Footballers And Black Arm Bands

Dr.Stien

I am sat here watching the Manchester United V Portsmouth game and have noticed yet again teams are wearing black arm-bands.
I think its something to do with the Munuch air disister's 47th anniversary.
I know its sad and all that but the Manchester United players might care a bit but do the Portsmouth players??? Its not like it is a milestone anniversary like 50 either.
It seems like every other week the players have black arm-bands on.
What will we have next week.... Bolton players wearing black arm-bands because the managers, brothers pet hamster has died.
Maybe the kit makers should think of incorporating them into the shirts.
Half the fans at the game probably dont know why the players are wearing them, or care for that matter.

i agree that the players wear them nowdays for just about everything. its sad but they have right to do so. but i dont see why does it bother you so much?
if they want to feel sorry for something they have every right to. as well as they also have right not to wear black arm-bands

It doesn't bother me that much.
Its just is seems to have lost its importance now becuase they wear them so often.
Half the players that wear them probably don't feel anything anyway, its just that if they dont wear them the press would have a field day.

Dr.Stien said:
It doesn't bother me that much.
Its just is seems to have lost its importance now becuase they wear them so often.
Half the players that wear them probably don't feel anything anyway, its just that if they dont wear them the press would have a field day.

I agree with that :wink: at this time, the could wear them every match cause there's always something sad in this bad world. when it's not terrorists, it's a natural disaster or an accident or a crazy killer

If I remember correctly, during the 2002 F.I.F.A. World Cup in South Korea/ Japan, the Quarterfinal game between Germany and the United States of America in Ulsan, South Korea on 21 June saw the Germany players wear black armbands to commemorate the death of footballing legend Fritz Walter, who died 4 days earlier. Walter was one of the players with the former West Germany team that won its first World Cup in 1954.

I think it's ridiculous that this is even annoying anyone!

How can that bother someone.

we still have an RIP sign from three years ago when my friend died on the highway; are we being a nuisance/living up old times to everyone because it's lost it's impact on everyone?

I don't care how someone died. No one wants to be forgotten. To someone, they care. I like it when they fly flags at half staff. I can't name one person who died in WWI, but I still morn.

Stop being selfish.

rockin_plumber said:
Did you wear a black armband
When they shot the man
Who said "Peace could last forever"

:?
And In My First Memories
They Shot Kennedy
An I Went Numb When I Learned To See

....Ahem Sorry Couldn't Resist 8)

Recently, during a Premier League match between Fulham and Chelsea, which saw Fulham lost 2-1 at home, all the Chelsea players, to be exact, wear black armbands for unknown reasons.

edge_of_the_wire said:
Recently, during a Premier League match between Fulham and Chelsea, which saw Fulham lost 2-1 at home, all the Chelsea players, to be exact, wear black armbands for unknown reasons.

:? Strange................
Unknown reasons :shock: :shock: :shock:
Dont you follow football :?

All players in Tuesday's games wore black armbands, and each match was
preceded by a minute's applause as a tribute to the Motherwell captain
Phil O'Donnell, who died of heart failure during his side's game against
Dundee United on Boxing Day.
:(

ALSO ........
Pic from game........

sfgful102.jpg

The player wearing a white shirt, just behind and to the left of the man
taking the penalty, appears to have a black armband on his left arm ,
as did the rest of the Fulham team on Tuesday.

rockin_plumber, now I get it. So both the Fulham and Chelsea players wore black armbands as a tribute to the late Philip O'Donnell, not for unknown reasons.

edge_of_the_wire said:
That's the German star Michael Ballack who's taking the penalty in the photo..........
I know that.....
I was just making it easy for any girls who decided to read the thread LOL

Am I right in saying that most of the England squad , and bench for tonights game, are wearing black armbands. Except Stuart Pearce.
In memory of the Munich crash.

Back