Best Of compilations - good or bad?

MaidenMadness

how useful they are. i mean the fans of a band that have most of the bands work clearly dont need it. but what about newcomers to the band?
when somebody doesnt know the bands work would you recommend him to buy a best of or rather some album? whenever i am getting into a new band iforst thing i acquire is best of compilation unless i know its a genre like progressive rock/metal where the concept of the album overall is more important that songs on it.
true best of compilations mostly leave out some great songs cause the chance of somebody liking just about every song the band chose as their best work is...........almost nonexistant, but most of them give a good view of the bands work throughout the years and they may give a person a insight of an album/albums he might like

yeah, I personaly think that Iron maiden miss with Best of the beast, but some people like best of the beast because there you have ''song for everyone''. and I do the same thing with other artists or I find some mp3 and I have all albums of some band or some singer. but I thing that compilation is one way to get some easy cash, you don't have anything to record you just put a few good songs on cd and if you are BIG like Maiden you allways have a crazy fans who want everyone.

IMO, Best Of The Beast was a pretty good compilation, in its 2 Cdrs format.

It contained almost all the best Maiden songs plus some rare stuffs. The package was really great. I have absolutly nothing to complain about this one.

About the 2 others ..... They are pure shit IMO ...

Ed Hunter : i can believe that the Iron Maiden was voted song n°1 by the fans ....

Edward The Great : nothing new ..... very average compilation ...., only 1 CD, etc .... very incomplete. ..

The first CD i had of iron maiden was "Edward the Great" and i think it's a coll compilation as it contains many good songs.
Obviously compilations and best of aren't always good but I think that by listening to a best of you can decide wether or not the band is in your style....which is harder to see by listening to an album as sometimes bands record some crappy albums.

In conclusion I think that it is usefull for new fans to have the possibility of buying a "best of" or a "compilation" to get to know the band.

maiden89 said:
The first CD i had of iron maiden was "Edward the Great" and i think it's a coll compilation as it contains many good songs.
Obviously compilations and best of aren't always good but I think that by listening to a best of you can decide wether or not the band is in your style....which is harder to see by listening to an album as sometimes bands record some crappy albums.

In conclusion I think that it is usefull for new fans to have the possibility of buying a "best of" or a "compilation" to get to know the band.
of course your conclusion is drawn with the assumption that the compilation gives one a good insight on the band's work
but that is not always the case
sometimes it happens that best of compilations is full of songs that made best commercial success. and these songs arent neccesarily the best ones
example: to me songs like mother russia, to tame a land or flesh of the blade are among best maiden songs but you wont find them on any best of compilation

MaidenMadness said:
of course your conclusion is drawn with the assumption that the compilation gives one a good insight on the band's work
sometimes it happens that best of compilations is full of songs that made best commercial success. and these songs arent neccesarily the best ones
example: to me songs like mother russia, to tame a land or flesh of the blade are among best maiden songs but you wont find them on any best of compilation

yeah, that songs are legends

MaidenMadness said:

You're right....but still by listening to a best of you get an ideo of wether you should buy an album of that ban or not.

My :2c:
If there should be made a Best Of compilation, it should be cheaper than the other albums, 'cause it doesn't really have anything new in it. Thou some bands put like one or two songs in Best Of's to encourage fans to buy it - which is quite annoying 'cause you practically have to pay 20€ from a single :roll:
If someone asked me what is a good best of, I'd say Gamma Ray's Blast Form The Past. All songs are re-played, this is really good treat to die-hard fans and it works as an introducer to new fans (which I think is the idea of Best Of's).
Personally I own only one Best Of, Metalworks, and I can say that I regret on buying it. Actually I'm maybe selling it. Why? I have all the songs from it on CD's now, and I don't listen it. I could sell it and buy more CD's I haven't herd.
Instead of Best Of's I buy live CD's and/or just random - good CD - from the band.
Conclusion: Best Of's are a good thing, but not always/for all :D

you've 2 types of compilations: the Best of and the greatest Hits. The gooddest choice you can do is the best of for sure. Why ??? the best of is really the best songs of the artist or the band (it's to the choice of the artist often)and the greatest hits is done of songs which had a run at the top of the charts. An Example to explain : Take Iron Maiden, you have 2 choices of compilations in their discography :The best of the beast and Edward the great. The tracklisting of The best of the beast is really interesting with long pieces and live songs (and you can imagine that songs had been chosen by the band) and Edward , which one had been decided by the label to do some money : the songs on this greatest hits are all hits knew by everyone and had been edited on single.

So if you want to discover a band for his real work, take the best of.
Don't forget that singles are only wrote to investigate the charts in the world et make money.So it can be the more interesting part of the band.

Did you prefer the old Edward the great the new one-they changed some songs and the thing that gets me is that they swapped Fear of the dark-rock in rio for Fear of the dark-death on the road when Fear of the dark-rock in rio is sung perfectly and the start of Fear of the dark-death on the road is sung out of tune!!!!!! :? :? :?

Best of compliations = just another way for a band/record company to cash in

But I think its a good way to start to get into a band

its how I started with maiden

same here. my bro got edward the great on sale and gave it to me, and then i found best of the beast used

i personally like best of the beast better

i think compilations are alright as long as each one doesnt have all the same songs. same with live albums, but i like the original albums way better

I agree with the fact that alot of time they leave out good songs but alot of the time if I've only heard 1 song by a band and I like it, i'll go and bye a best of CD because generally, it has there key songs on.

Back