risingorion

Hi I am a new member and
I have a lot of questions about the boots :
What is the lossless format ? How it is burned and how the conversion works
Are the shows downloaded as a whole show or one song each download ?
And other questions....
Is there a place to put covers from not official albums, like a tribute band ?
but they are really a lot... basically, could anyone tell me how the hub/program/process of registering, downloading and burning works ?

And another question/pool :
What was your favourite Maiden show of the SOMEWHERE ON TOUR, from the WORLD SLAVERY, POIECE TOUR and SEVENTH SON TOUR
THX for the help
Up the Irons
Orion

Search the net with Google for the answers about lossless, lossy, bootlegs, burning, .... Then you can check "sticky" threads in this forum about registering to the DC Hubs.

risingorion said:
What is the lossless format ? How it is burned and how the conversion works
Ok, first you have to grasp what a audio format is. Its a way of storing information about what an audio files sounded like. Lossless and MP3 go about doing this in two different ways, MP3 tries to remove the information it thinks you wont notice that much/at all from the file, to make the file smaller. Lossless, as the name suggests, doesnt remove anything from the file and instead works on finding the best way to compress all of the data.

There are several lossless formats, FLAC, APE & SHN being amongst the most common. Each will have different ways of burning, and I'm sure there are various plugins out there for various burning software. However, at the end of the day each of these formats include a tool to turn the end result back into a WAV file for sure. Once you have a WAV file, burning is no problem (so thats all you need to do, finding some plugins or auto-conversion tools might save time though).

You said about "how the conversion works" and since I've already explained about how lossless stores the audio, I might as well cover conversion from the format. Basically once you have the lossless back into a wav, you're then free to encode it into any other format you want (such as MP3 or AAC if you have an iPod or something).
risingorion said:
Are the shows downloaded as a whole show or one song each download ?
Once you understand the previous answer, this one is a little more clear. Basically its the choice of whoever ripped the original media. In any format, you can rip the entire track as one, or you can rip it as mutiple small tracks to make up the whole. The shows I've seen on the hub were in multiple tracks, but I'm not sure how common that is.
risingorion said:
Is there a place to put covers from not official albums, like a tribute band ?
I'm not sure what this question means, but there's already covers from tribute CD's to Maiden at http://www.maiden-world.com/tribute_albums.html . If you meant covers for bootlegs, then there are no archives that I know of in existence right now where you can put things (although I'd like to change that.. LOL )
risingorion said:
basically, could anyone tell me how the hub/program/process of registering, downloading and burning works?
There are various threads on getting registered to the DC hub, but you'll find the definitive instructions at http://www.maiden-world.com/dchub.html . That page also includes instructions on getting started with DC++ and a FAQ for any problems you may encounter.

I hope this post sorted a few of the issues you raised.

Back