MP3 help

tay666

Ok guys.
Is there any way that this show is not lossy?
87-01-09.JPG

Here is a short clip (about 500 kb)
http://tylisaari.com/misc/boots/freq/87-01-09.wav

Yeah, that is why I am asking.
I prefer to assume a show is lossy until I see somthing that tells me it isn't. This one, I am not sure what it is telling me.
Frequency graph looks very odd.
Spectral doesn't look good.
But it has a beautiful sound and is much longer than any version I have seen on anyones list yet.

(which reminds me. In case you don't know from the dates on the image and the clip, this is Jan 9th 1987 Pittsburgh PA
98 minutes including an almost 6 minute track of the taper leaving the venue.)

Bobo, please post jpgs of the FA and SA of your recording and tell, in detail, why you think it's mp3. I was just going off on the unofficial Maiden bb about how this whole system just doesn't cut it for me because of all the ambiguities and how some say mp3, and others say not-mp3 for the same FA/SA.

BoBo said:
mp3 100%.

I will show you FA of my version tomorrow.

Can you tell me the disc times for your show as well?
I have seen lossless versions listed on sites like sebastiens, and my disc times are way off.
I'm wondering if this might be a different version.
I am also trying to get more info from the trader I got this from.

Quick update.
This seems to be a new source.
The guy I got it from got it directly from the taper.
He trying to find out what was used to record and transfer the show for me.

First, spectral analysis is useless not just for this one, but for any bootleg. The reason is that SA consists of FA (vertical lines in SA) next to each other. Instead of values on vertical axis on FA we have color change. How precise it is depends on resolution of screen. Lets say it's 1000x900 pixels. So for whole file you can see only 1000 FAs. When you watch dynamical change of graph in FA you can see hundreds FAs in one second. For human eye is much more easier to see difference on graph line going up on FA and down then difference in color on SA. So, the only good method is to watch FA while wav file is playing.

Ok, back to this bootleg. Let's assume it's different source. If you got it from taper nothing you can do. If he says it"s from his master then you should accept it is like that. If not then you have to check it.

From my experience 99% of Maiden bootlegs before mid 90s must have streight line on FA at -80, 100db. It can start from 10 kHz or above. Something like this.

http://www.maiden-world.com/live/images ... ulouse.jpg

That means this bootleg is not like that. It has cut at 10 kHz and it's full of spikes bellow that. Typical sign of compression. If no one can guarantee master is like that I would not accept it. Even if you listen you can hear freqs above 10 kHz are cut.

Of course I can't be 100% sure, but when you check several thousand bootlegs you can feel when something is wrong.

That is why I posted.
Because this just feels wrong. And the reason I asked, is there any way this isn't lossy?
I got this from someone whe knows the taper.
Hopefully he can find out recording and transferring equipment. That way we will know where the compression came into the picture.
If it was during recording, then nothing can be done about it.
If it was during transferring then a better copy is possible if the master still exists. Either by convincing the taper to transfer properly or possibly getting a hold of the master.

As to spectrals. I have seen people talk about spotting MP3 on spectral by zooming in to 1 or 2 seconds of the song. Then looking for the compression artifacts in the spectral.
I can't get the hang of it myself. But I do use spectral as a guide.
If the frequency looks iffy, but the spectral doesn't have that flat 'haircut' look. Then I lean towards lossless. But if the frequency looks iffy and the spectral does have that cut off look. then it is another clue that it is probably lossy.

Wait until you get info from taper.

One more thing about spectral. You can hardly notice difference between MD and mp3 in some case with just spectral. Spectral will show cut, but with FA you can see it's not streight cut, but little rounded one.

Back