of our new album. Steve always says l am like an expectant father whilst they are recording and l always dread hearing a new album for the first time - in case l don't like it!! And they will never let me hear it until its finished. No-one hears a Maiden album before its finished except the band, Kevin and the studio engineers. Of course l always have thought some of our albums are stronger than others, as one would, but that varies person to person. What l found difficult first time with this was that there was no real standout track - because they are all so strong, so well played, so interesting and so well arranged. Every time you play it you get more into it and find a new favourite. And there are no fillers. On most of our albums l have thought a certain track was weaker, although l would sometimes find it was someone else's favourite. We all have differing tastes. On this one it really is a fantastic ride for the whole 70min plus, and l always get off most on the long tracks where the band can really extend themselves musically - and there are loads of long tracks on this album. Also the sound quality is stunning presumably as its now Kevin's third album with us and it just gets better as the band and Kevin get to know each other more and work more instinctively. This was recorded fairly quickly - we finished well before the expected time - and that's partly because its so live. l guarantee it, you are gonna love it. But l suppose l would say that wouldn't l, but believe me its true.

2) From: eddie_rules
Question: What serious advice would you give to any young band who are hoping to, one day, be as big as Iron Maiden and what kind of contacts are vital for such a band to have? Thank you.

Its much easier now in some ways for a new band due to the web. Demo a song, take a pic, maybe do a home video and put it up. There are sites - you probably know them better than I do - which are just great for this and you can start building a following. Of course this is down to the songs and for any rock band being good live - and being seen live - is vital. Contacts are always useful as they speed up the process by securing a gig , an interview or an introduction to a label. But most bands who make it have someone in the band to do be the initial driving force so if you are in a band be that driving force. Get yourself up on the web and hassle the local club/school/party and get yourself on stage. Everyone starts somewhere. Of course if there is someone around you with a few contacts that always helps if you can enlist their help, but if you really are good don't worry as if you have the energy and will to get yourself started locally on gigs and get some music and stuff on the web and maybe a bit in the local press you will be surprised how quickly that contact comes along. But then you have to make sure they are the right one - best advice, look them right in the eye when they are telling you what they can do for you.

3. From: Gummi_47
Question: Rod... if (or when), Iron Maiden decide to retire, what will you do??
Will you continue working in the business, or will you simply follow the boys to a simpler way of life?

When Maiden stop, l stop. I only manage Maiden although l do help out where l can with the managers of some of our newer acts like Funeral for a Friend and Bullet for my Valentine, and in Europe for our American managers on Slipknot , Mastodon and others. l do like working with great new bands but don't want to do all the travel that comes with it and all the time it takes. So l guess l have it quite good really. l do enjoy managing Maiden and always have and always get a kick out of the shows even though l see them a lot. When they finally hang up their guitars - and no l have no idea when but it will be a while as we are all really enjoying the less demanding schedules we work to now - there will still be Maiden stuff to do both with ongoing catalogue and tying up any loose ends and releasing final material. This could go on forever but if the fans are still interested that's fine by me. l will always be in touch with all the band as after all these years it really is family. But l guess l will get bored just working on record stuff and will drive them mad to go out and do some gigs again - that really is the best bit.

4) From: GhostofCain
Question: How do you choose the countries to play at?

On a tour like the end of this year its really down to the band telling me how long they wish to tour for and then my trying to use the time as effectively as possible to get them in front of as many fans as possible. Its not really about cities or countries, its really about getting to as many fans as we can in the time we have. And we really don't waste this because as you can see most of the shows are already sold out and in the main arenas. It means too that we want as many shows in the period as is reasonable to play properly so geography does come into it. If we can do 2 shows to a total of say 25,000 fans in an area in 3 days say as opposed to one somewhere else to 13,000 in those 3 days due to travel logistics, we will go for the 2. We announced some time ago that the tours would be shorter (although more regular) and some places would by the nature of things be missed out, we spent 20 years trying to get to everyone and playing long, long tours. Now we try to conserve the energy and treat every show as a major event which was hard when there were 100+ shows in a schedule. The tour length we do now works for us. l know it can disappoint but we do feel its the fairest way and we do try to balance things from tour to tour to try to get back most countries on a fairly regular basis. So if we aren't your way this time maybe next time but sorry no promises. We do our best to please as many as we can!!

