My Ozzfest review *SPOILERS*

I know it's been 2 days already but since there's no other threads concerning Ozzfest in this forum, here's my review. My day started at 6 A.M. EST because we had to be on the road for 8. I met up with some friends from high school and we headed up to The Tweeter Center. The first band I saw was Soilwork, and although their setlist was short, they still kicked ass. After I had found out where my seat was, I headed up to the second stage where I met up with my brother who had been looking for me to let me know that I had to buy Iommi's new CD quickly to meet Tony Iommi at a booth. There were only 150 discs available, and I made it JUST IN TIME!! The lady also told me that I had to get Geezer's new disc so I could meet Geezer because I had to meet both of them, and I was honored and happy to do so, so I did. As an added bonus, I stumbled upon a booth where Soilwork was signing autographs. At first, I didn't want to believe it because everything seemed too strange by this point, I thought I was dreaming. You had to be 21 to meet Soilwork so you could get a shot glass with the poster (no one under 21 was aloud in the booth) and being 26, I passed with flying colors. I met them and got my poster signed, of course, I tried to be as professional as possible rather than being a fanatic. I'm not 16 anymore, I'm getting old!!
I didn't see any other second stage bands because I was carefully guarding my new discs and signed poster. My brother and I also met up with someone who looked just like Tony Iommi! He also met Tony around the same time I did. After lunch, and meeting up with more of my friends, the moment came for the wait. Another guy sho looked almost just like Ozzy showed up, and we got a picture of Ozzy's and Tony's look-alikes. I waited for an hour in the sun, almost passing out until the moment of truth came. I didn't say much to Tony, as I wanted to be as profesional and business like as possible. Of course, I had to tell him it was an honor because I had been waiting 10 years to meet him (for the Tony Iommi look alike, he waited 35 years to meet him, but I'm only 26, so I haven't been around quite as long), and I wished him luck on the tour. He was cool but in a rush, and I didn't want to be of any inconvienvience because I fully understood where he was comming from. He signed my Fused Cd and we shook hands, then it was time to meet Geezer. Geezer was wicked cool, and I pretty much said the same thing, because it was true and I was highly nervous when I met both of them. I think I told him something along the lines of "Mr. Geezer Butler, it's an honor to meet you, I've been waiting 10 years for this and good luck on the tour and god bless you." I have also heard many times that he's a practicing Catholic and being somewhere on the Catholic and Greek Othodox split, I wished him well and we shook hands. He also signed my new Geezer disc, Omhwork. I also met Pedro Howse who was also cool, and Clark Brown, and we talked a bit about Worcestor, MA (his hometown) and East Coast metal. I told him that I was proud to be a part of it all and I wished him well. Afterwards, I bought some water, as I was becomming increasingly dehydrated. Afterwards, I caught Zakk's last song, I'm just glad I've seen him 3 times beforehand. Shadow's Fall was great, and I'm still not too familiar with their songs so there's no setlist posted here. Mudvayne was heavy, but they're not one of my alltime favorite bands. The mighty Iron Maiden was next, and this time, there were no assholes throwing shit like the last time. Most of the people were very cool in my section, and even the smart-ass ones to the right of me were more respectful than the assholes I encountered last year. The people to the left, back, and the ones in the front were wicked cool. Iron maiden was on fire, in top form. They didn't play Remember Tomorrow or Prowler as I had hoped for but they still played the song I hoped to hear the most; Running Free. They also played Phantom of the Opera which was a unexpected added bonus. I went nuts for them. Here's the complete setlist:

Ides Of March (intro)
Wrathchild
The Trooper
Revelations
Run To The Hills
Phantom Of The Opera
Number of the Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Iron Maiden
Running Free
Sanctuary

Some asshole threw a guitar-shaped glass at Adrian, and he walked off the stage during Sanctuary, only to show up in the last minute of the song. I didn't see the glass hit the guitar but I saw Adrian walk off. I hope that asshole gets his. Maiden still kicked ass, and then Sabbath came on. Ozzy sounded much better than during some of the previous Ozzfests. Here's Black Sabbath's setlist:

N.I.B.
After Forever
Warpigs
Faries Wear Boots
Dirty Women
Iron Man
Symptom Of The Universe/Sweetleaf/Electric Funeral
Into The Void
The Wizard
Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath/Paranoid
Sleeping Village/Children Of The Grave

I left during the second half of Paranoid because I had to meet up with my ride. It was a choice between staying, or being stranded and having an all night walk home, which I was in no position for. I've heard both songs so many times live in front of my face anyways, so I respected my friends and brother. I already had no voice, no energy, and no drive whatsoever by that time anyways. I had a killer time and I got more than my $90.00 worth; by getting much, much more than what I had asked for; by meeting Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, Pedro Howse, Clark Brown, and all of Soilwork. On the way home, I clenched on to my poster and CDs like Ralphy at the end of A Christmas Story with the Red Rider BB gun.
Yesterday, I met up with some of my friends, one of them is Metal George, a journalist from Metal Maniacs Magazine and a good friend of ours (my brother and I). We had a metal party with our friends, blasting The Haunted and other metal bands, and boozing up (I only had two Smirnoffs because I was driving) and we headed to the bar to do some Kareokee. I didn't sing because my voice was still shot, but my friends covered The Trooper, Warpigs, Goodbye to Romance, and others. A bouncer and someone else covered a Britney Spears song (two dudes sang it) and we did a bunch of silly, stupid dances (we danced around in circles, then I did The Robot). I hung out till 2:30 before I finally headed home. There was an incident where one of my key items was stollen in Lowell, but it's been recovered and that's my huge Celtic crucifix which I'm wearing right now. I just got it back today. It's been a great, strange, crazy, and fun 3 days which will live on in my own metal history book. I saw Danzig, Sonata Artica, Chimaira, Judas Priest, Soilwork, Queensryche, Iron Maiden, and Black Sabbath all in the same year; this year. It's been a great year for metal and a great year for me. I waited 9 years to see Maiden and Black Sabbath in the same year at the same show, and I finally did the other day. I never expected to see so many of my favorite bands this year, and I got more than what I hoped for. All in all, I'm a very happy, lucky man! :bananarock: :bananallama: :edmetal: :fist:

Manowar said:
Great review dude, thanks :banana:
Your welcome, Manowar and cheers AfraidtoshootEddie :cheers: . :bananarock:
I'll be posting a review on Joe Siegler's Black Sabbath site soon, complete with pictures of Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler, the signed disc, and my ticket stub. Everything will be posted as soon as we get the film developed. :)

Why do idiots pay to go to gigs just so they can throw stuff at the bands?
When I saw Motorhead last year some jerk threw a bottle at Lemmy, It missed. Just.

Lemmy turned in the direction of where it came from and said: "I've been doing this for 30 years.... You don't DESERVE to throw things at us.
Up here we're an easy target. Why don't you stop hiding in the crowd and come up here for a proper go and I'll kick your teeth in you little c*nt!!!!!"

I stood there and thought, "He's got a point, you know!"

afraidtoshooteddie said:
Why do idiots pay to go to gigs just so they can throw stuff at the bands?
When I saw Motorhead last year some jerk threw a bottle at Lemmy, It missed. Just.

Lemmy turned in the direction of where it came from and said: "I've been doing this for 30 years.... You don't DESERVE to throw things at us.
Up here we're an easy target. Why don't you stop hiding in the crowd and come up here for a proper go and I'll kick your teeth in you little c*nt!!!!!"

I stood there and thought, "He's got a point, you know!"
I definatly agree with you and Lemmy. As for Maiden at Ozzfest, I hope that guy either got thrown out and arrested or a broken nose at least.

Back