Thinking Of Starting a Trading BB Only!!!!!

Hey everyone!

I'm thinking of starting a trading BB! It will basically encompass any kind of music. And it will be for bootlegs only, no official stuff at all.

This forum on the Maiden-World is great for working out Iron Maiden trades. But there are people who trade other bands as well, and I was curious just how many people would be interested in posting in a traders only BB about trading either through snail mail, FTP, or through whatever means you trade through.

There are several things I haven't decided yet like whether or not to make the BB a open board where anyone can join or to make it private to where only people can join that have been ok'ed by staff. The reason I'm thinking about the difference between public and private is because I don't want the RIAA to be breathing down my back about trades.

I was thinking of having area's to post for audio bootlegs, mp3 bootlegs, vcd bootlegs, vhs bootlegs, lossless bootlegs, DVD bootlegs, bootleg covers for all kinds of bootlegs, general topics, snail mail trades, and FTP trades. If any of you can think of anything I left out post it here!

What I'm basically looking to do is to generate enough people interested in a trading forum dedicated to trades only. I think it will help people find each other and what kind of trades they do and don't do. There are lots of people out there that trade in all kinds of ways and there really isn't a place that I've seen where they can get together and trade. If there is someone please point me to the BB!

Let me know what you all think and if you would be interested in something like this.

Thanks!
MP

You are in right place already. "Trading" forum. The only problem is 99% people that are trading here are in either losslees or mp3 hub, so they don't need BB for trading.

sounds good but the shame is. Most band communities already have it like this and the trading section on the iMBB for iron maiden. im pretty sure theres a metallica trading community and bb.

we all know about the digital rush expierence :wink:

and for digital trading : sharingthegroove.org already has loads of things covered.

i dont know, it could be a success but you would have some competition :)

Jon (js995) said:
Ok I know some people arent too keen on the way I go about do things, but i'll throw my offer into the discussion.

I can make a private trading forum on Maiden World that would have a memberlist controlled by one of the senior traders here, if thats the kind of thing you want. Private forums arent visible to users who dont have access, and they have completely different moderator controls to the normal parts.

In the past Maiden World has been said to be more bootlegs-focused than the other maiden fan sites out there, so maybe its appropriate.

On the upside, its an existing forum with a reasonably large userbase and plenty of resources, which is already kind of bootlegs-focused and reasonably stable.

On the downside, some people who dont like the DC hub stuff might not like being on the same board as it, and its not *completely* devoted to trading.

Open to suggestions, as usual..
I'll also add that its all very well people setting up BB's, but it takes time, effort and resources to keep one going. This one has been up for nearly 6 months, and even in that short time its taken a lot to keep it going. The power of being "admin" or "mod" doesnt make up for the work and costs over the long-term, because keeping a board going isnt about power, its about caring about the user-experience.

When you recieve 30-40 mails a week asking you stuff about the board, dealing with problems, making sure everyone plays nicely, and keeping it all together, it does make you think about why you're doing it.. (END RANT)

Jon said:
.... keeping it all together, it does make you think about why you're doing it.. (END RANT)
I know how it is. I have less work with hub then you with BB, but I do everything remotelly over 64k isdn line so it takes a lot of time to keep it going smoothly.

Jon, I understand that it takes time and its not an easy task to set out on. This isn't something that I've come up with on a whim, its something I've thought strongly about doing for a few months now. I run a rather large FTP server and have run it for 3 years now. I realise there are e-mails and questions and making sure everything runs right all the time, not just part of the time.

What I'm looking to do is get traders together in one place. Not just Iron Maiden traders but ALL kinds of traders. And from what I've seen Maiden-World pretty much deals with the 2 DC++ hubs and trading through a connection like that. But what I want to do is make a BB where ALL kinds of traders of ANY kind of music can come and find others to trade their music with. This means Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Phil Collins, Genesis, hell even 2pac or other kinds of music. I love Maiden and they are my favorite, but there are lots of other traders out there that have something to offer that is other forms of music other than metal. My main interest is metal so yes, the BB would probably be mostly metalheads there, but I want to try and get other traders in there as well.

What I've found with Maiden-World is there are lots of mp3 format, lossless format and trades like that going on but there are very little snail mail trades going on. I want to encompass all forms of trading, be it through a FTP server, snail mail, independantly through a messenger program, however someone trades music. Alot of people trade strickly through snail mail because they can't afford to get an awesome connection uploading and downloading, and that doesn't make their trades any less significant, its just makes it a little slower. Some people are on dail-up and cannot sit there and download gigs of stuff from a hub or FTP, so they trade through the mail system. My point is there are lots of ways to trade music and I think that each way is important and I want to make a BB to represent trading and promote trading. :)

MP

Back