5) From: GhostofCain
Question: Dear Rod,

I am a Spanish Iron Maiden that has been following the band during the last 15 years. This year I was really looking forward to the chance of flying with Bruce to one show but I must say that the high price has made it impossible. Do you know what are the reasons for the huge increase of the flight price compared to Bruce Airs of previous years? I guess that this initiative won't be a profitable one (I assume that it will cover the costs) as that would be really disappointing and will place Maiden among Kiss, Aerosmith and Motley Crue and their platinum tickets and corporate shit. I really hope that is not the case here, as it wouldn't make sense after all these years of the ""Maiden care for their fans"" message that we have been given.

I am really looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for your Maiden loyalty these past 15 years, and I am sorry the touring schedule did not allow Bruce to incorporate a Bruce Air flight from/to Spain.

For your info, these latest two trips (Gatwick to Stockholm, and Stockholm to Milan) were based not only on Bruce's availability but those of the aeroplane. Sadly Stockholm is one of the most expensive gateways in Europe, and this is reflected in the price of both trips - which this year include hotels, and in the case of Milan - 2 admission tickets to the Maiden show. You might not be aware, but the previous BA 666 flights were to relatively inexpensive cities to fly to (Dublin and Reykjavik) and were in and out the same day so did not involve standing time for the airplane or incur hotel or extensive transfer costs.
As it happens, we were not involved in the set up of the first trip (to Dublin) which was not priced properly and ended up making a loss for Bruce, so any comparison with this trip is not valid.

Bruce Air is Bruce's passion (and not related to Iron Maiden the band). Nicko as a fellow pilot joined the Iceland and Ireland trips last year and made a very big impression with all the passengers. In his absence this year, Bruce wanted to avoid comparative disappointment and so devised the idea of having a photo on stage with him (not the other band members) and the passengers before the venue doors opened. As advance entry to the hall to facilitate the photos had been organised, it made sense to keep the passengers there and let them have advance access to the security barrier. This advance stage barrier access is something that is still on offer to 60 existing fan club members (plus a friend) for all the European shows via a special lottery which will be run out of the Fan Club in August.

Until we have a take up on the tickets (and this is why deposits are subject to a travelling assessment at the end of this month) we wont be in a position to know how much margin there is in the flight. Breakeven for the trips is close to capacity but, Bruce was very keen to offer as much special value for money as he can, which is why the ticket price also includes a special Bruce Air Goodie Bag, which will be compiled nearer the event. In essence, the more seats sold, the better the goodie bag.

I do hope this makes sense to you. Its very disappointing that you would even think Maiden would follow the path indicated in you last few lines. Its just not the way we do things, l am always getting hassled to start “golden circles” and “premium bloody tickets” and we put both in the same box as Reality bloody TV. We want our fans to be able to afford to be at the front – see a later question on tickets is Germany too."

:eek:

If you ask me Flight 666 isnt as grand as a 'VIP ticket' that Kiss, Crue etc do, at least with the VIP tickets you meet the band etc, not 2 members!

For the money of the new Flight 666 I'd expect to meet all the band, not just one or two members, if your lucky

Ben said:
If you ask me Flight 666 isnt as grand as a 'VIP ticket' that Kiss, Crue etc do, at least with the VIP tickets you meet the band etc, not 2 members!

For the money of the new Flight 666 I'd expect to meet all the band, or prehaps I'm too fussy :p

I would want em to dish up the freakin in-flight meals :|

rockin_plumber said:
I would want em to dish up the freakin in-flight meals :|

For 500 pounds I'd expect to join the mile high club with Lauren Harris, and have a Steak Dinner.

:D

Back