Bootlegs DB

BoBo

Jon said he will make it four months ago, but obviously he doesn't have time. Any with php scripting(?) knowledge that can help him?

It should be DB filled with info about bootlegs (date, venue, setlist, review, cover, photos, ....) by certain members of this BB and viewed by everyone. Someone should be able to select the date and script will show him info for all bootlegs available in the DB for that date.

Jon can expalin it better because I'm not programming web related stuff.

Thanks. You've pretty much managed to get the situation 100% right, I really am too busy to put any real time into programming the Bootleg DB at the moment, so anyone with experience in PHP/MySQL who wants to step forward is welcome to get in touch with me for more information.

Although I do hope to get round to it eventually, failing anyone stepping in.

hmm i'm doing a similar but much simpler thing for my web site. I write down setlist time city etc and a small review (reviews will take a while though). In about a week or so i'll upload it and if anybody need info just ask.
no PHP involved :)

AGuyFromNY said:
hmm i'm doing a similar but much simpler thing for my web site. I write down setlist time city etc and a small review (reviews will take a while though). In about a week or so i'll upload it and if anybody need info just ask.
no PHP involved :)

Yeah, you're doing a very similar thing, except with PHP/mySQL in the mix it can be made faster and kept up to date more easily. By the time theres like 1500 bootlegs in a PHP/mySQL system you can just change the scripts around to show different things, or add new stuff. If you have 1500 pages, it gets hard to change things. Also the database approach allows searching/indexing by certain fields.

Its the same task though, and I'd be impressed to see the end result of your work.

Scripting is better because you can easily change resulting page. If you have it in html you have to change it in all pages.

A good example:

http://www.maiden-world.com/bootlegs.html

All of the entries there are pulled from a database, both the index page and the individual item pages.

That doesnt seem particularly useful, since its just achieving what a bunch of HTML files would anyway. The real power is when the scripts can do work on the server.

If I remember correctly, Bootleg Manager has a "Look up this Bootleg" option or something linked into Maiden World's current (very limited) bootleg list, a feature that works by calling a script with a specific date. In fact, I just found it...

http://www.maiden-world.com/bootlegs/in ... 1981-06-26

That was just a few features I managed to scratch together on the old and limited system. A fully data driven system with all the information would be a very useful resource, since you could go through by tour/year/whatever, search for things, add reviews/ratings etc, but the scope of the project does cause the problems in getting it out there and on the net.

Yeah i know that if you do something more complex like DB on this site you can't really do it without PHP. But I took a different approach - I don't include covers or fancy layout. I prepared a template file (black letters on white background :) ) and now all i need to do is to fill in the blanks. To see this you will simply click on the date of a gig of your choice. I also don't go with 'official' bootleg names - i think those confuse people more.

Well, the point you raise about bootleg names is quite important, but its something I had to consider when thinking about the new system

Basically as far as I can tell, theres a date, time, venue, setlist and lineup associated with the concert. Those should stay the same for all bootlegs, so bootlegs need to just reference this information from the record of the concert. Bootlegs only have unique information like their title, recorder, recording information, any notes about their recording and quality, etc. This limitation isnt apparent until you come across concerts where multiple bootlegs exist, and its also important that a bootleg DB can do this because of the multiple DVD/CD releases of the same kind of thing (hence why its a massive project).

Covers are an issue of contention too, since theres some prominent cover artists *cough* who hate the idea of anyone but them hosting their covers, and there are multiple different sets of art for some bootlegs, by different artists.

The Bootleg DB is designed to be a permanent archive for the material, that can be carried forward for years to come, hence hosting all of its own materials is neccessary. Too many cover artists lose all their work on Geocities to make linking to their own sites an option, especially talking in years instead of months.

Well, i don't know php/mysql very well. I could help you only if it's asp technology.
Do you have a schema of your DB ?

Some of us care. :D

I like that line "I will not burn mp3s as Audio CD". I could only wish other traders would that.

BoBo said:
Some of us care. :D

I like that line "I will not burn mp3s as Audio CD". I could only wish other traders would that.
yeah this was one of the reasons i took down my metallica list
people asked me for met shows and when i told them that i wouldn't record as audio i'd loose a trade. Besides, recording mp3 as audio is just a waste of cd.

Back