maiden-world.com site future uncertain? NOT ANYMORE! :)

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
If any of you can help, it would be greatly appreciated. Site development is stalled until we can deal with these issues.

Use this link to view the thread as it develops on the official board, or I have quoted the text of my post below.
http://www.ironmaiden.org/bb/showthread ... post723839

I'm one of the admin's for Maiden World at the moment, and the site is still under development. We've been talking to Vegueta and realised that there could be some legal implications from the site.

Obviously within the next couple of days I'll read the UK and US copyright statements in full (since me & manowar , the other admin are both in the UK, and its possible the site might be hosted in the US).

I feel its important to stress that maiden-world itself has no bias towards trading, and the plans so far just include a bootleg database with the setlist, lineup and covers. Thinking about it , I cannot see how this is illegal in any way, as if we removed the covers we could concievably call it a "Gig Database".. I dont think its possible to be sued for putting a list of gigs.

Also, on a similar note, copyright issues are involved with the covers themselves. We're really keen to get in touch with anyone who's made covers for Bootlegs, as we wish to attribute each cover with its correct copyright owner. (And also to credit the skills of those who made them).

If you have other things that you've created and would be willing to let Maiden World use, we'd greatly appreciate it if you could e-mail us with information.

Our e-mails, along with other contact information can be found at our site, here: http://www.maiden-world.com/about/

Thanks for your time, and any response you may be able to give.

Jon
Maiden World Admin

(P.S.. Thanks Vegueta for your help on this, its greatly appreciated :D)

as long as you have a statement concerning this on the site and saying that if someone sees their work on the site and can prove ownership then your willing to remove it i really can't see there being much of a problem. Have a look at a few T&C's from other sites to get a general idea, but as long as you make a statement and are willing to cooperate if something does come up then you should be covered.

Copyright Law (& how it affects Maiden World)

Unfortunately its not quite so simple. The UK Government has a complete collection of legislature online, and the "Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988" is one of these, and here's the relevant part.
  • A person commits an offence who, without the licence of the copyright owner—
    • makes for sale or hire or
      imports into the United Kingdom otherwise than for his private and domestic use, or
      possesses in the course of a business with a view to committing any act infringing the copyright, or
      in the course of a business —
      • sells or lets for hire, or
        offers or exposes for sale or hire, or
        exhibits in public, or
        distributes, or
        distributes otherwise than in the course of a business to such an extent as to affect prejudicially the owner of the copyright,
      an article which is, and which he knows or has reason to believe is, an infringing copy of a copyright work.
    A person commits an offence who—
    • makes an article specifically designed or adapted for making copies of a particular copyright work, or
      has such an article in his possession,knowing or having reason to believe that it is to be used to make infringing copies for sale or hire or for use in the course of a business.
    Where copyright is infringed (otherwise than by reception of a broadcast or cable programme)—
    • by the public performance of a literary, dramatic or musical work, or
      by the playing or showing in public of a sound recording or film,
    any person who caused the work to be so performed, played or shown is guilty of an offence if he knew or had reason to believe that copyright would be infringed.

Ok, publishing Lyrics without the consent of their owner is definitely illegal. So thats got to go (or I will have to find some way to contact the copyright holders of every maiden album :| ).

Its looking a lot like I'm going to have to get permission for every single bootleg cover I put on the site from the person who made it (which in some cases are companies that dont exist any more.. their copyright still lasts 50 years).

Also I'm still continuing to see what can and cant be put up. More soon.

By the way, this copyright issue does not affect the board or the pages about the DC hub, so those will stay up no matter what.

Just to make it clear :D

Jon, just go ahead with it and have a statement on the main page saying something to cover you as best as it can. Emi and certainly maiden will not take you to court unless you post something shitty about them as well.

ok well i have a question. how can someone prove his ownership of a bootleg for example. are bootlegs legal to put it the other way?

You can't go outside no more, physically or virtually, without consulting lawyer. ;)

Have you considered asking Skunk if she could help you? She could probably point you in the right direction of who you need to contact in any event.

Yeah, that was posted in the thread on the official BB. I e-mailed this morning so I guess we'll see what happens.

No reply in 4 days.. hrm. I used the e-mail address stated on the thread on the official bb so i guess its just a case to wait and see if I get a reply at all.

Onward with the site :)

Jon said:
No reply in 4 days.. hrm. I used the e-mail address stated on the thread on the official bb so i guess its just a case to wait and see if I get a reply at all.

Onward with the site :)
The reason you didn't get a reply is that Skunk has been out of the office, she was back in yesterday and probably has quite a few mails to answer (along with site updates which take priority).

Suffice is to say, I got a response and its positive for the site. Full speed ahead to meet the 1st November Deadline ..

maiden-world.com site - sooner than ever! :D

oozily said:
as long as you have a statement concerning this on the site and saying that if someone sees their work on the site and can prove ownership then your willing to remove it i really can't see there being much of a problem. Have a look at a few T&C's from other sites to get a general idea, but as long as you make a statement and are willing to cooperate if something does come up then you should be covered.
you are right

Back