tripod killed my BB

my BB is dead :cry:

after the tripod servercrash, my MySQL database was screwed and all data on it fucked up

it wasn't possible to restore the BB :cry:

all the posts have gone to hell :cry:

Very bad news for you about your forum :(

Your post raises a larger issue though. So many fan forums are based on free forum services such as proboards and tripod. This means that discussions, posts and information can be lost very easily.. those kind of services cannot really be depended on in the long term, as eventually they'll change names, or stop offering free hosting or something... then everything is lost.

Its one of the reasons we started this (Maiden World) board and website, and its all hosted and managed by us. For this site, we want to ensure everything stays up and available , anywhere from next week to three years from now, all the posts and content will be here and waiting for anyone who wants to read any of it. :)

A similar issue applies to geocities hosted websites, all it takes are a few complaints and the entire site can be lost (and if the person was using sitebuilder, that could mean no way to get their pages back at all).

On a side note, I know quite a bit about mySQL databases, so if you send me anything you managed to retain I might be able to save something from it. You're welcome to invite your users here to post, so you wouldnt have to worry about server stability and keeping everything running (but I realise that probably wasnt the point of having your own forum.. :| ).

MaidenMadness said:
well i have a board on proboards and i haven't experienced any problems yet

Ah but what happens when you want to move that board somewhere else? or what happens when proboards change their name to something else and all your links change?

Its those kind of uncontrollable factors that I'm talking about..

I wanted to run it on a free webspace till things get rolling rather than buying webspace and having an abandonned forum on it where nothing happens.

my BB had more than 1000 posts in less than a month...

I did keep back-ups of it but I don't get them to work :cry:

I'll buy some webspace from a proper host now which includes an own URL with top-level domain :)

Ghost in the Ruins said:
I wanted to run it on a free webspace till things get rolling rather than buying webspace and having an abandonned forum on it where nothing happens.

my BB had more than 1000 posts in less than a month...

I did keep back-ups of it but I don't get them to work :cry:

I'll buy some webspace from a proper host now which includes an own URL with top-level domain :)
well i wish you luck

believe it or not, but my BB was brought back to life :shock:

after putting it on a testaccount, I let it restore my last back-up and it worked :shock:

a SQL error came up, but the data was there :)

I ordered webspace from that webhost, my domain is online within 2 days :)

Nice. We had a slight hiccup this afternoon here, the site moved over to a new multiprocessor box, so i had to kill the forum for a while.

Transferring a ~6mb database backup in little pieces of text is no fun, but at least now its done everyone can enjoy the new faster server ;)

Back